Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Horror Filmmakers
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-29-2004, 08:26 AM
Evil Dead

ive seen suspiria and phantom of the opera and hated them both. is there a argento film that is any good????????????
Old 09-25-2005, 09:56 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally posted by damien
ive seen suspiria and phantom of the opera and hated them both. is there a argento film that is any good????????????
Terror At The Opera's great not as confusing as some of his other films.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:43 AM
Your funeral... my trial

I prefer Argento's films. His use of color and the camera is unmatched in horror film. De Palma has made a few great movies, but he has made some really bad stuff as well. I can't think of any Argento film that I would consider to be bad. Then again, I haven't seen The Card Player yet.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by damien
after viewing suspiria a second time and watching his other movies. i am now a huge fan of dario. i juts finished watching deep red it is a great piece of work. so my advice is if you didnt like it the first time please give it another chance.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:21 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by noctuary
I prefer Argento's films. His use of color and the camera is unmatched in horror film. De Palma has made a few great movies, but he has made some really bad stuff as well. I can't think of any Argento film that I would consider to be bad. Then again, I haven't seen The Card Player yet.
I think it mostly boils down to perspective. Dario Argento's Phenomena was what impressed me about his style. Then I saw several other films of his...

Bird with Crystal Plummage
Cat O'Nine Tails
Deep Red
Tenebrae
Suspiria
Sleepless
The Card Player

...and that just basically did it for me. As far as style goes, yes, Dario certainly has a flair for "bella figura" films which look vibrant with colour and the cinematography is sometimes breathtaking. But there's not much substance there to hold his movies upright for me.

I didn't even know much about Brian de Palma when I started watching his older films...

The Fury
Carrie
Dressed to Kill

...it's not a difficult choice. Brian de Palma would be a few notches over Argento any day.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:47 AM
Evil Dead

Argento, no contest! Salut!
Old 11-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Jester

I say Dario Argento, simply because of my love for giallo. However, I still love Scarface to death.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:45 AM
Scares Little Kids

Yeah--I have to pick Argento as well. Both are essentially Hitchcock obsessives -- but I feel like Argento takes Hitchcock as a starting point for his own dark obsessions, whereas De Palma just re-imagines Hitchcock movies. and at this point -- with Femme Fatale, he's even started referencing himself.