Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Upcoming Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Evil Dead

The Descent 2!

Celador, Pathe Gear Up for Second Descent
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
May 1, 2008

U.K. indie production company Celador Films is reuniting with French-owned and U.K.-based Pathe on a sequel to low-budget box office hit The Descent, says The Hollywood Reporter.

The Neil Marshall horror flick earned $57 million at the box office, a sizable return on the original investment on a movie budgeted at less than $10 million.

Produced by Marshall and Christian Colson, The Descent 2 marks the directorial debut for its predecessor's editor, Jon Harris.

Based on a script by James Watkins (My Little Eye), the $10 million sequel will shoot more than eight weeks on location in Scotland and at London's Ealing Studios.

The stars of the original film, Shauna MacDonald and Natalie Mendoza, will reprise their roles, alongside Gavan O'Herlihy, Joshua Dallas, Anna Skellern, Douglas Hodge and Krysten Cummings.

The script sees the survivor forced back into the system of caves she battled her way out of in the first film, in a bid to locate the rest of her group.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:08 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
This was rumored last year, but kind of fizzled out.

Not sure if I want this to happen or not...the first one was so original and creepy, I can't imagine a sequel doing any good. Plus - and herein lie SPOILERS - depending on which version you watched, the so-called "survivor" might not have survived afterall, which kinda throws a wrench in their plot.

Oh well...at least Marshall is still somewhat involved. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Infection Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Return View Post
Not sure if I want this to happen or not...the first one was so original and creepy, I can't imagine a sequel doing any good.
I hear ya there
Old 05-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Return View Post
This was rumored last year, but kind of fizzled out.

Not sure if I want this to happen or not...the first one was so original and creepy, I can't imagine a sequel doing any good. Plus - and herein lie SPOILERS - depending on which version you watched, the so-called "survivor" might not have survived afterall, which kinda throws a wrench in their plot.

Oh well...at least Marshall is still somewhat involved. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Word.

The mysterious ending to The Descent is what made it that much better. We didn't know if she survived and escaped the caverns, was killed by the monsters, or if she simply went mad and fell comatose or what not. I even read discussions about how there may have not been any monsters in the caves at all, but instead the women just went mad and killed each other off.

Either way a sequel is a terrible idea.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Fear scented candle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick_As_Fuck View Post
Word.

The mysterious ending to The Descent is what made it that much better. We didn't know if she survived and escaped the caverns, was killed by the monsters, or if she simply went mad and fell comatose or what not. I even read discussions about how there may have not been any monsters in the caves at all, but instead the women just went mad and killed each other off.

Either way a sequel is a terrible idea.
I hate what if discussions that vear away from anythign that could have been derived from the movie. "Maybe there were no monsters". Yep, there were. sorry to anyone who tried to argue that side, but there were definitely monsters.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Evil Dead

Well, to be fair, Marshall himself was the one whom started said discussions. Could've just been joking, though.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Fear scented candle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick_As_Fuck View Post
Well, to be fair, Marshall himself was the one whom started said discussions. Could've just been joking, though.
THAT is funny.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

in this one - they get deep into the caves, go back in time, and meet the Flinstones.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:36 PM
I kick ass for the lord

I loved the first movie but I cannot image a sequel. Hell, if the plot outlined above is the actual story then it sounds pretty cheesy. Pffft, go back to the cave my arse.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:12 PM
Can you dig it ?

I'm more perturbed by having what was most likely the most original and creepy flick in a very long time being dragged down into the "let's make a sequel quickly and try t make some more money as long as we have their attention" factor. A franchise usually is the starting point of total sell out and I will always quote 'Halloween' as the prototype. Great movie brought down by a myriad of inferior sequels, marketing, etc. Why can't great art just be left alone without all the extra dollars and "Part 2: The Electric Bugaloo" attached to it in a year's time ? ugh ! The biggest problem is most time it's the studio's that do it and not the filmmaker themselves. That crap always lessens an original's impact as far as I'm concerned.
CK