Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-12-2019, 11:56 AM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 4,995
Most Fun Video Games You've Played?

Most Fun Video Games You've Played?

I think there's a difference between 'very addictive' and 'fun'. There's some games I played incessantly, but not having traditional fun. But what's fun to you? Challenge, story, emotion, thinking, playing with others, laughter, explosions?
__________________
.
.
.
.


Last edited by Sculpt; 01-16-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-12-2019, 11:56 AM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 4,995
Duke Nukem 3D: (First Person Shooter, PC) Well balanced. Had a good mix of simple natural movement/mechanics, simple but varied weapons, enemies and puzzles. It was fun to quick plan on using a laser trip mine, a pipe bomb or a bazooka... and if you blew yourself up, you could laugh because the reload/re-spawn was quick and never far back.

I played it with a buddy of mine, we'd switch off after one of us died, or started a new level. Great way to play!

Main character was funny, and had a compelling story. Levels were just the right length, boss battles were compelling but not too difficult. Each level or so added new enemies with different abilities -- like stun you, shrink you, freeze you, etc. To boot, there were hundreds of quick d/l of fan created levels that were good, beautiful and interesting.
__________________
.
.
.
.


Last edited by Sculpt; 01-12-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-15-2019, 10:27 PM
ImmortalSlasher's Avatar
ImmortalSlasher ImmortalSlasher is offline
Immortal horror fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: In a dark moonlit forest.
Posts: 1,158
I don't know if I've played many funny video games. I heard that the old Conker's Bad Day is funny. But I never played it. I didn't want to play a crude animal. Those old PC Leisure Suit Larry games were supposed to be funny. I remember struggling to play them because they had questions that kids had difficulty answering. Thus, the game wouldn't start.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-16-2019, 04:54 AM
cheebacheeba's Avatar
cheebacheeba cheebacheeba is offline
What the shit?!?

 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,602
I'm not reading any replies so I don't flavour my answers any.

I don't necessarily think that all "good" games are fun.

I'm just going to go with games that I've played that haven't stressed me in a negative way? They're probably none too serious, but lets see what I come up with. I think I'll draw a line between fun and funNY too.
I want to try and get a good list going on.

#1 stands on it's own - BISHI BASHI SPECIAL

Also thought I'd mention the Uncharted stuff...for as much as they CAN stress me ...quality title that playing, and watching the characters interactions and stories unfold, is such a pleasure it's just "fun" no matter what to me. Stress fun?

Crash Team Racing - Well...yeah...best cart game ever.

Bulletstorm
Donkey Kong - The "long" version on gameboy.
Bomberman World (arcade)
Incredible Crisis.
LocoRoco - One of the few examples of innovation/gimmickry gone right.
The Punisher (arcade)
Metal Slug series.
Vendetta.
EAGLES NEST
Runark/Growl
Star Wars - Rogue Squadron.
Streets of Rage series - 2 player.
Revenge of Shinobi
Earthworm Jim.
Alley Cat.
Bomb Jack
Ratchet and Clank (The first ps3 one)
Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Medieval.
Far Cry (1)
Cadillacs & Dinosaurs
Lode Runner.
Snow Brothers.
Irritating Stick/Maze.
Mario 64.
N Ninja
Commander Keen...or really any old apogee series.
Max Payne.
Bubble Bobble.
Lego Star Wars.
Ape Escape.
Die Hard/Dynamite Cop.
Warcraft 2
Rocky Legends - PVP of course.
Rolo the Elephant.
The Final Fight (just 1, never played the sequels)
Quack Shot.
Jet Li - Rise to Honour. Like playing a movie. Difficult, but fun.
Mario Kart 64.
Virtua Cop 2.
Rocket Knight Adventure (preferred over "sparkster")
Painkiller.
Zombies!/Ate My Neighbours.
Cannon Fodder.
Crypt Killers.
Gauntlet series, across the board really.
Marvel X-Men Legends and Ultimate Alliance series.
Unreal Tournament (first one, dreamcast era for me - pure arcadeykillfun)

Shit. There's too many...

But yeah, those are some of those that I've enjoyed over the years. Easy to pick up and play and generally a good time.
__________________
The door opened...you got in..:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-16-2019, 05:50 AM
fudgetusk's Avatar
fudgetusk fudgetusk is offline
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 229
I went from Gameboy to Xbox and the first game I played on Xbox was JET SET RADIO FUTURE.

