Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Horror Filmmakers
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-02-2003, 02:07 PM
Cryptkeeper

Send a message via AIM to avenger00soul Send a message via Yahoo to avenger00soul
Quote:
Originally posted by mictlan
I don't like Argento's giallo stuff too much; just not my cup of tea.

Suspiria was great, a little weak at times, but the visuals and music pay off. Style over substance, that's me...

I wanted to like Inferno better but it just felt a little more rushed and crude than Suspiria. Inferno did flesh out the 'three mothers' story more... there was supposed to be a third one! but Argento and Claudia Niccola had a falling out.

Two Evil Eyes was cool, though Harvey Keitel seemed pretty surprised to find himself in a horror film.

Did you know that Argento co-wrote Sergio Leone's Once upon a time in the west?
I loved Keitel in Two Evil Eyes and I had no idea Argento co-wrote Once Upon a Time in the West.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:55 AM
Cryptkeeper

Send a message via AIM to avenger00soul Send a message via Yahoo to avenger00soul
Tenebre came on IFC late last night. It was still boring, but I think it's the best Argento movie I've seen so far just because of the ending. Tons of blood on a white wall is a fantastic visual.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:09 PM
Jupiter

Argento is definitely a case of style over substance but in times when the horror movies are being remade constantly i find this refreshing.
Thought Demons was pretty bad personally, but Suspiria and Opera are masterworks. (Opera's ending aside)
Old 11-04-2003, 06:13 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by abbycomix
I definitely loved Suspiria because of the art direction, sets, and the music. Goblins rock! Very spooky. The story was a bit weak though. I did like Jessica Harper and enjoyed her in Phantom of the Paradise too. I have yet to see any others by him though.
goblins are fucking great. this is why I love to watch italian horror. well besides the gore goblins is another reason.. :)

Fulci Lives!!!!
Old 01-15-2005, 08:09 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return

Suspiria, btw:p
Old 01-15-2005, 12:38 PM
Banned

My Argento ratings (of the one's I have seen) are, in order:

"Tenebre"
"Inferno"
"Deep Red"
"Suspiria"
"Opera"
"Phenomena"
"Bird"
"Cat"
"Sleepless"
"Stendhal"
"Trauma"
"2 Evl eyes"
"4 flies"

"Tenebre" is perhaps his best film for me...Wonderful film making and a great plot to wrap the glorious and gloriously violent and bloody set-pieces around. The famous 'roof/wall crawl' sequence is something that should not work, but does. Marvellous work.
Excellent score as well....Just wonderful stuff. Great twists and a truly deranged finale.

"Bird" is a tamer film than most Argento, though the uncut print does have a sort of bloody throat slitting and also contains a pretty infamous scene of sexual violence where a razor is used to cut off a victims panties before slashing her.
But it plays like a more explicit Hitchcock styled Giallo than the blood and thunder Giallo style of "Tenebre".

Best part about the film is the support characters, who are given some great dub jobs. Especially the stuttering Pimp and the craaaaaaazy artist.
A nice line in humour and suspense and some well crafted set-pieces round it off.

"Deep Red" is great, with some classic set-pieces...but suffers from (even in it's welcome edited English language version) some overlong scenes. The worst of which is Hemming's search around the deserted house, which really outstays it's welcome (not helped by an equally repetitive bit of the otherwise excellent 'Goblin' score)

Still a wonderful film though, with some great gore, nasty as hell violence, a generally excellent score, Argento in top Directorial flair,and a nice turn by Hemmings (who has a very enjoyable relationship with Daria's likeable character).

"Phenomena" has some stunning set pieces and some great music (and use of music, esp during the sequence when she follows the fly to the house), but the overall idea seems just too fantastical for a film that is not a supernatural story.
The aforementioned 'following' of the fly is in itself rather silly as is her telepathic communication. It all comes across as just too damn whimsical. And although the vengeful Chimp was fun, again the idea of this Chimp (no matter how well trained) tracking down and then following the killer to leap at just the right time was again an act coated with too much fantastical whimsy.
Connelly's character was also rather unpleasent at times, coming across like a rather spoilt brat at times.

Still a very good Argento though.

"Trauma" is not as bad as rumour has it. But it does play far too much like a straight to video American flick and the editing on the murders is pretty messy. The murder weapon is delightfully nasty and cruel though and adds some much needed old school Argento sadism to the proceedings.

"Stendhal Syndrome" is certainly far from prime Argento and the fact that it's his daughter in the sex/rape scenemakes it rather creepy! But it was okay...and had some nasty moments to keep you interested when the film threatened to bog down with Asia's unlikeable and rather dull character.

