Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-31-2016, 04:06 PM
Evil Dead

Do Transsexuals Eat Women?

https://medium.com/@ranibaker/do-tra...548#.3oesnfdls

A little over twenty years ago the GENDYS Conference included an unfortunately named presentation called “Do Transsexuals Eat Women?”, by Press For Change trans activist Stephen Wittle. It explored from various angles pop culture ideas of transsexual predation, concluding that such fear-mongering is rooted in misogyny, does immense harm to women (trans and not) and gender-non-conforming folks and the idea that crossdressing/transsexuality in and of itself manifests or harbors a predilection to violence has little basis in reality. And then, after 1994, there never was a movie with a cross-dressing serial killer ever again.

If you read the article I was able to come up with 5 non-trans killer/criminal movies off of the top of my head.

I don't think Pscyho applies.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:52 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBossInTheWall View Post
https://medium.com/@ranibaker/do-tra...548#.3oesnfdls

A little over twenty years ago the GENDYS Conference included an unfortunately named presentation called “Do Transsexuals Eat Women?”, by Press For Change trans activist Stephen Wittle. It explored from various angles pop culture ideas of transsexual predation, concluding that such fear-mongering is rooted in misogyny, does immense harm to women (trans and not) and gender-non-conforming folks and the idea that crossdressing/transsexuality in and of itself manifests or harbors a predilection to violence has little basis in reality. And then, after 1994, there never was a movie with a cross-dressing serial killer ever again.

If you read the article I was able to come up with 5 non-trans killer/criminal movies off of the top of my head.

I don't think Pscyho applies.
Quote:
the idea that crossdressing/transsexuality in and of itself manifests or harbors a predilection to violence has little basis in reality
I've never researched the data, but I would assume it has no basis in reality, rather than a little. Or am I just picking on an overused phrase?

Until I saw this, I had never considered the topic. I saw Psycho, and much later Dressed to Kill, but I most decidedly have never thought crossdressers/trans were more apt to violence or murder. Quite the opposite, I've always assumed they were much less likely to be violent, and more attuned to empathy. In fact, I confirmed that wasn't a lofty thought because when I met crossdressers or trans, I never felt threatened.

Basically, those films (I can't think of others off the top of my head) never conditioned me to think them violent.

Too often I assume others come to the same conclusions I do. Let's test this question a little... Has anyone here thought/felt crossdressers or trans were predisposed to violence or murder?

Whether or not crossdressers or trans have been misrepresented in Hollywood film... I think it's obvious they have been, and they aren't the only ones. Though they probably got the worst Hollywood depictions of anyone (murders), I don't think think that particular impression stuck.