Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Horror Filmmakers
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-14-2008, 06:36 AM
blondebabe09

Thumbs up children in horror please help!!

:) hey!!
i need peoples help on what they think about horror filming and the use of children in horror films for my critical research paper which is due very soon so if any one could please help that would be very helpful.
1.) what do you think of the representation of children in horror, how are they mostly represented?
2.) which films portray this representation best?
3.) is there any or has ther been any effects of horror on children apart from James Bulger,?

or of any other opinions you have on it would be very very helpful!!! :D :D
thanks!!
xxxx
Old 06-14-2008, 09:15 AM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebabe09 View Post
3.) is there any or has ther been any effects of horror on children apart from James Bulger,?
How does this have anything to do with horror, other than it being a horrific tragedy? Are you saying the kids who killed this toddler did it because they watched scary movies?

Watching, reading, listening or creating horrific imagery/stories doesn't make people violent. Bad parenting/abuse and psychosis are the cause.

The entire point of horror is to be cathartic, to help people release thier pent-up fears in a safe environment.

As for kids in horror - kill 'em. Kids die in the real world in greater numbers than adults, yet this ratio is grossly misrepresented in film. There is no impact left in killing a sexy young teen, but taking the life of "an innocent" as so many people like to put it, has the power to shock and upset - which is the core of catharsis.

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 06-14-2008, 10:44 AM
whatever gets you through

i hate the way they never come back and tell us their findings (or at least their grades)
Old 06-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Living Dead

Dont make them zombies, I hate that use for children like that

But I agree with Roderick on this one, children dying and people seeing it makes a great emotional impact on the audience, not so much teens because they arent really the innocent as the younger ones are, especially infants...as sad as it may be but I like Roderick's idea and the statistic he just stated

(elephant_lost is my other alias.....like srsly)
Old 06-18-2008, 06:36 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
I'm not sure what you have been researching but there is no proven link between Childs play 3 and the murder of James Bulger. Maybe yer critical research wasn't critical enough. The film was never brought up in the trial at all - the link between horror films was an off the cuff remark made by the judge.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:26 PM
The Jesus of Suburbia

Send a message via Yahoo to DarkwingMantis
I actually respect a movie that kills off the kid. It shows the director and the distributer has a set of balls

Old 07-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Director of the Dead

Send a message via AIM to horrorchic Send a message via Yahoo to horrorchic
Red face

Since this response is almost a month later I will assume you are done with the project.... But I will answer anyhow.

1.) what do you think of the representation of children in horror, how are they mostly represented?
Answer: ) I think that the representation of children is seen as either the child of satan of children from hell. Selldom do I see a shild as the star (I actually mean the one to beat the "killer") , exception in some a few of the Child's Plays. Now seeing children as monsters seems too easy. We should try to see them in a higher light I think or victimize them too, that would be fine.

2.) which films portray this representation best?
Answer: ) Omen, Child's Play, Children of the Corn, Good Son, and Rosemary's Baby. (There are plenty more, I just don't remeber all of them off the top of my head.)

Answer: ) I agree with many others, this was not a case in which violence was casue or seemingly caused by movies or media. I think that they were just horrible children from abusive homes that needed to vent. It was a horrible, horrible tradegy. Much like the case of Eric Smith child killer also. In my socialology class we learn too much about children and what drives them to kill, in this case Eric did not like the attention that the younger child had received. Blaming the media may be bad form in this case. It is more like ticking time bombs of emotion and pent up issues with no resolve.

Hope this helps if it is not too late.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Bleed the Freak

Send a message via AIM to LilMissScareAll Send a message via Yahoo to LilMissScareAll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Usher View Post
Watching, reading, listening or creating horrific imagery/stories doesn't make people violent. Bad parenting/abuse and psychosis are the cause.

I agree...it's stupid to assume anyone kills someone else "because of a movie" or "because they're horror fans". :rolleyes:
But I do think they should put more kids in horror movies because it's not seen as often...it's of course, mainly older teenagers or people in their 20's.