View Single Post
Old 11-17-2016, 03:46 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo'd View Post
In that case I can see how The Beyond wouldn't rate very high with you. I wonder, along with your preference for meaning in horror, do you also prefer more linear story telling? The Beyond is fairly linear but many surrealist films are not. Just curious as to your preference, if you have any at all. I can get behind either style as long as the film is compelling.
Yes, I liked Beyond's linear story assembly. I liked lot's of the visuals and shot choices.

Do I prefer more linear story telling? Probably.

I mean, I've seen non-linear done really well, where it's integral to the presentation -- creating curiosity, setting up suspense, etc. Every once in awhile I'll see a film, or TV ep, that jumbles up the time line and I can't see how/why it was used... where it basically doesn't significantly change how the audience experiences the subsequent sequences.

Take a film like Crash (2004)... which breathed new life into my lungs... it's non-linear, and the interweaving character/stories and ensemble cast -- that didn't bother me a second. I thought it was fantastic, and not just technically. I thought it was one of the most loving films since Yellow Submarine. Heck, should be required viewing after this election.

Last edited by Sculpt; 11-17-2016 at 03:48 PM.