Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Horror Fiction Posts
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-05-2008, 07:42 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
LEADERBOARD FOR THE OGRES AFTER THE FIRST TEST

Bloodrayne - B-,

Bwind22 - D,

Cactus - B,

Dude Guadalupe - C-,

Freak - D-,

Roshiq - B+.

Be mindful that the grades are calculated on an average basis. We will have final grades when the third Test is over.

The First Test for the Goblins will be posted after the next 24 hours. I ll ask all Goblins to be online then.
Good God. I have a feeling that I'm going to get annihilated.

Good show, guys!

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 12-05-2008, 08:10 PM
mostly ghostly?

Yeah, I'm definitely nervous.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:26 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
Yeah, I'm definitely nervous.
My knee jerk reaction was to come back with a, "Yeah, well, you SHOULD be - FOOL," but, seriously, the turnout of that first round seriously has me rattled. :o

Old 12-05-2008, 09:18 PM
No charge for awesomeness

Note to future contestants.... Don't cast dead actors. It doesn't go over well with the judges.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:46 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
I'm confident that if I got my info (actors around at the time etc.) I could present it well, but I'm not half as knowledgable in horror as most folk around here so I reckon I'm pretty doomed. DOOOOOOOOOMED!

The Ferrets like it...
Old 12-06-2008, 06:23 AM
For Vendetta

THE SECOND TEST OF HDC IDOL 2008-09

I am here to address the Goblins. Each one of you is given a task which you have to perform to the best of your ability, wit and innovation, based upon the knowledge you have of the genre.

For the second Test, the common theme chosen is - ALTERNATIVE REALITY.

Here are your tasks, Goblins :-

- Alkytrio666 : Visual media is non-existent. The only popular medium which people use to get entertained is the radio. You are in charge of a local horror radio station and desperately need listeners to tune into your broadcasts. What can you possibly do to get people tuned into your station's wavelengths and make it a popular one?

- ChronoGrl : Several critically-acclaimed flicks have failed miserably at the BO - Night of the Living Dead, The Exorcist, Jaws etc. all have been flushed down the toilets. For some reason, the audiences arent willing to accept any of those horror flicks. You are a talented and eccentric filmmaker who is hellbent on making the audiences turn towards horror. What ideas can you use to conquer such hard-headed audiences of the world?

- FerretChucker : The world in which you have grown up is one without sound. People get their share of entertainment by silent, fast-moving pictures projected by huge projectors in theaters. As a horror picture-maker, you have a really awesome idea which you foresee as a potential world-wide phenomenon in horror silents. What would be your pitch to big studios, and how would you go ahead with making it?

- Fortunato : You are the casting director of one of the most ambitious horror projects ever dreamed - Aliens. James Cameron gives you full backing, but there's a glitch : Sigourney Weaver has moved on to other projects and is NOT returning back. You go ahead and contact some Cameron favorites - Michael Biehn, Bill Paxton, Carrie Henn, etc. but are repeatedly turned down by all of them. Given the same plotline as the original, who would be your casting choices for all those characters in it?

- X¤Murderdoll¤X : You are in a reality where people love only vampire movies in the genre. Every other sub-genre flicks flop totally at the BO. Given the audiences' collective taste of vampires and more vampires, every known idea from literature and the medias have been exhausted. The top studios want you to make yet another vampire money-spinner. Do you have a fresh idea for a vampire flick to make a mark in the oversaturated audiences' minds?

- The Flayed One : Dario Argento has just contacted you, a musician and a composer, to do the music for Suspiria. A major point to note - Goblin doesnt exist. Which soundtracks/songs can you possibly use to impress Argento, and for the overall composition of the entire movie...and make the movie click with all gialli lovers?

- Vodstok : 1950s. After 3 continuous years of creature/monster movies which have failed to impress the audiences of the world, Universal is looking for fresh ideas and innovative filmmakers. They feel more justified in doing so when Invasion of the Body Snatchers releases to much critical reviews and flops at the BO. Can you make the audiences turn back to horror with a novel script for Universal? Who would you insist upon making your script into a movie for them?

All of you have 48 hours to do your researches, write down your ideas, and pitch them in front of the Judges. The Judges will be your peers in each scenario, and if you manage to win them over, you stand to score the maximum. When you are ready, send me a PM or post your entry in this thread (WITHOUT EDITING), and the Judges will read em and post their criticisms and praise, if any.

If any of you dont post your entry within the next 48 hours, you stand DQed off this Test, and dont gain any scores (or favors) from your Judges!

You have a hard task ahead of you, so all the best!!
Old 12-06-2008, 06:47 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post

- ChronoGrl : Several critically-acclaimed flicks have failed miserably at the BO - Night of the Living Dead, The Exorcist, Jaws etc. all have been flushed down the toilets. For some reason, the audiences arent willing to accept any of those horror flicks. You are a talented and eccentric filmmaker who is hellbent on making the audiences turn towards horror. What ideas can you use to conquer such hard-headed audiences of the world?
Couple of questions here before I dive into this...

OK. Jaws and Exorcist did not fail at the BO. This is my alternate reality. That "etc." is incredibly vague - Should I assume that all top-ranking horror films have tanked in this bizarro world? (I am Legend, The Sixth Sense) If so, what is the measure for success in horror? (Or maybe that's the nature of my challenge - Duh)

Should I assume that I'm in present day (now) when coming up with these ideas?