"Cat" is a good little film, but it does have the TV movie pacing of a lot of Gialli.
It has a couple of brutal moments (and one great death set piece) plus a smattering of welcome nudity.
Best part of the film is the nice chemistry between the leads.
The cute girl who plays Malden's neice went on to have her crotch nibbled by John Saxon in "Cannibal Apocalypse"!

"Inferno" is great on a big screen, and has easily one of his best set-pieces ever in the opera music/power cut double murder.
A perfect combination of violence, gore, suspense, editing, cinematgraphy, direction and music.
Sure it's kind of weird, and the Halloween part 'Death' get up is rather lame...but otherwise this is a delightfully off the wall, surrealist nightmare...Again a very good score as well.

"4 flies" had some good moments, but overall this was a plodding, badly acted film that almost always failed to deliver.
Certainly not as good as "Cat O Nine tails" and most definately not fit to wipe the arse of the excellent "The Bird with the Crystal Plumage".
"flies" is one for Argento completists only imho... http://www.beardyfreak.com/rvfourflies.htm

"Suspiria" for me seems too slow in the middle more to the fact that the start, when viewed in a cinema or on DVD with a sound system especially, is such a full on bombastic assualt on your senses that anything that happens next (let alone dialogue scenes) will feel very static.
But that start is still perhaps the best and most unique start to any horror film, ever. And seen as it should be (cinema aside) on DVD in widescreen with a sound system then it takes on even more of an aggressive majesty.

The rest of the film has some great moments of course and the excellent 'wire room' shock is wickdly effective and the lead up to the dog attack is also great (muzzle's a bit fake looking but the uncut view of the tearing aftermath with the real dog help matters).
Overall it's still a unique film (a few other Argento films aside like the really surreal and vastly underrated "Inferno") that is really a victim of it's own jaw dropping opening.

"2 Evil Eyes". Argento's is the best of the two stories, but it's still very average and unmemorable. And Romero's is just plain dull and looks and plays like an episode of a TV show.

"Sleepless" is hurt by BAD dubbing, obscure plotting and a confused revelation finale, plus silly 'Killer Dwarf' idea complete with a dire 'comedy round up the Dwarf suspects' sequence with dreadful comic musical scoring.

But it has Argento's first full frontal shot, a new and pretty good 'Goblin' score, some very violent and nasty deaths (this ranks up there with "Deep Red" in the sadistic murder stakes..it even steals the teeth bashing scene) and a nice turn by Max Von Sydow.

Far from classic Argento though due to the plodding pacing, out of place non-humour, truly bad Englisg dub (Von Sydow and his voice aside) and confused and messy final revelation.

"Opera" is defintely a flawed film...but still damn good stuff with some superb set-pieces, wonderful cinematography and some great music.
The Metal tunes are rather cheesy...but i think they work well here.

The 'AB' DVD was a revelation as well... totally complete print, with roughly 5 extra scenes NOT seen in the "Terror At The Opera" version. And the soundtrack (although not featuing much rear speaker activity) is nice and crisp and superbly bombastic. And a truly eye catching picture, The Opera House looks beautiful.

The ending is also the rare, longer, 'back to nature' version.

**SPOILERS**

The whole 'dummy' trick is outstandingly stupid though...and no death for the psycho seems an anti-climax.

Last edited by 42ndStreetFreak; 01-16-2005 at 01:39 AM.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:54 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
You may be inheriting Stingy's long post title, lol
Old 01-30-2005, 12:59 AM
Hellraiser

I really enjoyed Suspiria and Infernon wasn't bad either. I'd definitely like to see the third in the trilogy whenever it's made/released.

BiFF JUGGERNAUT Productions
www.biffjuggernaut.com

Independent Cinema Lives! It Lives!!!
Old 02-12-2005, 10:09 AM
I Killed Paul Allen

im a big Argento fan but if i had to pick which i dont but i will id pick opera just because its so fucking twisted....it would probably be my favorite movie ever if it ended in the fire. btw how messed up is it that in the peephole bullet scene to make his ex-wife's hair bounce up he used dynomite putty put directly on her skull......i dont think i'd let an ex put dynomite on me.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:28 AM
The Dork Knight

Re: Dario Argento

Quote:
Originally posted by horror
I wanted to make the first post in the new forum. :D

What is your favorite Argento movie?

I'm not sure what my very favorite movie of his is, but "Terror at the Opera" has some of the coolest imagery I've seen in a horror movie.
I never realized that I joined the first day the forum opened.