Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Evil Dead

While I appreciated the colorful violence, satirical humour and sandbox gameplay of the GTA series I wouldn't say I was a fan until GTA 4. I have sledom played such a thought provoking and emotionally challenging game. Niko Bellic rocked meh proverbial socks. It takes a pretty significant departure for the series, entertainment in GTA 3 often involved how many police offices you could kill with a single kamikaze helicopter crash, but in GTA 4 you don't do that, oh you CAN but you'd feel silly.

You actually avoid pedestrians, instead of splatting them across the pavement, you try to avoid killing police if you can and it still retains it's extremely clever and satirical social commentary.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to Leprucky Cougar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azazel005 View Post
While I appreciated the colorful violence, satirical humour and sandbox gameplay of the GTA series I wouldn't say I was a fan until GTA 4. I have sledom played such a thought provoking and emotionally challenging game. Niko Bellic rocked meh proverbial socks. It takes a pretty significant departure for the series, entertainment in GTA 3 often involved how many police offices you could kill with a single kamikaze helicopter crash, but in GTA 4 you don't do that, oh you CAN but you'd feel silly.

You actually avoid pedestrians, instead of splatting them across the pavement, you try to avoid killing police if you can and it still retains it's extremely clever and satirical social commentary.
Hmm..I haven't got GTA 4 yet, but plan on it eventually. I hear what you're saying but when it comes to games, I have to experience things before I place my judgment on them.

Don't run away from me;
I'm Sorry if I was a little too brash.
Now hand over me Shilling;
Or I'll kill your Ass ! :D
Old 10-13-2008, 12:21 AM
Hellraiser

The old gta games were always very enjoyable for a few hours but blowing up cars with rocket launchers as fun as it sounds did lose its spark sometimes. GTA4 hooked me in the first time I played it, and yes it is more realistic than its predecessors, but not too realistic to the point that its not enjoyable. Its still very enjoyable, and I do still like blowing up crap from time to time, but if I ever get tired the story in gta4 is remarkable, at least compared to the previous versions. I recommend any gamer to try it as it is a big improvement over the previous versions. At least I think so.;)
Old 10-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Scares Little Kids

I own GTA 1, GTA London, GTA 2, GTA 3, GTA Vice City, GTA Liberty City Stories, GTA Vice City Stories & GTA IV.

I've played nearly every game, all but GTA Advance.

I'm a huge fan.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacky Fiend View Post
I own GTA 1, GTA London, GTA 2, GTA 3, GTA Vice City, GTA Liberty City Stories, GTA Vice City Stories & GTA IV.

I've played nearly every game, all but GTA Advance.

I'm a huge fan.
I didn't see GTA SA in your post. How come?:confused:

Wow....way bigger of a fan than me...I should go get the collection

Don't run away from me;
Old 10-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Evil Dead

I've followed the series.
I think my favourite one at the time was VICE CITY - Although had a look at it again for the first time in a couple of years yesterday, and having played GTA:SA, GTA4, and the two "stories" PS2 ports, it was kind of showing its age.
I just don't know if I can get used to the old controls and visuals again...dammit, I really liked it too.

#4 personally I don't like that much, great looking game and the new combat/shooting system both on foot and in-car is brilliant - but in all honesty I think that throwing that much realism into it took a step back from the craziness and fun that was the GTA series.
I think what they need to do now is remake and/or sequel the chapters in the former titles...
Old 10-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Crave More Gore

San Andreas is my favorite.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugchord View Post
San Andreas is my favorite.

Me as well

Don't run away from me;
Old 10-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
#4 personally I don't like that much, great looking game and the new combat/shooting system both on foot and in-car is brilliant - but in all honesty I think that throwing that much realism into it took a step back from the craziness and fun that was the GTA series.
I think what they need to do now is remake and/or sequel the chapters in the former titles...
I think a lot of people feel that way, there was quite an uproar about 4 and how disappointing it was for some of the series fans. It did go a different direction, and for someone like myself that DIDN'T enjoy the crazy larger then life gameplay of the series, it was a breath of fresh air but I can understand where the disappointment of many came from. It doesn't deliver a similar palying expierence to the games preceding it.

There's always Saints Row 2, you can make yourself a posse of Ninjas or Pirates or Nijupirates.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:43 AM
Decapitate my mother!

Love GTA games and GTA 4 was amazing.