Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Misanthrope

Going To Pieces

Anyone checked out this doco on slasher flicks yet? I watched it last night and thought it was pretty decent. It does just scrape the surface of it all but covers a few of the classics. The Silent Night, Deadly Night controversy had me laughing... fuck some people are uptight.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:54 PM
mostly ghostly?

Yeah, I watched it quite some time ago and enjoyed it. Like you said, it forgoes any real in-depth discussion to cover a lot of different stuff.

Not bad, though. Any horror fan should give it a watch.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Misanthrope

Yeh these type of things often do that. I got pretty annoyed with the mention of Hostel and Saw when they really should've mentioned stuff like Inside.

Pretty down with checking out more docos like this anyone got any recomendations?
Old 03-25-2009, 06:33 PM
Banned

very decent watch
Old 03-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

Boogeymen - The Killer Compilation is a very entertaining watch with the audio commentary on. Stand alone, not so much. Robert Englands thoughts on all of the featured movies are extremely interesting to hear. Also, look in the credits to find at least one or two movies credited that don't appear in the film for an additional laugh.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:21 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flayed One View Post
Boogeymen - The Killer Compilation is a very entertaining watch with the audio commentary on. Stand alone, not so much. Robert Englands thoughts on all of the featured movies are extremely interesting to hear. Also, look in the credits to find at least one or two movies credited that don't appear in the film for an additional laugh.
Haha, this was actually one of the first DVDs I ever bought.
It's...yeah, interesting.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:39 AM
Misanthrope

I've got that one on VHS. Totally forgot I had it till you guys mentioned it.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:28 AM
Banned

This one is very good & cheesy....bought it on e-bay for $20. VHS

Old 03-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Misanthrope

Looks great. I've got Vombiethon its a similar deal with zombie flicks. I see the mix/comp tape is making a comeback on the torrent sites.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:18 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
Anyone checked out this doco on slasher flicks yet? I watched it last night and thought it was pretty decent. It does just scrape the surface of it all but covers a few of the classics. The Silent Night, Deadly Night controversy had me laughing... fuck some people are uptight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
Yeah, I watched it quite some time ago and enjoyed it. Like you said, it forgoes any real in-depth discussion to cover a lot of different stuff.

Not bad, though. Any horror fan should give it a watch.
I agree - I definitely thought it was good, enjoyable, and would recommend it to people (especially horror fans), but I think it spread itself too thin a bit. I think that it should have had a smaller focus: 80s Slasher, Feminism in Slasher, Sensationalism in Slasher, that kind of thing.

I agree also re the upheaval caused by Silent Night, Deadly Night. People are fucking ridiculous. If you don't want the TV to rot your kids' brains, then how about you take a more active role and be there when this type of stuff comes on. I think that Felissa Rose from Sleepaway Camp had a lot of brilliant things to say on the matter; you see an image like that of Santa Clause, you take it as an educational opportunity to sit down with your kids. Don't take it out on the movie industry.

I really think that interviews with Felissa Rose, Betsy Palmer, and Amy Holden Jones were well-done. It's great to see intelligent women talk about feminism in horror and to speak out against claims that it's misogynistic. If the whole movie focused around them and their feminist critique, I would have been happy with it.

Then again, all of the Tom Savini parts, interviews, scenes, clips were brilliant too. If the movie focused purely on his special effects genius, I would have been just as psyched. As I said, I think that it really spread itself too thin.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!