Old 06-16-2019, 02:43 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
Marathon Man: Good stuff. Hoffman was on point, Sir Laurence Olivier was convincing as a creepy Nazi. Also funny to see a young William Devane.

It's one of those classic seventies thrillers. Is it okay to say they don't make'em like that anymore?
I guess it's not safe to...

Old 06-17-2019, 02:02 AM
Evil Dead

ARTHUR (1981). Dudley Moore's drunk act is more depressing than funny these days and the film itself hasn't aged so gracefully, but still a fun watch of a "Poor Little Rich Boy" looking for true love. Many good character actors, but feel a slumming John Gielgud (who won an Oscar for this ) grabs the film and runs with it and he provides the most laughs, particularly when he visits Linda apartment. ***
Old 06-17-2019, 11:54 AM
ventricle

Thunderball (1965)
6/10

The 4th James Bond film staring Connery. It was fun to see where most of the parody content for the Austin Powers original film came from, which is this film -- the cat in the lap, Number 2, the card game introduction, ransom to NATO/UN, etc. But other than that, the story and plot is not very engaging at all (in contrast to the excellent Goldfinger film). It seems more like a parody of the previous Bond films in that it seems to be going through the motions with the Bond clichés, but it still seems to be taking itself seriously, and hasn't yet become overtly ridiculous (relatively speaking to the later Connery/Moore films). There's a rather lack of setup for scenes which could otherwise be suspenseful and otherwise weighty to the plot. Because there's very little character development given to the supporting characters around Bond we of course don't care about them and don't become invested. There's some Bond fun to be had, but much of it, especially the ending sea battle becomes very tedious.

Last edited by Sculpt; 06-17-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:16 AM
basementdwellingnay-sayer

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094752/
Black Roses

Really cheesy but cheesy in a good way. I watch this a few times a year. I love how the girls turn into monster sluts and Lizzy Borden on the soundtrack. All of my VHS tapes have been in storage (far away) for years. So I was reduced to watching it with Russian audio yelled over the English online until now. I found it streaming in English finally.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:48 AM
Evil Dead

DAY OF THE DEAD-1985. Talked to my brother yesterday and he told me Joe Pilato *(Captain Rhodes) passed away recently. So in honor of JP (who was awesome at cons) , I will watch him chew the scenery with panache and have one of the funniest albeit disgusting exit lines.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:40 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
DAY OF THE DEAD-1985. Talked to my brother yesterday and he told me Joe Pilato *(Captain Rhodes) passed away recently. So in honor of JP (who was awesome at cons) , I will watch him chew the scenery with panache and have one of the funniest albeit disgusting exit lines.
Why does Rhodes yell Salavar at the end? I know which character he was, but I don't get it.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:14 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Why does Rhodes yell Salavar at the end? I know which character he was, but I don't get it.
Maybe despite all his venemous comments, He had a soft spot for Miguel, as Steele said. "Hey...it's gonna be a long Winter!"
And here I always thought it was "Choke on 'Em!"

BIG BAD MAMA (1973). Ideal Roger Corman Drive In fare with Angie Dickinson with her two daughters trying to grab a piece of the American Dram via Bootlegging/Armed Robbery/Kidnapping etc. Plenty of slow spots, but entertaining enough and AD looks incredible in her early 40's. Her nude scenes were a big selling point as POLICE WOMAN came out on TV a year or so after this, but the most frightening parts involve making whoopee with William Shatner! Maybe that's why Captain Kirk was always leaving the bridge! ***
Old 07-05-2019, 10:58 AM
basementdwellingnay-sayer

The Curse 1987
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVgikAaoKtE

Cheesy but I still like it.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:29 AM
This is a test

DAY OF THE DEAD 1985

Just because.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Evil Dead

The Fog...One of the best 80 movie.