A wonderful looking game indeed. I played it till dawn came up. Sent me a little mad.

I miss it. It was fun in a way that DOOM 3 was not. That was more of a challenge.

God, I gotta get another game system.
__________________
Here's my music...

https://alonetone.com/fudgetusk/tracks

Last edited by fudgetusk; 01-16-2019 at 05:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-16-2019, 11:08 AM
BudMan's Avatar
BudMan BudMan is offline
enoonmai
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 587
Some of the things you can do in Far Cry 5 are pretty "funny"...also a fun game IMO. Same goes for Just Cause 3.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-16-2019, 12:29 PM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 4,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
I don't know if I've played many funny video games. I heard that the old Conker's Bad Day is funny. But I never played it. I didn't want to play a crude animal. Those old PC Leisure Suit Larry games were supposed to be funny. I remember struggling to play them because they had questions that kids had difficulty answering. Thus, the game wouldn't start.
I meant Most Fun video game, not Funniest.

Sorry, I was having a little fun with the word fun. People often say funnest (the word in the title), but they don't write it. Websters dictionary now also lists fun as an adj that can be written 'correctly' as funnest, funner, etc. I'll ask Hammerfan to edit my title. Interesting experiment. = )

Leisure Suit Larry -- yes, I tried playing that game when I was a kid, and I couldn't answer those questions either. Besides that game, I don't know of any funny games either. But I ask a pal of mine who probably knows of some. I did play this game where one of you weapons caused a great white to pop out of the ground and eat your enemies, that was hilarious!
__________________
.
.
.
.


Last edited by Sculpt; 01-16-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-16-2019, 12:59 PM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 4,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
I'm not reading any replies so I don't flavour my answers any.

I don't necessarily think that all "good" games are fun.

I'm just going to go with games that I've played that haven't stressed me in a negative way? They're probably none too serious, but lets see what I come up with. I think I'll draw a line between fun and funNY too.
I want to try and get a good list going on.

#1 stands on it's own - BISHI BASHI SPECIAL

Also thought I'd mention the Uncharted stuff...for as much as they CAN stress me ...quality title that playing, and watching the characters interactions and stories unfold, is such a pleasure it's just "fun" no matter what to me. Stress fun?

Crash Team Racing - Well...yeah...best cart game ever.
Unreal Tournament (first one, dreamcast era for me - pure arcadeykillfun)
So true, games don't have to be fun to be good. Maybe more so enjoyable than fun? Lots of people love the story like in Mass Effect, or flat out love challenge like first person shooter team deathmatch in COD4 or Chess, or winning which different than challenge like those 'kids' who hack the hell out of a game and kill everybody and claim victory.

Unreal Tournament --
was a great multiplayer pure arcade kill fest game. My friends and I played a ton of that, usually teaming against the bots which were good. Had to hate Tamerlane headshooting you in 1 sec flat (we'd have the bot difficulty very high). The flack gun was my baby, I could drop those rock-nades anywhere, but loved to switch weapons cause they were so varied. Had to love the disc-gun that could ricochet those discs around corners!

Un-Wheel Tournament --
Speaking of racing games, Unreal Tournament had a mod called Unwheel that was a really fun racing game. Ever try that?
__________________
.
.
.
.

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-16-2019, 01:10 PM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 4,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgetusk View Post
I went from Gameboy to Xbox and the first game I played on Xbox was JET SET RADIO FUTURE.

A wonderful looking game indeed. I played it till dawn came up. Sent me a little mad.

I miss it. It was fun in a way that DOOM 3 was not. That was more of a challenge.

God, I gotta get another game system.
Jet Set sounds like fun. I was never into the ski and skateboard games myself.

I would have played Doom, but I was hooked on Dukenukem. Played some of the Hexen and Doom demos. Eventually would move on to Half-life, Counter Strike, Unreal Tournament(s), Call of Duty(s), the new Wolfenstein, etc.

Did you ever play XBOX's original Godzilla fighting game? That was one I was interested in.
__________________
.
.
.
.

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-16-2019, 01:17 PM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 4,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMan View Post
Some of the things you can do in Far Cry 5 are pretty "funny"...also a fun game IMO. Same goes for Just Cause 3.
I played a little of the Far Cry original demo way back when, was adding more freedom and openworld to the genre.

Looking at the Just Cause 3 trailer, looks like some really excellent action combat and creativity -- got to love the grappling hook!
__________________
.
.
.
.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:23 AM.