Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: Which is the better film?
Alien (1979) directed by Ridley Scott 13 54.17%
Aliens (1986) directed by Jim Cameron 11 45.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2007, 12:21 PM
(sw) Fake Shemp (sw)

dont shoot me but i like alien resurrection

"It's a DISASTER...a DISASTER! Spelt with two 'O's... like 'DOOM'!!"
Old 03-20-2007, 12:25 PM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss tony View Post
that sounds like a fellow event horizon lover talking. i think E.H. is my all time top horror. i remember it being described as the exorcist in space but i honestly prefer it. it has bags of atmosphere, like a lot of these j-horror ghost stories
ugh - HATE Event Horizon

But LOVE Alien. Not to take anything away from Cameron's blistering sequel, but it is far more difficult to craft a truly scary horror movie that it is to make an action flick.

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 03-20-2007, 12:27 PM
(sw) Fake Shemp (sw)

they just throw money at action flicks......i dont think theres much skill in making them......with horror you got to know how to play with your audience to make a good film

"It's a DISASTER...a DISASTER! Spelt with two 'O's... like 'DOOM'!!"
Old 03-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Misfit

Send a message via AIM to Posher778 Send a message via MSN to Posher778 Send a message via Yahoo to Posher778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Usher View Post
ugh - HATE Event Horizon

But LOVE Alien. Not to take anything away from Cameron's blistering sequel, but it is far more difficult to craft a truly scary horror movie that it is to make an action flick.
I agree 100%, even though you aren't reading this... Alien is flawless! It is a truly scary film, which is hard to come by, ESPECIALLY a monster movie. Alien has atmosphere, especially near the end with the lights, hallways, and beeping sounds. Plus the shaky camera. It has a few of the most sudden jump outs of all time, and it has lots of backstory if you look into it. Get the special edition dvd to know what I mean, a lot of added stuff in there. Plus, it isn't just the alien. The facehugger is almost as scary, and totally disgusting! That first scene is so infamous for the screaming in the audience when it attacked. Aliens is a great film, but it isn't scary. Hardly at all. There are a few scenes with some scariness, like the facehugger at night in the room with sigourney, but nothing that really stands out. Although, I will always jump at the part where they barricade the door, only to look up and see the aliens rushing toward them in the ventilation! Ooohhh. Plus, aliens takes too long to get into it. It's good from start to finish, but I watch the special edition, and 2 and a half hours is a while to fill with aliens! However, it gets perfect when it gets down to the final strip of alien stuff. Alien wins by far.

The ONLY thing that I would change in Alien, is that the alien's tail needed to be more sideways to the camera (the scene where it attacks the man when it is first full grown), the tail is too in line with the camera's view, so you can't see the spiky, creepy tail as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X View Post
oh posher, I love you.

well as much as a girl can love a squirrely little girly man I suppose.

None of this is real
Old 03-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Misfit

Send a message via AIM to Posher778 Send a message via MSN to Posher778 Send a message via Yahoo to Posher778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaboner3000 View Post
Yea....the third film I thought was a fine end to the original trilogy. I think it gets alot of crap simply because is not up to par with the previous two films. But it still is a better than most horror films, and certainly better than most 3rd in a series horror films.
It actually has story and decently crafted characters, which is nice. It has a unique setting, yet still related to the first two films, only all tunnels. It is also unique because there are no weapons, which is really cool. My biggest problem with this film, other than the random bad language from.... weirdly religious people, is the Alien itself. It moves like a friggin coyote, and it looks stupid. Alien needs to stay a barely moving thing, and I think that's why Alien was so scary, is that it doesn't show it moving, (walking being my main point) it usually just turns around, or opens his hands and makes everyone faint :rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X View Post
oh posher, I love you.

well as much as a girl can love a squirrely little girly man I suppose.

None of this is real
Old 03-20-2007, 01:17 PM
Hellraiser

aliens .......
Old 03-20-2007, 02:13 PM
Evil Dead

I enjoyed all four of the movies on some level,however Alien is imho far superior to most movies of the genre let alone its sequels.Alien is a masterful lesson in tension and suspense with genuinely disturbing imagery that was far beyond its time.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP McCoy
Alien is a masterful lesson in tension and suspense with genuinely disturbing imagery that was far beyond its time.
Yea...Alien was all about atmosphere, almost a 2001 kinda feel to it. It was beautifully done.

By the way, I love both movies but voted for Aliens. Was a tough choice though.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:21 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to missmacabre
First time I saw Alien I was alone in my basement at night. The silence was so terrifying and it was probably the first movie to reaalllly freak me out. Now sure I was young(er than now) and jumpy but there's somethingn to be said about a truly scary movie.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:51 PM
She's under the stairs

Aliens, I saw that one first, I think that's why it's my faveorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx
Because you want his maggot ridden dick dontcha