Also - Is the task to come up with a single treatment/pitch for the NEXT BIG THING or a series of ideas that will hopefully stimulate the movie business?

Sorry - I'm probably over-thinking this.

Last edited by ChronoGrl; 12-06-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:22 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Couple of questions here before I dive into this...

OK. Jaws and Exorcist did not fail at the BO. This is my alternate reality. That "etc." is incredibly vague - Should I assume that all top-ranking horror films have tanked in this bizarro world? (I am Legend, The Sixth Sense) If so, what is the measure for success in horror? (Or maybe that's the nature of my challenge - Duh)

Should I assume that I'm in present day (now) when coming up with these ideas?

Also - Is the task to come up with a single treatment/pitch for the NEXT BIG THING or a series of ideas that will hopefully stimulate the movie business?

Sorry - I'm probably over-thinking this.
I didnt put in any time-periods because I thought the theme and the tasks carried an ample number of hints. But to clarify it some more :-

Picture yourself as a young Kubrick or Polanski. In an alternate timeline where the big blockbusters of the 70s and 80s (the golden age of horror) have fizzed off the BO. You can put yourself in whichever shoes which make you feel the most comfortable - 70s, 80s, even today.

The idea here is to make horror flicks click with the audiences, and that is where the real challenge lies. It could be a single burst of brilliance, OR a series of bullseyes, either way.

To simplify the scenario - how do you sell shoes to people who walk around with naked feet? ;)
Old 12-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
I have one thing to ask about mine.

Do you mean no sound at all in the world, or simply no sound when it comes to films and media?

The Ferrets like it...
Old 12-06-2008, 02:54 PM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Challenge answer: World Without Sound

Here goes.

Obviously the key point of this challenge is the fact that my world is without sound. Now, other than the fact that I will have to try to get the story across to the audiences without sound, there are several other problems this poses.

The first of these problems being that I must present the possible story to the studio. This will be especially difficult considering unlike the audiences, the executives have no moving pictures to aid them in understanding the story. To get around this, I would get together a group of friends who are artistically talented and ask them to help me create storyboards. With these simple images giving a rough idea of things, and a written outline of the story, I'm confident I would be able to get across my message to them, giving them a good enough idea of what the product should be like.

As for my story, there is another problem. As all Horror fans will know, the soundtrack is equally as important as the images, providing suspense more than anything. For this reason, I feel my film would have to be a very fast moving one, full of visually surprising and shocking elements.

Yet another problem to conquer is the characters, for without speech of some sort it will be next to impossible to give them real depth, with actions doing all the talking for them. Yes, actions do show a lot about a person but to get a good understanding of them in such a short time without sound would be very difficult. Because of this, I would try to make it full of actions and physical events. My story too would have to be quite simple, almost self explanatory.

The story itself would be something like this:

A solar eclipse causes a terrible event. After it happens, strange creatures begin climbing out of the ground and attacking people. The film would be the story of one town's attempt to survive against these creatures.

I would present my story to the studio as I said. To give you an idea of how this would go, I'll give you a brief extract of what the pitch may seem like.

I show a story board. The first few images are of ordinary people walking around. Then it shows a man and his son playing catch in the back garden. A dramatic solar eclipse happens. Afterwards, the child misses a catch. He goes to get the ball and as he does, a tentacle reaches out of the ground and grab his arm, and a serrated tube like thing reaches up to his face. This image would be a large, A2 size picture. The description would say something like:

"An unprecedented solar eclipse happens above a small town. A man and his son are playing catch and witness this phenomenon. The eclipse would be a dramatic, visually stunning image with shots of space thrown in. The son drops the ball and as he goes to retrieve it, a grotesque, slimy, terrifying part of a creature appears and brutally kills him.

The film, as I said, would be full of visual effects and visually shocking images of brutal killings, blood, flashing lights, fast moving scenes of pure action. There would be very few scenes without some action. This would be to keep the audience hooked. Also, a large part would be that without sound, nobody can help you if you are attacked, for they do not know unless they see it. This would hopefully make the audience relate to it and increase the fear they feel.

To go about making the film, I would go to many different investors, getting the biggest possible sum of money. With this I would approach ILM (assuming they exist) for the effects. Actors would have to be visually recognizable so they can be remembered throughout the film, each one looking very different from others. I think I would approach Brendon Fraiser as a main character as he can handle the action stunts and portray emotion through his facial features very well, and has experience working with "nothing", when he has to pretend something is there that will only be added in post production.

For directors, I would have to go with one who I feel could take the challenge of a fast paced yet silent film. I think Clive barker would have to be my first choice, knowing how to make things grotesque and visually shocking, and I'm confident he could pull of the action scenes.

As for a setting, I think I would have to use mainly sets, but shots of a real town for some scenes. For this I would send out scouts into America to find a small, nice looking town willing to cooperate with the film.

Hopefully, with all of this my film would work well, having elements of it the viewer can relate to and enough terror and action to keep them watching the screen, with the finished product of...

THE UPRISING

In the absence of sound, this whole process would be difficult, but I feel that wouldn't hinder the audience as they would no nothing different and so it wouldn't seem to strange to them. That is all I can come up with. Hopefully it is satisfactory.

Thankyou for your time.

The Ferrets like it...