Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-23-2005, 07:28 AM
Backyard Waterfall

"London After Midnight" is generally considered a "lost" film. As far as is known, no prints exist; only still photographs survive.

I'd love to see it too! If you locate this film, do me a favor and put it in my Christmas stocking.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:58 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally posted by filmmaker2
"London After Midnight" is generally considered a "lost" film. As far as is known, no prints exist; only still photographs survive.

I'd love to see it too! If you locate this film, do me a favor and put it in my Christmas stocking.

Ive read theres a somewhat coherant (sp?) version made from the still photos. Would probably be something to see.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:07 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Return
Ive read theres a somewhat coherant (sp?) version made from the still photos. Would probably be something to see.

A couple of Halloweens ago, Turner Classics aired this version of "London..." It was a series of stills and dialog cards set to music. It gave you an idea as to what the movie was, but it only really makes you want to the real film more. Hopefully someday someone will find a print of this movie so us classic horror fans can see it.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:19 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
What a shame. I'd read a couple years ago that it hadn't yet been found, but wasn't certain that it continued to be lost. There's a lot of stuff from around that time and much earlier that reading about the history of horror makes me really want to check out. It would, for example, be amazing to see a restored Melies (I know there's an accent mark I just don't know the keyboard command) picture. It's amazing what he did for film, and yet he ended up running a candy cart. Restoring and finding old films is the only thing I'll really give Ted Turner any props for. My mind was completely blown when he showed Der Golem, or some semblance of it.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:16 AM
Now she has us.

dts korean original version in limited packaging.

<CENTER>
http://www.horror.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic2020_5.gif</CENTER>

Last edited by ShankS; 10-25-2005 at 03:19 AM.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:59 AM
Waste Disposer

Quote:
Originally posted by filmmaker2
Chaney totally kicks ass in this one, to use the modern expression.

I think the young people ENJOY it when I "get down," verbally, don't you?
LMAO
Old 10-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Evil Dead

I have the Lon Chaney collection from TCM. This collection includes The Ace of Hearts, Laugh Clown Laugh, The Unknown, Lon Chaney bio (very interesting stuff), and London After Midnight. London After Midnight is just photo reconstruction but still very good.

Lon Chaney was one very talented actor. Chaney's parents and grandparents were deaf. When his mother became ill and bedridden she couldn't communicate with him with her hands anymore. The only way that they could communicate was through their eyes. This is why Chaney was an excellent silent film actor. There is an awesome scene in The Unknown where Chaney finds out he has had his arms amputed for nothing when he finds out that his love interest has gotten over her fear of hands and has fallen in love with another. The look in his eyes... You would just have to watch it to really know how great of an actor this guy was. He was amazing.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:18 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

I just watched it...amazing. Definatly my favourite silent film. The demasking actually creeped me out a bit...I was expecting him to grab her hand before she actually grabbed the mask.

Question- On anyone elses DVD, is the Masqurade scene colourized? If so, anyone know why this is? Or is it just cause my DVD cost less than a buck:p
Old 11-11-2005, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Return
Question- On anyone elses DVD, is the Masqurade scene colourized? If so, anyone know why this is? Or is it just cause my DVD cost less than a buck:p
yes

from imdb:
"Several sequences were shot in various color processes for the top general release prints. Technicolor was used for scenes from FAUST and the Bal Masque scene, Prizmacolor sequences were shot for the "Soldier's Night" introduction, and Handschiegel (a process that uses stamps to hand-color prints) for the Phantom's notes and red cape on the rooftop. Only the Technicolor Bal Masque sequence is known to survive (an IB print from the 1929 re-release)."
Old 11-12-2005, 03:18 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by zwoti
yes

from imdb:
"Several sequences were shot in various color processes for the top general release prints. Technicolor was used for scenes from FAUST and the Bal Masque scene, Prizmacolor sequences were shot for the "Soldier's Night" introduction, and Handschiegel (a process that uses stamps to hand-color prints) for the Phantom's notes and red cape on the rooftop. Only the Technicolor Bal Masque sequence is known to survive (an IB print from the 1929 re-release)."

Cool, thanks for the info.