Old 10-31-2018, 06:02 PM
病気の

Night of the Living Dead, 68

House of Wax, 1953

Old 11-02-2018, 12:14 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I think you're right, in a way, on both accounts, that is in your first paragraph, you may be saying the potion is the vehicle for him to get laid in secret and 'not damage his Victorian image/reputation'. And in your second paragraph you're noting the film's, may I say, ridiculous theory about the good of separating the good man and the animal man -- which is not in the novel, and something I didn't like about the film.

You didn't mention what you thought the potion represented. In the short story (only about 170pgs), I think it's alluded to even more than in this or other films. I kind of think it's a bit obvious. I think it's alcohol. For many throughout history it's the potion that causes inhibition, and for some allows, or causes, people to lose contact with their higher brain function, empathy, morality, love and self control. Of course it's also a symbol for whatever else acts to do the same thing... a theory, a practice and societal system. But he does drink it, doesn't he?

Here's a quote from the film about the why he made the potion (which is not in the short story).

So, in the bold, is where it's ridiculous, that is, it doesn't really make any sense within itself. Liberate evil to fulfill itself so it troubles us no more? I'm guessing he means do it, the animal impulses, to get it out of your system? Yeah, like that ever worked. Both the book and film do point to the same thing, in that, even so with the alcoholic, the more this activity is done, the more it entrenches itself into the person/brain/psyche/soul, not the other way around. It, 'evil', or unchecked selfishness, and insanity, emerges even without the potion, and can't be reversed even with the antidote, so to speak.

Of course I recommend reading the short story, as it's only 170 pages. Love to hear what you think.
Hey Sculpt,
You're probably right about the potion being a symbol for alcohol...it definitely can change people and not always for the better. Knew guys who were nice as can be turn into major assholes after imbibing too much and like a lot of problem drinkers, Jekyll thought he could "Handle it". Also, during his month long shack up with Ivy (when Muriel is on holiday..."When the Cat is away..."), I wonder if he has to do any potion sipping or he can stay like Hyde for as long as needed.
Read the novella a long time ago-also had a CLASSICS ILLUSTRATED version of it. My wife is a big literature buff and sure she has a copy of it, so guess I will start looking.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:23 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
House of Dracula (1945)
6/10

"Count Dracula (John Carradine) and the Wolf Man (Lon Chaney Jr) seek cures for their afflictions; a hunchbacked woman, a mad scientist (Onslow Stevens) and Frankenstein's Monster have their own troubles."

It's an interesting story, with some interesting scenes, especially the trippy piano scene. Still, the story and characters are shallow, the dialogue and some acting is rather campy, it's not scary or exciting, little to no build of suspense.

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1943)
6/10

"Two hapless freight handlers find themselves encountering Dracula (Lugosi) , the Frankenstein Monster (Glenn Strange) and the Wolf Man (Lon Chaney Jr)."

I liked this better when I was a kid. If you find Costello's regular screen routine funny, than you'll like this. You'll know after the first scene with him. If not, you're in for a long show, cause this is Costello doing his thing over and over again. Other than that, there's not much there; because although the Universal Monster Characters are playing it straight, as they should, it's not convincing, especially Dracula is not at all the character he was in Dracula (1931) he's more of caricature. They get chased around, near misses, some secret passages and gags.

During the scene where Abbott & Costello bring Drac and Frank into the museum, I was really bored to tears. Just didn't find it was funny.
Sorry You felt that way about A/C meet Frank...absolutely one of my all time favorite films. It probably was Lou's routines, as he did a lot of the same shtick in their many films, but at least no Andrews Sisters were in this one. Like the Monsters in here; Dracula is really the one who sets the whole thing into motion and I find most of the big laughs involve the Frankenstein monster. Most annoying person here for me was McDougal...if only the fangs had gotten another couple of inches!

THE OLD DARK HOUSE (1932). My wife loves this one, but I find it all but impossible to get through. The whole thing feels forced and I really don't give a hoot about ANY of the characters, although Ernest Thesiger gets the best use of screen time. Perhaps Universal was making sure that Karloff would be worth the investment, but really, ANYBODY could play Morgan. Good sets, though, especially that stairwell. Don't think I can take another viewing of ODH. *1/2
Old 11-03-2018, 05:50 PM
ventricle

House of Wax (1953)
6/10

Everything isn't what it seems with the macabre displays at house of wax. Starring Vincent Price.

This film was made for 3D viewing, but besides a carnival barker swatting a rubber paddle-ball in your face, you may not notice a whole lot of 3D shots, they tend to be a bit more subtle, like getting bummed into, but it brings a more up-close effect to the direction.

It looks and feels a lot like a gothic Hammer film. Unfortunately, during it's slow, smooth pace it never flowers any of its main characters; though they're played earnestly and with disembodied passion, they all remain a shallow mystery, making it difficult to care or empathise with them. Still, the cinematography is pleasant, Price carries a charm, and it entices you to see where the mystery ends; but as you will expect, it never scoops up enough wax to fashion a meaningful climactic display.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:59 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

I really want to watch the original black and white version of Village of the Damned. I've never seen it before.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:45 PM
The Original Copycat

Black Sabbath ( 1963 )

Man, when I was a kid and saw this classic little Mario Bava anthology, it was one of the few that got to me. More specifically, the segment “ The Drop of Water “ freaked me right the fuck out, lol. One of the creepiest little morality tales of all time, and it still holds up today.

Whole lotta nope right there
Old 11-03-2018, 07:41 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
I really want to watch the original black and white version of Village of the Damned. I've never seen it before.

I've never seen it either. Too bad we can't throw a film party online and watch it all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oro13 View Post
Man, when I was a kid and saw this classic little Mario Bava anthology, it was one of the few that got to me. More specifically, the segment “ The Drop of Water “ freaked me right the fuck out, lol. One of the creepiest little morality tales of all time, and it still holds up today.

Whole lotta nope right there
Yes! I totally agree! It freaked me out as an adult. So beautifully shot and directed. The other two were forgettable to me.

Last edited by Sculpt; 11-03-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:30 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
I've never seen it either. Too bad we can't throw a film party online and watch it all together.
I think I'd also like to try and read the novel "The Midwich Cuckoos" which the movies are based on.

https://bloodymurder.files.wordpress...ch_penguin.jpg

It's just a very unique concept for a horror story.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:46 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:

Yes! I totally agree! It freaked me out as an adult. So beautifully shot and directed. The other two were forgettable to me.
VOTD is pretty good and George Sanders turns in a stellar performance.

"A Drop of Water" is incredibly creepy and I find "The Vurdulak" impressive as well.

2000 MANIACS (1964). Follow up to Herschel Gordon Lewis's BLOOD FEAST is a better made film, but still pretty bad. Almost a splatter film of BRIGADOON, there are some brutally gruesome scenes and probably unintentional humor ("Rolling in my Sweet Baby's Arms"), but the film suffers from low budget and amateurish cast. **
Old 11-07-2018, 11:28 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
VOTD is pretty good and George Sanders turns in a stellar performance.

"A Drop of Water" is incredibly creepy and I find "The Vurdulak" impressive as well.

2000 MANIACS (1964). Follow up to Herschel Gordon Lewis's BLOOD FEAST is a better made film, but still pretty bad. Almost a splatter film of BRIGADOON, there are some brutally gruesome scenes and probably unintentional humor ("Rolling in my Sweet Baby's Arms"), but the film suffers from low budget and amateurish cast. **
Splatter film of Brigadoon. Speaking of Brigadoon, did you like Sweeney Todd? Just cause it's a musical.