Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-15-2005, 01:14 PM
Scares Little Kids

Night of the Living Dead in Public Domain

This is pretty old news. But I learned not to long ago that NOTLD - the original - fell into the public domain. I've heard it was due to a legal fluke and a simple error on Romero's part. A number of site have some fairly controversial re-edits out there. The Survivor's Cut is the one that most people look at with utter contempt or adore.
Does anyone have any links to Romero's opinion on re-edits and re-releases of his movie?
One one hand, it was his creation. A brilliant work of art that launched a thousand ships so to speak. Part of me sees it as tragic - and the re-makes as blasphemy.
But another part of me thinks that fans getting the opportunity to create their own edits and share them - like fan fiction - is kinda neat.
So I'm torn.
http://www.marsdust.com - fandom
lifestyles, celebrity interviews, forums
and fandom links
Old 08-15-2005, 02:45 PM
Evil Dead

i havent heard about this. what is the survivors cut?
Old 08-16-2005, 10:36 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Sad state of affairs. Yesterday I got that and House on Haunted Hill on one DVD...at the dollar store. I also found out looking around for stock footage a few months ago that rights to Nosferatu could be bought for four hundred dollars. I wish there were an organization for preserving the rights to classic horror movies.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:39 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
You'd be surprised how many horror movies are public domain...
Old 08-18-2005, 07:23 AM
Can you dig it ?

'Profundo Russo' ('Deep Red') from Dario Argento is in public domain as well. Legally, you could buy any one of the movies at your local cut-out bin, copy it and sell as your own as long as you don't use the menus or artwork that are included on the DVD. A legal loophole over the music being copywritten is another matter (hence 'A Wonderful Life' was snatched out of public domain a few years ago by Turner Networks) so I'd suggest checking into that before opening up your online custom DVD store. I've done a lot of research on this since I want to make an updated version of 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' and often have public domain movies playing on tv in background of my films.
'NOTLD' fell into public domain when the title screen was changed at the last minute. Back then, the copyright to the film had to be properly displayed. Guess what the title editor forgot ? The rest is history.
CK
PS Avoid the '30 Year Anniversary Edition' with "newly added footage". The newly added footage is recently shot stuff, bad scripting and horrible acting (including this version's composer). Worse yet, other scenes have been cut down or deleted all together. John Russo did a terrible disservice to the film's legacy.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Hellraiser

WOW,that's just sad.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:23 AM
Undead

Send a message via AIM to evildeadfreak
night of the living dead

I'm sorry but did anyone else besides me feel bad for the black guy in the night of the living dead? I mean he fights zombies all night and then when he gets out of the house he gets shot because the guys thught he was a zombie. I just always felt bad for him.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:29 AM

Did He get out of the house?
I thought He got shot while looking out the window.
Well regardless, I feel Your pain and have always felt bad for Him. :(
Old 11-23-2005, 12:51 PM
Undead

Send a message via AIM to evildeadfreak
Quote:
Originally posted by zomb5150
Did He get out of the house?
I thought He got shot while looking out the window.
Well regardless, I feel Your pain and have always felt bad for Him. :(
Your right.... He was shot looking out the window but like he got out of the basemant with dozens of zombies on the other side.

Old 11-24-2005, 01:10 AM
No charge for awesomeness

Yep. That certainly comes as a shock the first time you see the film. One of my favorite endings of all time... Waaaaay ahead of it's time, in my opinion.

I never felt bad for him because he's just an actor and wasn't actually killed after a night of horror, but I can see how you (and many others) can sympathize with the character making it through all that shit just to be taken out by humans at the end.

Anyways, I love the ending. Return of the Living Dead has a similar ending too, which I also loved.