Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
Ergo, a re-run of an old favorite.

I am sure most of us do that a lot, too. You are one of the most diverse movie watchers I know of, Jenna. And I know you give bad (or cheesy, as you call em) movies a chance too. Its good to appreciate all sorts of flicks but, yes, basically your mood and tone governs it all.

What about your bad mood though? Can a movie actually rectify the situation and make you feel better, if you are feeling low/angry/pissed off?
I will give just about anything a chance, most know I am not crazy about the more recent deluge of remakes, but I still give them a look and sometimes I even like them...;) I actually really enjoy low budget efforts, I see a lot of creativity there, as well as the bigger budget efforts.

If I watch the right comedy, or even yes, "feel good" movie, it really does help my bad mood. Books can as well. But usually, depending on what caused the bad mood.....;) its easy for me to get back in my bad mood after the movie is over. If it is just about being down for some reason, I know I can put Evil Dead 2 in, or Animal House in, or Young Frankenstein in and feel better. Movies and books are how I unwind, and are a pretty big part of my life. I am a total book and movie geek and I am happy with that....:)
Old 09-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

what determines my selection for an evenings viewing ?

1) mood. that decides the genre
2) am i tired ? if so - something full of action
3) is my kid still up ? that determines content
4) what can i get to easily. i have movies blocking movies.. sometimes ijust grab what i can see
5) what is in my backlog ..... i probably have 3000 movies i havent seen yet

what do i look for in a movie ?

- origionality
- solid performances
- tight editing
- a story thaty doesnt insult my intelligence
- fun
- cool effective effects

i find myself watching movies over again before i get to the ones i gavent seen yet more often than not.

it's not so bad though - introducing movies to my kid for the 1st time - and having him enjoy them is the next best thing to seeing a movie for the 1st time yourself.

Last edited by urgeok2; 09-29-2008 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Banned

Obviously mood is a major factor. Direction and acting are big as well. A well directed movie could be ruined by a bad performance and vice-a-versa...you can have great acting in badly directed or edited movie.

I tend to steer clear of tear-jerkers....I want my movie watching experience to be kind of fun. Sure I love a good drama now and then....just nothing like a
"Terms of Endearment" please......we get enough of that in real life.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:20 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok2 View Post
what determines my selection for an evenings viewing ?

1) mood. that decides the genre
2) am i tired ? if so - something full of action
3) is my kid still up ? that determines content
4) what can i get to easily. i have movies blocking movies.. sometimes i just grab what i can see
5) what is in my backlog ..... i probably have 3000 movies i havent seen yet

what do i look for in a movie ?

- origionality
- solid performances
- tight editing
- a story thaty doesnt insult my intelligence
- fun
- cool effective effects

i find myself watching movies over again before i get to the ones i havent seen yet more often than not.

it's not so bad though - introducing movies to my kid for the 1st time - and having him enjoy them is the next best thing to seeing a movie for the 1st time yourself.

Very well put, Urge.

But would you rather watch the same movie twice or grab ahold of one you havent seen yet and give it a spin?

What about re-runs? Which movie have you watched the maximum number of times, and why? Does a movie grab the same attention from you in the 3rd viewing, as it did the 2nd time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
Obviously mood is a major factor. Direction and acting are big as well. A well directed movie could be ruined by a bad performance and vice-a-versa...you can have great acting in badly directed or edited movie.

I tend to steer clear of tear-jerkers....I want my movie watching experience to be kind of fun. Sure I love a good drama now and then....just nothing like a
"Terms of Endearment" please......we get enough of that in real life.

Very true. Obviously the bright spots in a movie are usually dulled out by either damp performances, or a poor script, or unresponsive direction. Very rarely do all facets of a movie come together and create a brilliant experience, IMO.

And no mushy-wushy stuff? What if you had a sudden urge to watch something touching? Like say, Forrest Gump, or maybe The Green Mile? I bet you do have those occasional fits of warm-hearted goosepimples, which make your hairs stand. :p
Old 09-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:

And no mushy-wushy stuff? What if you had a sudden urge to watch something touching? Like say, Forrest Gump, or maybe The Green Mile? I bet you do have those occasional fits of warm-hearted goosepimples, which make your hairs stand. :p
Then I'll throw on The Goonies

that damn Sloth gets me every time......the big lug:(
Old 09-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Fear scented candle

Quote:
Then I'll throw on The Goonies

that damn Sloth gets me every time......the big lug:(
Poor newb... Its that you identify with him, don't you?

NEWB, LOVE, BEER!

Buweiser! millLER LIGHT!
Old 09-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodstok View Post
Poor newb... Its that you identify with him, don't you?

NEWB, LOVE, BEER!

Buweiser! millLER LIGHT!
Miller Light is NOT beer.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Fear scented candle

Quote:
Well, yeah, Light beer isnt beer.

Except Sam Adams Light.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:

But would you rather watch the same movie twice or grab ahold of one you havent seen yet and give it a spin?

What about re-runs? Which movie have you watched the maximum number of times, and why? Does a movie grab the same attention from you in the 3rd viewing, as it did the 2nd time?

well, like i said - most of the time i'm watching with my family so i see a lot of films i've already seen to show my son.

most times that would be my choice rather than take a chance of something new - i dont know if it's appropriate yet - or if it's crap (we see almost every movie that comes out - and is family friendly)

for re-runs ... some movies get better with each viewing ... some wear thin.

I can watch The Holy Grail over and over, Napoleon dynamite, jay and silent bob strike back - and still laugh at the same parts each time .. but thats kind of rare.

i think this is something you can only do with a comedy ... where shock and suprise isnt part of the desired effect.

all this being said - sometimes technology changes the rules as well....

i've been experiencing movies in HD DVD recently - and they're mostly movies i've seen before - but with the benefit of superb sound and picture quality.

sometimes it's like seeing a brand new movie - sometimes no big difference.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
no big brewery beer is real beer ... it's shitty tasting pop.