View Single Post
Old 05-23-2018, 08:01 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
But I feel like she could have maybe committed suicide after she turned old, like maybe she felt that she was no longer desirable and she hated herself because of her profession? I mean in some horror movies ghosts can appear in a young form and old form. Plus Jack seemed to hold some deep resentment towards his wife so it's no surprise to me that he was thinking about cheating on her with some random beautiful naked lady. Maybe instead of a ghost she was some sort of sexual fantasy created in his mind and he turned her into an ugly old hag when he felt guilty for cheating on his wife?

I dunno, I'm not exactly an expert on things like that.
Sure! Could have been. It's a valid and interesting thought.

You asked me what I thought. Her being a prostitute or suicide victim didn't cross my mind. And I don't think Kubrick (director/screenwriter) intended for the audience to think about her as a specific person or victim (beyond being disregarded as a real person). I don't even think she was meant to be a prostitute... in this story. I just think she was an apparition of the evil force trying to enlist Jack, which would entail infidelity to his wife and family.

Last edited by Sculpt; 05-23-2018 at 08:03 PM.