Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > New Member Lounge
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-30-2008, 05:55 AM
Caretaker

HDC lists - Classifications - Question

I see from the HDC lists a wide range of films & subcategories. I love film, but didn't realize until viewing the lists in this forum that many (if not most) of my faves are considered horror.

Is/was there a specific set of criteria that the group used to classify the films within the "horror" genre, or is it basically collective gut feelings/preferences which built consensus?

Perhaps some of the participants in the list creation can shed some light...thx.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Evil Puppy

Horror can be many things and while it is subjective to a degree I think it would be hard to argue that most if not all of the movies in our lists carry with them at the very least horrific undertones. Were there any specific movies that sparked this question?
Old 04-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to Rayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
Were there any specific movies that sparked this question?
That's what I was thinking, too...It would be easier to explain, if there were examples
Old 04-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

horror often gets blended with 'exploitation' in here - and most other horror forums.

it speaks to a certain sensibility - rather than hard fast rules for a genre
Old 05-01-2008, 06:02 AM
Caretaker

Thanks for responding. On the HDC Sub-Genres 100 list, there are a few films that I was surprised to see there (some were listed at the end as honorable mentions under sub-groups): Blue Velvet, A Clockwork Orange, Memento, The Manchurian Candidate, Schindler's List, Diary of Anne Frank, Jurassic Park, King Kong, Deliverance, and maybe one or two others. With all of these, I can see the argument for categorizing them as Horror, simply because of the nature of the content being disturbing to most people, or having some kind of biological "monster" involved. I think what I am curious about is where the line is drawn- for example, there is a sub-category titled "Human Atrocity"- would a great war picture fit in? Would a film such as Full Metal Jacket have been put into consideration for that sub-genre?

Keep in mind that my intention is not to introduce myself by jumping into an argument, but just to get a bead on how wide the net is cast- clearly the horror genre is larger than average film fans might assume. It's really a debate over semantics, but is nonetheless interesting.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Grady View Post
It's really a debate over semantics, but is nonetheless interesting.

That's just it, it's very subjective. What may seem like horror to one person may not to another. I don't think anybody here would have a problem with your question either, discussion actually happens here sometimes, once in a while without name calling! :)

The bottom line is, have fun, don't be so anal about classifying something.

Last edited by Despare; 05-02-2008 at 01:51 PM.