Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-08-2009, 06:11 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to milktoaste
I worked with a guy once who had taken classes to learn how to better succeed in the work place. He told me the class was very specific in the fact that you should never admit a mistake-no matter how guilty you look/are. Shifting blame can keep your boss's boss happy with your performance. Thus making you a more valuable employee through the eyes of the 'higher ups'.

If looking like a liar in front of the people I work with gets me a raise then ok, looking liar in front of peers can also help you to achieve gains socially in much the same way. People place a value to belonging to a certain social group, and beleive in thier own value as a member of that group. So in passing the blame, you maintain your worthe to your peers. (Real friends do not view each other this way)

Admittedly, I never admit my mistakes at work. Outside of financial gain however, I am very aware of my own clumsinesses and shortcomings. To tell lies among peers to cover up some sort of social no-no or moral slip up just makes you look like a fool in the long run.
"The physical body is acknowledged as dust, the personal drama as delusion. It is as if the world we perceive through our senses, that whole gorgeous and terrible pageant, were the breath-thin surface of a bubble, and everything else, inside and outside, is pure radiance. Both suffering and joy come then like a brief reflection, and death like a pin" Stephen Mitchell
Old 04-08-2009, 06:54 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Yes, but I refuse to admit to anyone else's, which sometimes causes me to have a big target on my back.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:33 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milktoaste View Post
I worked with a guy once who had taken classes to learn how to better succeed in the work place. He told me the class was very specific in the fact that you should never admit a mistake-no matter how guilty you look/are. Shifting blame can keep your boss's boss happy with your performance. Thus making you a more valuable employee through the eyes of the 'higher ups'.

i prefer integrety to a couple of bucks
Old 04-08-2009, 08:10 AM
That fucking Guy...

I try to, but can't say I always do...

I guess it depends what's at stake - Obviously if it's work related and I fucked up, if someone else isn't going to get blamed for it I'd just as soon not admit it if it meant my job...that said I'd sure try not to do it again.
I'm not going to lie - of course if it meant my job, I'd keep it quiet if nobody else, or general safety wasn't at risk...if you've just pissed off a narky manager who's trigger happy, of course that's where I'd dodge out.

If it meant a promotion to keep my mouth shut every time I fucked up, something inside would tell me I wasn't exactly the guy for the job.

If someone elses job/livelihood were hanging on the line, I'd admit responsibility without question even if it were someone I personally disliked...I'd never let my mistake fuck someone else over...just can't do that.

If it's a trivial matter, I'll generally throw out a "my bad", explain the situation if it needs explaining and see what I can do to fix it.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Wanna Join?

Depends on how many mistakes I make in a row. I start off okay but if too many follow I morph into a post war nihilst and shut up.:o

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 04-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to missmacabre
I try to admit when I'm wrong, but sometimes my pride gets the best of me. there are certain people who are know it alls and even if I'm wrong and know it, I will do anything to convince them that I am right.

I am more than willing to admit I am wrong when I get into a fight with Derek or something though. It's important for couples to settle things and admit when you are at fault otherwise there are grudges and you go to bed angry all the time.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:32 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
I was having coffee awhile back with another local actor...one of the most fascinating people I've ever had the opportunity to meet. He said something that has always kind of been my outlook, and I've now made into a credo for myself:

"Honesty - like anything else - is only good in moderation"
Old 04-08-2009, 04:03 PM
whatever gets you through

not very often - i tend to get very defensive when people accuse me of being wrong (even more so when i am actually wrong)

my new job puts me in charge of people - so now i get really jumped on for 'being wrong' - my new 'boss' apology is:
"i'm sorry you felt this was wrong, but now its done and we just need to move on" people think you've apologized when you've really not
Old 04-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
Ever admitted "Yes, I was wrong there...That was my mistake...Sorry, I should not have said/done that...?"

Be honest here.

I have rarely seen someone confess up to their own mistakes.

Most of the people in my life are ones who are quick to throw the blame on others, and steer clear of any sort of shit - either feigning innocence, or no knowledge about the incident/happening.

Except 1 or 2, who stand up for their own mistakes, admit them, and get whatever's coming with it afterwards. But like I said, thats a very, very minor rarity in the societal circle I live in.

Yep, if it's a mistake that I can't fix (and it's my fault... I rarely make a REAL mistake ;) ), I generally try to fix something before admitting it's screwed up.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

I do often, though the good majority of the time the fault is not solely mine. Especially at work. For instance, the situation usually goes like this:

"So and so should have known better, but as their supervisor I admit that I should have been monitoring the situation more closely."

I always try to take my share of the blame, but I do get very defensive about taking more than my share.

I start going into human torch mode when people start trying to belittle me or put the guilt trip on after I've admitted my mistake and owned up to it. That usually goes like this:

"You know what? I admitted I was wrong, stated it won't happen again (which I'm EXTREMELY GOOD at making sure it doesn't) and apologized. If that's not good enough for you, go fuck yourself."