Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

the shinjuku incident
Old 03-23-2010, 01:24 AM
Scares Little Kids

3 Extremes, the Korean, Japanese and Chinese Colabo... Very intense, specially the "Dumplings" Part.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:21 AM
Bad Natured

The Uninvited (2003). Please have a little caffeine on board before taking this trip. This wonderful movie is slow slow slow. But in this case it is not a bad thing. This dark and brooding tale just takes its sweet time as it meanders through the world of the supernatural, the psyche, and the everyday world. This is more like art house horror, but there are no outright scares, just a slowly brewing story that just keeps getting darker and darker. The acting was fine. The direction and camera work were solid. The scant score was perfect. Some of the imagery was just plain chilling in the causal way that it was portrayed. Overall a perfectly convoluted piece of South Korean film. Merci beaucoup.
derek

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Cranky

Hausu (House)

I had the great fortune to see this unique movie in a fine theatre last night. Even though I've read a bit about it, the movie was quite unlike any of my expectations. As a comedy/horror hybrid the emphasis is squarely on the comedy.

The film is told in broad strokes. The characters are not characters per se, but characatures of standard Japanese movie fare. There are six young Japanese school girls who get caught up in an unexpected adventure. The smart one wears glasses and is named "Prof." The heavy one is named "Mac" and is always hungry. The one named "Fantasy" is always lost in thought. "Melody" can play the piano. "Kung Fu" - well, she knows kung fu. The pretty one is named "Gorgeous" and she always is putting on makeup.

Gorgeous is angry she can't spend Summer vacation with her dad, so she takes all of her friends to visit her Aunt in another town. Her Aunt is a bit odd, and her cat is even stranger. They both live in a decrepit old house that is said to be haunted...

There is a lot of double entendre involving sexual jokes about Japanese school girls- incest, lesbianism, pedophilia- it's all hinted at. There are a number of very strange J-Pop musical numbers, and every kind of editing and special effects tricks ala the 1970s are thrown in- several styles of animation, including what looks to be drawing directly on the film, matte shots, various kinds of wipes, jump cuts, double exposures, polarization, model work, puppetry, sped up & slowed down camera work...

Stylish & stylized this is a wild ride of a film experience, and if you can see it in a theatre DO SO.

The theatre ran previews for the 25th anniversary theatrical release of Kurosawa's RAN!

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 03-25-2010, 03:18 AM
Bad Natured

Dead or Alive 2 (2000). Apparently there were some disappointment by the lack of violence and shock in this movie, not that it is is a children's flick. Obviously these folks do not see the powerful imagery and subtle symbols that define humanity in Miike's flicks. This is a tale of childhood lost and regained, of redemption, and the tenacity of childhood friendships. The main characters are portrayed wonderfully, and we come to care for them though we know what they do as well as their fate. Miike does not lack his bizarre flair here, and he even sneaks in some rather shocking elements. But more than a shocker, this is more of an intimate tale, endearing and playful, violent and remorseful. In short, another winner from the acclaimed mind that is Miike. Ashe.
d

Old 03-28-2010, 04:20 AM
Bad Natured

Takeshi Kitano's Zatoichi (2003). When i realized that this remake of the Japanese samurai classic was to be directed by Beat Takeshi, who also stars, i was thrilled. My expectations were in fact exceeded. This enchanting flick stays true to form, with thrilling fight sequences, beautifully timed humor, and acting that was solid. The story itself was a simple one that was nonetheless infused with some apposite and intriguing side stories. Like the old days, there are copious amounts of blood in the fights scenes, and Takeshi marvelously blends technology with the old school to capture the essence of the era. Added to this was the wonderful score and the lovely dance scenes in the field and towards the end, where we are blessed with some traditional Japanese tap dancing. All in all a wonderful event. Merci beaucoup.
derek

Old 03-31-2010, 04:30 AM
Bad Natured

The Bow (2005). Threatening to be a pooper, this minimalist piece by the vanguard director Ki-duc Kim can be seen as one of two things, a minimalist study of sexual human nature, desire, and possessiveness, or a metaphor of the transition of childhood innocence into adulthood. Why not both? This rather slow-paced flick was not only saved by the arresting conclusion, but in retrospect turned out to be a powerful sleeper of a movie. The acting was great, with sparse dialogue employed as a Ki-duc trademark. The cinematography is remarkable, especially since the whole piece takes place on a boat. Of course the direction is stellar, and Ki-duc again does not disappoint. For those with patience, this brilliant flick will eventually deliver. Merci beaucoup.
d

Old 03-31-2010, 07:33 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to missmacabre
Perfect Blue. What a mindfuck. Created such a great sense of how the main character must be feeling. About two thirds into the film I was even having a hard time figuring out what was or was not happening, what was dreaming, what was awake. Plus I'm a sucker for animation, so this ranks high on my list of recently seen movies. If you like anime, you should definatly check this one out.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Evil Dead

Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.-

This movie was really great. I love the Millennium Series of Godzilla movies. So much fun, without being too kitsch. Lots of laughs, and the fairies are back.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Evil Dead

Paprika- Cute little anime with some really fantastic animation. The plot was so surreal, and a few of the dream sequences freaked me out with their sheer japanese-ness. Derek loved it because it was so full of psychology jargon. I give it a 9/10 for being a fairly short movie. Everything else was perfect.