Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Upcoming Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadKlown View Post
i like remakes for pretty much one reason and that is technological advancements. plus most of the time i havent seen the original....there was a lot of stuff before 1984
Try seeing the originals. Most of them cost as much to buy as you'd spend going to a movie. You can get the Wolfman and three other classic werewolf movies in the Legacy collection for about 20 bucks. Nowadays, that's your ticket, popcorn and a soda. Or get the movie by itself for about ten bucks. Or get on Netflix. Whatever. You can go to the movies and see something mediocre or you can do a little legwork and see something awesome. We have yet to invent a device that makes a shitty script awesome...unless you count weed.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Cranky

Not to sound like I'm pandering to Doc, or anything, but I think I can use him to make a point here, because I'm familiar with his work. If they took just 1 million from the upcoming remake of The Blob, somebody could make an amazing original film from his Murderland book. It's got everything young horror fans would want- violence, rock music and plenty of gore. In addition, it's a fresh vision with social commentary and satire that would appeal to more serious minded film fans. It would be a surefire hit.

There is a wealth of great fiction available that could become new horror classics just the way Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Hellraiser, The Exorcist, Night of the Living Dead and countless others have been. Give new ideas and new voices a chance. Quit retreading the past.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 02-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Mephistophiliac

Biting tongue...information I cannot relay...hope, pray, knock wood, old friend. I've said nothing.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:22 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
Biting tongue...information I cannot relay...hope, pray, knock wood, old friend. I've said nothing.
Wow. This could be great news (hopefully).
Old 02-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Mephistophiliac

It could be. If there was news. Look, a bird!
Old 02-28-2010, 03:40 PM
I Am Violence

I have no problem with remakes. While they will never compare to the original if they make money then they are going to be made.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:56 PM
For Vendetta

I ll admit, when Grindhouse tanked at the cinemas and was severely panned by the critics, I lost all hope for the genre.

But then 2007-2008 happened and look how many originals struck gold. The last few years have seen some real gems coming out in horror - some domestic, some foreign. There is a lesson to be learnt in that, but money-hungry studios wont ever learn.

I think most remakes are checked out by kids who are used to hearing how awesome the originals are, from their parents or granpas etc...The teen audience is easy to cater to, and there's always a willing producer/director with a wallet who is willing to give it a shot. As long as the remake makes some money (at the BO or through DVD sales whatever), the studios are happy.

I am sure some of those cases stated above are teens who watch an original and are actually disappointed by it. "Whatever does Dad see in this? Its a hour long borefest, with outdated fashion statements and outlandish production values."

Remakes will only go out if teens started appreciating the originals. Sadly that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon. (Maybe...one fine morning when the sun rises in the west)
Old 02-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Banned

For the most part, I see NO need for them. But every once in a while a real gem emerges from a remake.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:22 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
It could be. If there was news. Look, a bird!
Ooo! I like birds!
But not as much as the prospect of a film being made from y-
I mean...I like birds!
Old 02-28-2010, 06:52 PM
No redeeming qualities

I understand why the idea of a remake induces eye-rolling, because too many producers out there are all too eager to capitalize on the popularity of a film to generate money, and very often deliver an inferior product.

I do think it's a mistake, however, to automatically assume that because a film is a remake it is destined for suckage. Shakespeare's plays have been performed countless times over centuries, in countless formats and variations, because of the strength of the source material. But like everything else, a poor production is a poor product, and a superior production is a superior product.