Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Foxhole Atheist

Murderland 1 H8

In a world where serial killers are treated like pop stars and the most brutal murders are celebrated by 'reap kids', lives Jeremy.

Jeremy is schizophrenic killer with no equal, but detests this reap culture. Its made worse by the fact his girlfriend Cass, the one person who acts as his anchor to humanity, is totally immersed in it.

The killer in Jeremy has a higher calling, to rid the world of the Dark Ones who impregnate women with their seed, corrupting and transforming humanity into robotic drones.

And so welcome to the start of what will be(I have no doubt) an amazing series of books.

What the author, Garrett Cook, manages best, is to keep the narrative running at a rapid pace with disturbing insights into a killers mind seamlessly flowing into everyday thoughts and actions. Somehow Jeremy, a vicious and bloody killer, is a sympathetic and likeable 'hero'.

Hopefully other people here have read this book, if not go grab a copy.

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac
Old 03-10-2009, 03:29 PM
whatever gets you through

what's the title? the description was a bit confusing to me
Old 03-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Foxhole Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
what's the title? the description was a bit confusing to me

The title is Murderland 1: H8

Basically the lead character is a serial killer who hates the media fascination with other serial killers who, in an America where they are treated like celebraties, are immune from prosecution if they kill in certain designated zones. There are programmes on the tv highlighting these killers and hand out awards called Bundys!

Despite hating these killers, Jeremy is one, but carries out his acts secretly to avoid the media spotlight. His reason for killing is that he believes some women are being impregnated by 'dark ones' who are attempting to take over humanity by turning them into drones(the man is clearly deranged!).

The book plays jeremy being a killer against his loathing for other killers. Its well worth checking out.

Hope thats a bit clearer!

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac
Old 03-11-2009, 03:15 PM
whatever gets you through

wild premise - thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 03:46 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
According to Amazon, this should be in my possession by March 18th - very much looking forward to it.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
I just want to update everyone with the exciting news that the edits for book 2 were just completed by my editor, so once I've finished adding edits and my publisher's done with the stuff on his end, the second part comes to press. Also, anybody looking for a cheaper domestic copy than the Amazon one can go to www.evilnerdempire.com. With listing fees and such out of the way, the book sells five dollars cheaper.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Foxhole Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
I just want to update everyone with the exciting news that the edits for book 2 were just completed by my editor, so once I've finished adding edits and my publisher's done with the stuff on his end, the second part comes to press. Also, anybody looking for a cheaper domestic copy than the Amazon one can go to www.evilnerdempire.com. With listing fees and such out of the way, the book sells five dollars cheaper.

You will have to keep us updated with the progress, Doc. Roll on Summer!

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac
Old 03-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Cranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
Really looking forward to part 2, Doc!

And once you're back here in Portlandia I'll be able to have a complete autographed set!

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 03-16-2009, 07:35 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Really looking forward to part 2, Doc!

And once you're back here in Portlandia I'll be able to have a complete autographed set!
Thanks. I hope to be out west in May or the early Summer.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:31 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Let it be said that I am I notoriously, depressingly slow reader. Normally, no matter how much I'm enjoying a book, it takes me ages to read it because I get so easily distracted. I put it down, forget about it for a week, read a chapter or two, forget it...repeat this 3-4 times until I get to end, ect.

That said: I read Murderland 1: H8 in one sitting. Mr. Cook's debut novel sucked me in and grabbed me right by the throat. It's an overused term that you hear in just about every book review known to man, but it's an experience that I've very, very rarely been a part of: I literally could not put this book down.

Jeremy is a fascinating character, and the world that he lives in - oh so similar to our own - is vividly painted and draws you in right away.

My only complaint about the book echoes one that has been mentioned already: there isn't enough of it. It builds up to such a wonderful climax...then, it's over. I will be eagerly awaiting Life During Wartime, and I hope everyone else around here will be as well.

(Well done Doc!!)