Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Horror Filmmakers
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-16-2007, 05:17 PM
GraveReality

Just finished my first real screenplay. I jumped around a lot. I had ideas for certain scenes and wrote them down. I built on them and then weaved everything together. When I was done I had a new idea that completely changed the story just with a few more lines added. Point is, it is never really done.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Zydrate Anatomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Usher View Post
Here's another question - how long does it take to finish a first draft? I've written over 20 feature-lentgh scripts (the first 5 were terrible) most on spec, some for hire. My partner and I usually take 1 month to finish a first draft, but the film we have going into production this month wes written in 10 days...
I think a month is about right for a first draft with a final draft being finished within three months. Though, I can see that having a writing can speed things up with the old "two heads are better than one" thing.

I did write 60pgs in four days once because I was on a deadline. The last fifteen pages or so turned out a little campy because my brain had gone to mush by then.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:13 AM
Warrior Angel

I would advise writing it however it feels best to you, and don't listen to what anyone else says.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:51 AM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior Angel View Post
I would advise writing it however it feels best to you, and don't listen to what anyone else says.
Agreed, but it is always a good idea to try new methods and remove yourself from your comfort zone. I find input about others' processes refreshing and, on certain occasions, enlightening.

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 03-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Zydrate Anatomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior Angel View Post
One thing that was completely ingrained in me in my Screenwriting class in college is to write in the proper format, everything else is secondary. Then if you want to write scenes out of order or whatever, it's easy to move them around like Scrabble tiles later.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:55 AM
Evil Dead

I just started writing and I think I'm pretty good at it. I've written a couple of horror scripts. All my friends have read them and gave me really positive feedback, but they're friends and family.

How do you know if your stuff is good enough to show to people in showbiz?

Last edited by Mictlantechutli; 03-21-2007 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:16 AM
fubar-entertainment

Scripts

I would recommend doing some additional research into script writing. A very good source of knowledge would be Robert McKee's 'Story'.

There is where it all starts - writing a great script.:D

Woz
FUBAR Entertainment
Old 04-16-2007, 09:32 PM
No charge for awesomeness

Here's another question for all the writers here...

Do you work on 1 script at a time & finish it before starting a new one or do you have multiple projects all going at once?