Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Upcoming Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 03:27 AM
whatever gets you through

i just really can't see 'Thor' as a movie character - if Favreau is uncomfortable with 'alien ring technology' then how is he going to work in a Norse God of Thunder? I also can't picture an on-screen Thor that wouldn't look silly - remember the Incredible Hulk TV Movie in which Thor appeared - oh my god was that goofy

and check out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWmHEF_PT8E

Last edited by Zero; 06-18-2008 at 03:31 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:10 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
i just really can't see 'Thor' as a movie character - if Favreau is uncomfortable with 'alien ring technology' then how is he going to work in a Norse God of Thunder? I also can't picture an on-screen Thor that wouldn't look silly - remember the Incredible Hulk TV Movie in which Thor appeared - oh my god was that goofy

and check out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWmHEF_PT8E
I have complete faith in Marvel at this point...they're planning a Thor movie as part of the whole Avengers franchise, and even though I fully agree that it'll be damn hard to make him semi-realistic/not cheesy, I really think that they'll be able to pull it off.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:37 AM
Cranky

I don't see why a big muscley guy with long blonde hair and a helmet would look any sillier onscreen than this:

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 06-18-2008, 09:58 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

The difference being that the Hellboy franchise never even attempted to be realistic.

Both Iron Man and (from what I can tell as I've yet to see it) The Incredible Hulk try to present these fantasy/sci-fi stories as though they could actually happen, and try to make everything look and feel as realistic as possible. Considering Thor is part of the announced Avengers franchise that Marvel is working on, it only makes sense that they'll go the realism route with him as well.

That approach really poses a problem when you take in to account that his backstory happens to be that he's the son of a Norse god...but hey, who knows. I'm sure they'll pull it off somehow.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Cranky

Well, the "Norse Gods" can just be a race of alien beings that were viewed as gods in the past.

Doesn't seem any more far fetched than gamma rays turning you into a big green super thing.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 06-18-2008, 10:37 AM
I kick ass for the lord

I think it does.

Last edited by CopperShark; 06-18-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:22 PM
whatever gets you through

i've got to stand by the notion that Thor is unfilmmable - Hellboy had a clear comic aesthetic (not quite as much as Sin City - but not really visually in our reality) Iron Man and, to a lesser extent, Hulk do. I'd say the same for the current cinematic version of The Thing - the suit is SO clearly visible you can see the seams bulge - but in the cheezy aesthetic of the 2 FF films its ok - its meant to be a bit goofy. IM and Hulk are a different atmosphere and so Hellboy or Thing or Thor would/will just look silly. Spiderman would work - but not the others IMHO
Old 06-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Return View Post
The difference being that the Hellboy franchise never even attempted to be realistic.

Both Iron Man and (from what I can tell as I've yet to see it) The Incredible Hulk try to present these fantasy/sci-fi stories as though they could actually happen, and try to make everything look and feel as realistic as possible. Considering Thor is part of the announced Avengers franchise that Marvel is working on, it only makes sense that they'll go the realism route with him as well.

That approach really poses a problem when you take in to account that his backstory happens to be that he's the son of a Norse god...but hey, who knows. I'm sure they'll pull it off somehow.
Maybe the "Norse Gods" are actually discovered to not have been Gods, they were just worshiped as them for they're group of old super beings from a tribe where they were bred in such away it meant after a few generations they had a race of super humans. Thor could be a direct descendant of the one in the tribe they called Thor. He discovers his heritage, discovers he has powers and adopts that as his name. Heck, the hammer could be technological.

The Ferrets like it...
Old 06-18-2008, 01:08 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Is there anyone here who's read The Ultimates?

I've yet to check it out myself, but supposedly it puts a semi-realistic spin on the Avengers characters - anyone know how they treated Thor?

EDIT - Looked it up on Wikipedia...heres what I came up with:

Quote:
Ultimate Thor is referred to as once being a psychiatric nurse called Thorlief Golmen, until he suffered a nervous breakdown before his 30th birthday. He spent 18 months institutionalized, during which time he claims to have realized who he is and why he has been sent to Earth. He claimed to be Thor, Norse god of thunder, on a mission to save the planet. His political and social activism, as well as his own self-help books, attracted rebellious teenagers and conspiracy theorists. He has spoken against America's military aggression against other world powers and the military-industrial complex. However, the truth behind these statements is questionable, as they came from characters aligned with or later revealed to be Loki, a reality-changing Norse god.
Well, it might work that way...kind of.

Last edited by The_Return; 06-18-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:24 AM
For Vendetta

July 15, 2008

Marvel has handed the armor over to Justin Theroux, who will pen the sequel to "Iron Man."

The comicbook giant's film division is close to a deal to bring back helmer Jon Favreau and star Robert Downey Jr. for the pic it hopes to release in April 2010.

Theroux, a thesp-scribe best known for roles in "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle" and HBO's "Six Feet Under" and miniseries "John Adams," most recently wrote the DreamWorks comedy "Tropic Thunder," which Paramount will unspool next month.

In addition to writing and appearing in "Tropic Thunder," Theroux also exec produced The Laffer, which stars Ben Stiller, Downey and Jack Black. He recently made his directing debut on "Dedication," which the Weinstein Co. distributed.

"Iron Man," released in May, has earned more than $314 million at the domestic box office and collected another $252 million overseas.

It was Marvel Studios' first self-financed pic, distributed by Par, so it's no surprise that the studio is looking to get another installment into theaters as quickly as possible.

Marvel Studios, however, isn't being quick to confirm any deals around the project, saying it doesn't comment on rumors.