View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 10:58 PM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwoti View Post
majority of threads nowadays are turning into arguments or silly conversations between certain members. arguments are ended, but the dribble just sweeps throughout the forum. in the past, i tolerated this nonsense as long as it was kept to 1 thread in general.

things will change, if people don't like it....they can leave.
All of you totally missed the point he made. Z doesnt know any of you all (and I m sure he doesnt care to know either) so me and you are equal to him. Its the forum he's in-charge of, which has to be reverted back to some semblance of being a General forum of Horror.com.

1st Question) - Horror.com General Forum. (Talk About Anything Here)

Many times it has been pointed out that its a General Forum, and it says "Talk about Anything". But quite frankly, nobody has noticed the first part of that line ^. Its Horror.com. A forum which is a part of Horror.com should have very less postings and lesser people coming to the General Section, and only in those times when the topics of horror are exhausted, to have a change of thoughts...and freshen up the minds.

Go and visit any other movie-related forum (I have). And you will see, the top part of the entire forum is devoted to movie-related topics. There is an off-topic forum, but it is frequented the least. Then also, every time a new thread is posted, it has a larger number of views and least number of replies. Just visit any other forum and you ll know what I m talking about.

In HDC, the situation is the opposite. Views are much lesser in comparison to other forums, and the number of replies are huge. Just make a thread and its bound to hit up 60-70 replies in no-time. In other movie-related forums, one thread takes almost a year (if not more) to hit up that many replies, especially in the General or Off-topic sections.

If you like talking, more so talking to a certain few (friends? maybe), then there's the PM option to be used. Ask em for their email addy, or their Messenger (MSN, Yahoo, AOL, ICQ all have excellent services for that) and yap away all day and night to them. An entire thread made devoted to conversation instead of discussing on a particular topic makes the purpose of making a thread totally pointless. Thats the main difference between conversation and discussion.

And thats the main reason why threads degenerate into arguments and bickering. Because the conversational part of the thread is not taken elsewhere, but posted in a common thread for all to see. Others tend to join in, and we have a verbal fight on our hands (or verbal diarrhoea, like Despare aptly named it).

You like talking to someone, add them to your messenger. Or email them all you want. No need to flood the discussion boards with threads about such stuff. There are plenty of chat-rooms available on the Internet too, use them. But spare the "Make new thread" button which was meant to start a discussion, not chats or informal conversations.

I hope this drives some sense into some people, and they dont flare up or start bashing this post of mine. I hope you all realise where you are going wrong, and why the moderators of the forum delete replies or close threads or issue warnings.

Very aptly put, Z. I commend you on the difficult job you have been doing day-in and day-out with the best that you can. Applause from me.