Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-24-2015, 04:43 PM
Indie Games & Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerfan View Post
The Gallows

I liked it, but I didn't care for the ending. I don't understand why they don't let the audience use their imagination sometimes.
As Above, So Below was one that left some things to the imagination, in my opinion. I still liked The Gallows, though. I was getting really excited towards the end, but the last couple minutes were awful, I agree.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:50 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
Ouija -
I only watched the original Last House on the Left because it was by Wes Craven. But I wish I didn't see it. That's getting at the subject matter I was talking about in The Ward and Silent House too. It's just really bad behavior.
Same here. LHOTL was just a cruelty exploration film, and not a good film either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
tbh I actually know more women that like horror and action movies than guys.
yes, but do you also just know more women, &/or are most of your friends girls?

Quote:

The Vatican Tapes (2015)

Another day, another exorcism.

5/10
i was looking forward to your review! that's all ya got?

Old 07-24-2015, 05:04 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roiffalo View Post
Horror movies in general are not for everybody. If you were to label a group to them that would be best suited watching them, it wouldn't be 'woman' or 'man', it would be something like... 'bold', 'thrill seekers', 'creative types who need an outlet'.

My sister and I (may come of a shock to you but I'm also female) grew up on Star Trek/Wars, Indiana Jones, Superman, Batman, etc. If someone gave me the option of watching the Notebook or gouging my eyes out with a spoon, I'd ask them if they had a grapefruit spoon to make my task easier. Just about every male I know is scared to death of spiders, and some of bats, when I myself have no problem with spiders and am actually very fond of bats (my girlfriend too).

Point being; it's a new century. Stereotypes don't apply anymore, so let's let them get old. What you think may be true for one group is most likely JUST as true for another, therefore how is it fair to associate the one but not the other? The movies you watched you watched because they interested you, where as I'm just as happy to watch something else like Wolfcop. So maybe those two movies that started this all are actually not 'for women' but for 'ImmortalSlasher'.

It'd be nice to see the childish trend of 'everyone else is doing it so I should to' get cut down in its tracks. Do what you want to do. Let people do what they want to do without fear of being judged for it.

(This probably seems long, unnecessarily rant filled, and off topic, but I implore you to consider how you use stereotypes. As in not using them. Movies are for everybody.)
I like horror movies because of the dark and spooky environments, certain themes, end of the world type stories, and the breaking of certain rules having crazy things happen. Many times you get to see the character of people in these situations. Which is something you don't see in the usual type of movie. And of course I like the strange monsters, aliens, boogeymen, zombies, etc.

I think it's rare from the girls that I've met for them to honestly like Sci-Fi, Horror, Adventure, Comic, Spy and other male type movies. The majority of girls I've met would only watch so they could get a guy. I only met maybe more than a handful that actually like those normally male type movies. Perhaps it's more now. For example back when I grew up there wasn't a huge cosplay market and the Internet was for computer geeks. I know on occasion I read comic articles where girls or women, I don't know, complain about certain female comic character costumes. But these characters were created for a male audience. Not for realism.

Perhaps I am using a stereotype or a generalization, I usually try not to as there is always the person that won't fit in whatever category. As it seems in this case. But there are always many that do as well. I think I'll spoil the two movies in question to clarify my thoughts and why I came to the conclusion and statement that I made.

SPOILERS BELOW!!!

The Ward -

I watched this because it is a John Carpenter movie. Plus the cast looked strong. Here the twist is that the main character is alone and all the other characters are from her imagination. She created them to protect her mind from the trauma of being kidnapped and raped. The killer is the traumatized persona and therapy if I remember correctly wiping out all the other personalities. Even the main character we are watching is just one of the latest imagined characters from the victim.

Silent House -

I watched this one because of the one take nature and the trailer made it look good. Like a scary haunted house type movie. Not a psychological thriller. Again this is another rape twist with the main character reliving some of those past moments in the form of a shadowy non-existent figure and hallucinations. Also she makes up characters while actively going around subduing her Father and Uncle off screen to the audience. Finally killing her Father and potentially leaving her Uncle to die from a gunshot wound.

This sort of thing is not for me and certainly not worth a second watch. If I knew the twist I would not have watched these movies. Maybe I would have watched The Ward just because it's a John Carpenter movie. But I don't think the average guy would if these were sold as what they are. I mentioned LMN movies because you see many broken woman themes in those movies. How do I know that? Because on occasion I'll flip channels and see a notable actress in the movie and either watch some out of curiosity at what the actress in doing in this sort of thing or just read what it's about. It's almost always the same sort of story. According to the wiki and what I've seen that network is aimed primarily at women. Thus my comments about The Ward and Silent House.

Now on other topics: bats, spiders, and horror reviews. Bats are no problem. I used to go crawling through caves and tons of bats were there. Small spiders don't bother me either. It's bigger ones that I thankfully never encounter that freak me out. Probably because of Dr. No and this movie:

Arachnophobia -

I saw this in theaters way back then it was released. It's still a great horror movie. A small little town gets invaded by killer spiders. It sounds like a joke but it's good. Seeing the intelligence of the spider and how it goes for revenge and jumps is freaky. The movie has some comedy bits too with the bug infestation management guy. Also when a spider bites one character he says it felt like a cougar. That always cracks me up that a small spider could bite like a huge animal. This is worth a watch for those who haven't seen it.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:08 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
yes, but do you also just know more women, &/or are most of your friends girls?
Nope. I go to an all guys school if that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
i was looking forward to your review! that's all ya got?
I've just been posting it like that recently because I figured no one cared lol. Good thing I post them on IMDb as well. I also just like posting the poster too cause they look good o3o

