View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 08:39 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
First I must thank you for such a good choice of challenge, which hopefully I will be able to rise to, as I tend to read a lot. Thank you Hammerfan.

Now, before I can even consider the storyline for my novel, I have to look at what was selling at the time. In 1987, Stephen King released his famous novel, Misery, and other books such as When Rabbit Howls and Rainforest which follow the same trend, being psychological stories. It is from here that I can consider what my story should be about.

So, if I am to do a novel about psychological matters, i have to think along the lines of the psychologically troubled. And where do the psychologically troubled go? The Psychiatrist! And that is where my novel begins.

A young man named Ted Leaward is feeling completely stressed out, after losing his job, a strained relationship with his girlfriend and the threat of eviction. When he is searching for a job at a building site, a pile of bricks falls and crushes him.

Leaward wakes up in hospital, and finds out he's been in a coma for three years, having barely lived through the ordeal. As he slowly works his way back into life, he discovers his girlfriend has found another man, and his brother killed himself after his ex wife gained custody over his child.

Leaward takes regular visits to his psychiatrist, to help him cope with all of the changes that have happened. After a while, his psychiatrist, Edward Tale, gives him some new government medication to help ease stress; KEFA 1, small green tablets.

However, as Leaward begins to take the drug, he goes into trance like states of immense pleasure. It is in one of these states that he kills his brother's ex wife and daughter. Leaward is horrified, and to help ease the pain, takes more KEFA 1. Eventually, he becomes greatly addicted to the drug, with Edward Tale explaining that it helps him ease stress by getting rid of the things that cause the stress.

Leaward continues killing. It is only after a policeman sees him coming out of an empty room, smiling, that he gets in trouble. The police officer investigates the scene, after sensing something was wrong. He finds a dead body there, and rushes after Leaward, following him to a dirty apartment, where Leaward is talking on the phone to "Mr. Tale"

Leaward turns and sees the police officer, holding the gun. He rushes the officer who's gun is jammed. The policeman eventually restrains him and he is taken to the station, where a psychiatrist explains everything.

Leaward developed a love of anagrams as a child. His "psychiatrist", Edward Tale, is an anagram for Ted Leaward, and the medication pots he had, full of nothing more than Tic Tacs, KEFA 1, is an anagram for FAKE 1.

The final paragraph is of the psychiatrist leaving the police station. As he passes Leaward, he winks, then, he gets into his car and chuckles to himself as he pulls out a pot of medication with green tablets marked "KEFA 1".

The Ferrets like it...