Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-26-2005, 11:53 PM
No charge for awesomeness

Quote:
Originally posted by g star
supposedly the franchise had intended to release a new "halloween" film every year at halloween. the idea was that each film would be an original idea, having nothing to do with the prequels. however, fan reaction to the lack of myers in III was so overwhelmingly negative that the studio ditched the idea and went back to MM. or so i've heard.
Yep, that's exactly what happened.

Personally I liked H3 as a seperate movie from the rest of them, but with the lack of Michael Myers, it just seems out of place in the Halloween franchise. I think if it had been released under it's own name altogether, it'd have been a bit better received.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:13 AM
Banned

DEFENDING TIME!

Yes it was a grerat idea to have a lot of different tales set around Halloween. But it wasd a bad move on a practical level because Myers was so recognised as being the main opart of "Halloween"

BUT COME ON!!! It's been years now! You know Myers is not in it! GET OVER IT!
It's no longer the possibly valid arguement it was when the film was released.

As for the film...it's does not deserve the almost religious (SPIT) hate directed towards it by Myers groupies.

Plot wise it's got holes I agree...

But, the rest is so good these annoyances are pushed away and leave us with a very entertaining an satisfying movie.

A great opening sequence..with the superb Carpenter/Howarth score pounding away nicely.
A REALLY NASTY death via eye poking and skull snapping (the sight of the inner bone pushing up againat the nose is wonderfully icky.

Some great Halloween atmosphere as well..especially with the excellent montage of the kid going home to watch the 'give away'.
The Los Angeles (against the City lights) and the Phoenix (a line of kids against the red light of the setting sun) segments are highly effective.
And the ad's (another love or loathe feature) are wonderfully annoying!!

The gore is also expertly done.
Burman does a great job with the blood spraying, very painful looking head pulling and the ever so gruesome aftermath of the lasered mouth..all rictus teeth and blood soaked eyes.
the drill death is also very nasty without actually showing anything.

Performances are ok..I always like Atkin and he deserved a bigger career. His acting while he tries to persuade his Wife (Nancy Loomis from "Halloween") to get rid of the masks is excellent..as is his deflated shock after ripping the robots wire innards out.
Top bit of mad screaming at the end as well...An ending that is delightfully evil.

O'Herlihy is a bit hammy (he was in "Twin Peaks" as well) but he's a good villian and his speech about the real meaning of Halloween is nicely dark and creepy.

The nods to Carpenter are fun to.....
It's a cheekily wicked idea to have "Halloween" itself as the film that will lead into the 'killer ad's'....

The classical music that is playing when the lady gets lasered is the same music that Adrienne Barbeau pays as she drive to the lighthouse in "The Fog"....

The framing of the shots where Atkins and Nelkin are walking around while being watched are the same as "Halloween", with the half back and shoulders of the robot set up exactly like the scenes of Myers watching Jamie Lee Curtis.

The film also has ideas that now seem very insightful........

The mass coverage of your every move by CCTV is now a welcome and not so welcome reality in every town and city.

And if made now the whole idea of a specific brand name being wanted over 'lesser' makes would be very topical.
The fact is "Silver Shamrock" is 'Adidas' and 'Nike'....Atkin's kids do not want his 'other brand', cheap masks..they want the "Silver Shamrock", masks that are the hip and cool make to have...Oh dear....if only they had gone for Atkin's non brand masks they wouldn't have spiders crawling out their noses!!

TOP Halloween viewing.

And seeing as entries WITH Myers (aside from #4) have been so fucking awful...perhaps they should indeed have stuck to their guns and stuck with the fact he was kileld off in #2!
Old 07-27-2005, 04:48 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to Tony Send a message via Yahoo to Tony
I honestly think that if it hadn't been given the Halloween title that a lot more people would dig the movie. As a whole it's a fun movie in my opinion. If anyone really wants to make it fit with the series all you have to do is say that The Thorn was behind the Silver Shamrock masks ;)
Old 07-27-2005, 06:09 AM
Backyard Waterfall

Great comments, 42nd. Word 'em up.