The Vatican Tapes (2015)

I haven't had such low expectations for a horror movie in a while. The trailer wasn't flattering at all and made it look like an incredibly generic found footage exorcism flick, and now that I've seen it, I can confirm that that is only half true. Despite the title, it's not a found footage movie, but it is a generic possession movie. In The Vatican Tapes, 20-something year-old Angela (get it?) gets possessed by a demon, but it's not just any demon; it's the Anti-Christ himself. A priest and two Vatican exorcists team up to try to exorcise Angela before it wreaks havoc on humanity. Surprisingly, The Vatican Tapes is actually a movie that gets better as it progresses, although that's really not saying too much. The first act of the film is its worst. Every exorcism movie cliche you could possibly think of is stuffed into twenty excruciating minutes, and it definitely made me fear for the rest of the movie. After that, The Vatican Tapes does get more interesting ever so slightly and has a couple of decent scares because Angela is now in a mental hospital, but still nothing we haven't seen from other, better movies. A black raven has to announce the next "scary scene," which completely ruins any tension the film might have had because the audience is now going to expect the next big obnoxious jump scare. The plot eventually decides that there should be an exorcism scene, and after a particularly lazy attempt to say why Angela is discharged and sent back home, the audience finally gets what they paid for. The exorcism scene itself takes up the last 20 minutes of the movie. It's admittedly pretty cool to watch since there are a few creepy and intense parts, and the pace slows down a bit to allow some atmosphere to build up. There's still this inescapable feeling that everything is still all too familiar to anyone who's seen a good possession movie. Then the ending comes. The ending is actually the only part of The Vatican Tapes that I wholeheartedly enjoyed. It ended the movie in a rather dark and powerful way, so much so that I'd like to see a sequel just to see where they could go with that ending. Even with the surprisingly good ending, it's not enough to warrant a recommendation for The Vatican Tapes, a been-there-done-that exorcism movie that has about as much soul as the possessed Angela. Another day, another exorcism.

4/10

Last edited by horcrux2007; 07-26-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:23 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Nope. I go to an all guys school if that helps.

I've just been posting it like that recently because I figured no one cared lol. Good thing I post them on IMDb as well. I also just like posting the poster too cause they look good o3o
I sometimes read your long reviews, please do keep posting them. : )
Old 07-24-2015, 05:31 PM
Evil Dead

A team of professional ghost finders are trapped in an old village hall. The haunting they set out to investigate turns out to be far worse than they anticipated. Who will survive and what will be left of their souls?

High marks. Very well done. Especially because it all takes place in a school class room(hall). 'Hammy', but not. Campy, but not. The guy on the poster is great in the film. Bad things happen in the movie, but I wasn't endeared to the characters. Yet I enjoyed them still. Some of it could seem campy like I said, but it also worked well. The characters were your typical horror movie archetypes, and the very end was predictable. Did not stop me from enjoying it. Its basically a fun movie, not an emotionally gripping/draining film or gore riddled gross out. I do concede a little bias in that I particularly like movies when its about people investigating paranormal stuff. If its done well of course, which it often isn't.

7/10
Old 07-24-2015, 05:37 PM
I am the turtle lord

I recently watched Shadow of The Cat.
I'm glad that the cat was able to kill those murdering b*******.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:00 PM
Evil Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
Also when a spider bites one character he says it felt like a cougar. That always cracks me up that a small spider could bite like a huge animal. This is worth a watch for those who haven't seen it.
He might mean that they both hurt as much.
Ever heard of the bullet ant? They say a bite hurts as much as getting shot.

Iron Sky (2012)
Thumb resize.
Second viewing. Liked it more than the first time.
For those who don't know this one. It's about nazis who hid on the moon near the end of the war and are making their return.
It's a fun and original movie with some clever jokes and pretty sweet special effects. And moon nazis!
I think it's has all the elements to become a cult classic.
Now let's hope the sequel will get made as it'll feature Hitler on a T-Rex.
Yeah, you read that right. Adolf riding a dinosaur.

Dark Was The Night (2014)
Thumb resize.
B+
Decent creature horror-thriller with Kevind Durand (The Strain) in the lead.
Reminded me of an X-Files episode.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:33 PM
病気の

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBossInTheWall View Post

A team of professional ghost finders are trapped in an old village hall. The haunting they set out to investigate turns out to be far worse than they anticipated. Who will survive and what will be left of their souls?

High marks. Very well done. Especially because it all takes place in a school class room(hall). 'Hammy', but not. Campy, but not. The guy on the poster is great in the film. Bad things happen in the movie, but I wasn't endeared to the characters. Yet I enjoyed them still. Some of it could seem campy like I said, but it also worked well. The characters were your typical horror movie archetypes, and the very end was predictable. Did not stop me from enjoying it. Its basically a fun movie, not an emotionally gripping/draining film or gore riddled gross out. I do concede a little bias in that I particularly like movies when its about people investigating paranormal stuff. If its done well of course, which it often isn't.

7/10
I really enjoyed this one aswell. I agree with your score. : )
Old 07-24-2015, 09:17 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Blackwood (2014)

>>: B-

Final Girl (2015)

>>: C-

The Death of "Superman Lives": What Happened? (2015)

It could be the weirdest & funniest Superman film ever but still much deserving than any of Joel Schumacher's Batman film, IMO.

Girl House (2014)

>>: C

Evangeline (2013)

>>: D

Project Almanac (2015)

The Remaining (2014)

>>: C-

Meet Me There (2014)

>>: D+

Infini (2015)