Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-26-2006, 12:50 AM
Pirate of Bengal

No doubt, he has created some extraordinay superb stories (like The Dark Half, The Green Mile etc.) but I don't know... why I didn't enjoyed his most of the endings !?!:confused:
Old 09-26-2006, 01:15 AM
(sw) Fake Shemp (sw)

he's overrated but cell is really good.....i borrowed it off a friend and he agrees that it was really good......its a must read book of now cuz its so tied up in contemporary culture

"It's a DISASTER...a DISASTER! Spelt with two 'O's... like 'DOOM'!!"
Old 09-26-2006, 03:52 AM
Hellraiser

Overrrated? hmm, i don't think so. As a storyteller i think he does quite well in laying his work out. (The Dark Tower series & the stand is a good testament to this).

He may have a few stories below par by his own standards, but taking into account the volumes that he has, can u blame him?

When i first started reading King (think Pet Sematary) i didnt think i was reading a "horror" writer, just a good story. In so many different genres / themes, some so far from "horror" (Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile, Colorado Kid) that its strange that he's still on the mantle.

He's gone thru a killed-off psuedonym, collaborations, tv-series, big-screen, radio, screenplays, shorts, online downloads, sports columns and many many avenues to get his work out. Dont think any other writer would be as adventurous.

Just finished the Talisman again, now gonna dig into Black House.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:22 AM
(sw) Fake Shemp (sw)

i never said i wasnt a fan.... i love his work but some people hold him up to be better than he is

"It's a DISASTER...a DISASTER! Spelt with two 'O's... like 'DOOM'!!"
Old 09-26-2006, 08:38 AM
Hellraiser

sorry for the long-winded post. tho didnt mean it to be an attack or anything, just my 2 cents worth. no need to get defensive about being fan / not.

havent got my hands on the cell yet, waiting fot it to be out on paperback here ... still waiting.

biding time now reading ellery queen paperbacks from the 60's
Old 10-02-2006, 07:32 AM
For Vendetta

Am reading "From a Buick 8" right now and curiously it reminds me much of Christine...

hmm...
Old 10-03-2006, 12:00 PM
maineman

Well I'm currently reading The Book With No Name by Anonymous which is scary as hell because the plot revolves around a book with no name by an anonymous author, and everyone who reads it dies!!
I picked it up because I read on another forum that it was written by Stephen King. Don't know if that's true or not, but it's a great book all the same.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:51 AM
Hellraiser

Been checking online about The Book With No Name .. sounds curious. Tho i hardly think its King's doing, still wouldn't put it past him to "branch out". Will wait for further news and see.....
Old 10-16-2006, 05:30 AM
Evil Dead

lol you guys are

so crazy. Stephen King rocks now and always, i agree Edgar Alan Poe rocked and still rocks but since he past he is a legend but can't write anymore. i miss him and i didnt even know him at all lol. but he will be terribly missed.

Go Angra speak ur mind.

Scaredsilly you rock. hey there i am scaryminda15 or Minda. nice to meet you.

2.) I'll come back i always do but dying is such a b*tch i <3 chucky

3.) What would you do if harm came your way turtley harm.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:59 PM
Undead

I've read a lot of horror authors, but I keep coming back to King. At the end of the day, I find his books the most enjoyable read. Favourite is probably It.

I also love Clive Barker, but don't count him as horror so much. More dark fantasy, like Tanith Lee. I love Imajica and Abarat (more for his illustrations).

I don't think King's the god of horror, but he is certainly the closest living thing we have. Nobody has contributed as much to horror as Stephen King. Not even Lovecraft, who may have had a great imagination (and I do like his stories), but was an awful writer and pretty mush a failure in his day. His current popularity is due to August Derlith's marketing more than Lovecrafts skill.

Poe was brilliant, but I don't think he contributed as much as King currently has, which is probably more to do with modern communication and marketing.