C'mon guys, Nigel Kneale? Quatermass? It kicks ass.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by filmmaker2
C'mon guys, Nigel Kneale? Quatermass? It kicks ass.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:55 AM
Backyard Waterfall

i'm not wortheeeeeeeeeee
Old 07-29-2005, 05:54 PM
Evil Dead

I liked the movie

Yes far from perfect, but where it lacked MM it had imagination

When I watched recently I found it better than when I first watched it, also noticing that the bloke at the beginning had his nose bone ripped from his skull
Old 07-29-2005, 06:19 PM
Pepper's Ghost

Send a message via AIM to knife_fight
Quote:
Originally posted by 42ndStreetFreak
DEFENDING TIME!

Yes it was a grerat idea to have a lot of different tales set around Halloween. But it wasd a bad move on a practical level because Myers was so recognised as being the main opart of "Halloween"

BUT COME ON!!! It's been years now! You know Myers is not in it! GET OVER IT!
It's no longer the possibly valid arguement it was when the film was released.

As for the film...it's does not deserve the almost religious (SPIT) hate directed towards it by Myers groupies.

Plot wise it's got holes I agree...

But, the rest is so good these annoyances are pushed away and leave us with a very entertaining an satisfying movie.

A great opening sequence..with the superb Carpenter/Howarth score pounding away nicely.
A REALLY NASTY death via eye poking and skull snapping (the sight of the inner bone pushing up againat the nose is wonderfully icky.

Some great Halloween atmosphere as well..especially with the excellent montage of the kid going home to watch the 'give away'.
The Los Angeles (against the City lights) and the Phoenix (a line of kids against the red light of the setting sun) segments are highly effective.
And the ad's (another love or loathe feature) are wonderfully annoying!!

The gore is also expertly done.
Burman does a great job with the blood spraying, very painful looking head pulling and the ever so gruesome aftermath of the lasered mouth..all rictus teeth and blood soaked eyes.
the drill death is also very nasty without actually showing anything.

Performances are ok..I always like Atkin and he deserved a bigger career. His acting while he tries to persuade his Wife (Nancy Loomis from "Halloween") to get rid of the masks is excellent..as is his deflated shock after ripping the robots wire innards out.
Top bit of mad screaming at the end as well...An ending that is delightfully evil.

O'Herlihy is a bit hammy (he was in "Twin Peaks" as well) but he's a good villian and his speech about the real meaning of Halloween is nicely dark and creepy.

The nods to Carpenter are fun to.....
It's a cheekily wicked idea to have "Halloween" itself as the film that will lead into the 'killer ad's'....

The classical music that is playing when the lady gets lasered is the same music that Adrienne Barbeau pays as she drive to the lighthouse in "The Fog"....

The framing of the shots where Atkins and Nelkin are walking around while being watched are the same as "Halloween", with the half back and shoulders of the robot set up exactly like the scenes of Myers watching Jamie Lee Curtis.

The film also has ideas that now seem very insightful........

The mass coverage of your every move by CCTV is now a welcome and not so welcome reality in every town and city.

And if made now the whole idea of a specific brand name being wanted over 'lesser' makes would be very topical.
The fact is "Silver Shamrock" is 'Adidas' and 'Nike'....Atkin's kids do not want his 'other brand', cheap masks..they want the "Silver Shamrock", masks that are the hip and cool make to have...Oh dear....if only they had gone for Atkin's non brand masks they wouldn't have spiders crawling out their noses!!

TOP Halloween viewing.

And seeing as entries WITH Myers (aside from #4) have been so fucking awful...perhaps they should indeed have stuck to their guns and stuck with the fact he was kileld off in #2!
RIGHT ON!!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2005, 06:46 PM
Backyard Waterfall

Yeah, you see, that scene near the beginning with the nose bone and the "CRACK POP" sound effect, that is some SICK MOTHERFUCKING SHIT. Not outrageously gory, but graphic enough, and effective. That urethane fake head that the Burmans built did the job very nicely for a couple of shots there. That's what I'm talkin' about, yo

(takes a swig a beer)
Old 07-29-2005, 07:30 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
I do believe people are way too hard on this movie. It definitely has its moments and it is a fun film, if not a great film. I keep meaning to rewatch it because I have only seen it the one time. But it is not nearly as bad as I had heard it was in the years before I watched it. Better than a lot of the shit they are releasing these days, that's for sure.