Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-29-2007, 07:54 PM
Evil Dead

Thought this was funny...Simpsons vs Rockstar

Stolen from another site that stole it from another site, here ya go:

A while ago, we told you that Rockstar Games was "not amused" by the inclusion of a parody of one of their games in EA's upcoming The Simpsons Game.

Allegedly, a poster for Grand Theft Scratchy, an obvious spin on Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto series, sparked a spat between the two at this year's Leipzig Game Convention.

Now, EA have responded, in turn.

Executive producer Mat Selman (at left in photo) explains what's going on:
"The game begins with Bart wanting to play a game called Grand Theft Scratchy. Of course this is a parody of Grand Theft Auto. And Marge immediately takes it away from him. She tries to clean up the town and stop the game from being distributed in Springfield because Marge is against video game violence. She uses horrific violence to stop video game violence... in a video game.

Thats called irony... The people who make Grand Theft Auto, they spazzed out like little babies."
The Simpsons Game staff:
Executive Producer Mat Selman,
Senior Producer Matt Warburton

Joining the debate was Senior producer Matt Warburton (pictured at right):
"They're supposed to be rockstars... That's not a big Rockstar move, to be afraid of The Simpsons making fun of their game."
And - as we've pointed out before, it's not just Rockstar who are being made fun of. We're amassing a veritable army of videos, actually - including Neverquest, Chocoland, and the almost epilepsy-inducing Super Happy Fun Fun - as well as, of course, the Grand Theft Scratchy video, for educational purposes.

Selman was on fire, scoring another shot agains the Rockstar franchise:
"We couldn't get our game out in time, so we're afraid that the gamers — who are not morons — are going to get confused by an Itchy and Scratchy poster of Grand Theft Scratchy - they're going to think that's the same thing as Grand Theft Auto...

EA lawyers are afraid to use the name Grand Theft Scratchy in promoting the game... [Rockstar's] games are full of satire, lame attempts at parody... basically putting the words sixty-nine in wherever they can find it..."
...and, as if that wasn't good enough, he even bagged the game while complimenting it:
"Their games are amazing. Trust me, I'll be the first person in line to play Grand Theft Auto 4... in five years when it comes out."

...so that was it. Thought it was funny, bought it along.
You have to admit, they make a few good points.
From my own perspective, aside from this HUGE issue, I'm sure GTA4 will be great, the limited footage I've seen looks awesome - it's the game everyone'll buy, that's a given.
I've actually played the Simpsons game at work, and I have to say that without doubt, this one's by far ans wide the best Simpsons game, ever.