Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Horror Fiction Posts
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to missmacabre
Quote:
Miss Macabre : You are Jamie Lee Curtis. You have become pretty fed up of movies and want to start your own horror show on TV. You watch several Masters of Horror episodes and have a brainstorm of adapting short stories/works into a TV series, which would have episodes of 1 hour each. Which short stories/literary works would you choose, and why?
Seeing as I am fed up with the current movies coming out, I would choose to have the episodes of my TV series use very little on screen gore. Doing away with theatrics, I would let the stories take precedence and present them in such a way that the majority of blood, gore and violence will be done off screen. I find this can have a much better effect than making a blood bath anyway.

Having starred in movies like Freaky Friday and Christmas with the Kranks; and given my choice of favourite movies (Spaceballs, This is Spinal Tap) and TV shows (Fawlty Towers, The Office and Extras)I clearly have quite a sense of humour and would like that to carry over to my television show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SNBO84YFWg

My pilot episode would be as follows:
Edgar Allen Poe’s The Black Cat: http://www.1fiction.com/texts/poe_blackcat.txt A haunting story about a mysterious black cat. The story can be filmed as the confession tape of a young veterinarian, who is laid off during the current economic crisis. This can be intertwined with flash blacks from the goings on. Any violence (especially cruelty to animals) would be done off screen or through confession scenes to survive censors and let the story take the lead; with only a small amount of gore during the final reveal. I chose The Black Cat because the story can hold an audience’s attention and it is an eerie tale with a great ending that I feel will make the audience feel satisfied when the credits roll. The ending is also ironic and Jamie Lee Curtis has an excellent sense of humour and would understand that. It can also be easily modernized for a TV audience and it is short enough to fit the time constraints.

If this pilot episode went well I would choose to adapt stories like Murders in the Rue Morgue because a murderous Orang-utan is hilarious but wouldn't just be adapting Poe of course.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:32 AM
Evil Dead

Haha I totally cited my works....
Old 12-13-2008, 07:39 PM
For Vendetta

THE THIRD TEST OF HDC IDOL 2008-09

- Dante's Inferno : You are Stephen King. Your recent novels and story ideas have met with a lot of critical and harsh reviews. You fear a bout of writer's block impending ahead, but dont want to disappoint your millions of fans. What would your next story idea be, which would prove to be a bestseller worldwide?

- Disease : You are dutch producer John De Mol. You have purchased Hammer House of Horror in 2007 under your firm, Cyrte Investments, and now plan to revive the studio which revolutionised horror through the 50s, 60s and 70s. An online serial was your first step to show today's world that Hammer Horror was back. Now you plan to make movies. Which flick would be your first, under the revived Hammer Horror banner today?

- Miss Macabre : You are Jamie Lee Curtis. You have become pretty fed up of movies and want to start your own horror show on TV. You watch several Masters of Horror episodes and have a brainstorm of adapting short stories/works into a TV series, which would have episodes of 1 hour each. Which short stories/literary works would you choose, and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmacabre View Post
Seeing as I am fed up with the current movies coming out, I would choose to have the episodes of my TV series use very little on screen gore. Doing away with theatrics, I would let the stories take precedence and present them in such a way that the majority of blood, gore and violence will be done off screen. I find this can have a much better effect than making a blood bath anyway.

Having starred in movies like Freaky Friday and Christmas with the Kranks; and given my choice of favourite movies (Spaceballs, This is Spinal Tap) and TV shows (Fawlty Towers, The Office and Extras)I clearly have quite a sense of humour and would like that to carry over to my television show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SNBO84YFWg

Edgar Allen Poe’s The Black Cat: http://www.1fiction.com/texts/poe_blackcat.txt A haunting story about a mysterious black cat. The story can be filmed as the confession tape of a young veterinarian, who is laid off during the current economic crisis. This can be intertwined with flash blacks from the goings on. Any violence (especially cruelty to animals) would be done off screen or through confession scenes to survive censors and let the story take the lead; with only a small amount of gore during the final reveal. I chose The Black Cat because the story can hold an audience’s attention and it is an eerie tale with a great ending that I feel will make the audience feel satisfied when the credits roll. The ending is also ironic and Jamie Lee Curtis has an excellent sense of humour and would understand that. It can also be easily modernized for a TV audience and it is short enough to fit the time constraints.

If this pilot episode went well I would choose to adapt stories like Murders in the Rue Morgue because a murderous Orang-utan is hilarious but wouldn't just be adapting Poe of course.

- Novakru : You are Sigourney Weaver. You have noticed older stars return with a bang to the silver screen, and are desperate to give your alter-ego another go. Two problems - your age, and the two AvP flicks which have sucked the life out of the franchise you pretty much ruled. James Cameron and Ridley Scott promise to return with full funding and backup if you have a novel idea painted for the franchise. Are you game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakru View Post
I would kick my old ass in shape with the Navy Seals for 3 months prior to pitch day.. AND throw out the idea that fans have been wanting for years.
Make #3 a dream and the 4th will be completely ignored.
Go back to the original theme.

Burke succeeded getting a pod to Earth because he had planted a third pod inside one of the dead soldiers that had been bagged up to take home for burial.
The opening credits would show these scenes with the original score in the background...

HANG ON

I have housework to do and kids to pick up, will finish this LATER....

(Contd.)
Old 12-13-2008, 07:39 PM
For Vendetta

- Papillon Noir : You are Anne Rice. After enjoying tremendous success through the late 70s and 80s through your vampire and romance-themed novels, you have been dabbling in religious works in the past 5 years. But the inner writer in you desperately wants to churn out yet another typical Anne Rice work which would become an overnight sensation with teenagers the world over. Do you have such an idea brewing inside you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillon Noir View Post
Early Anne Rice works had adult themes of vampires and sexuality (often bi-sexuality). The timelines are set in a combination of Ancient Egypt, Colonial America and Europe and modern-day America, with the central setting in New Orleans. Her later works deal mainly in a religious subject matter. If Anne Rice was to write another novel today, and gear it towards teenagers (no doubt from the recent Twilight craze), I think she would combine her past themes, but tone down her erotic scenes for the young adult group.

One of the easiest ways to appeal to the teenage audience is to have the story set in high school. Unfortunately, high school typically operates during the day, so the setting would have to be more the theatrical type as teenagers who perform musically or theatrically would typically have tutors. In Anne Rice’s previous works she had a rock star vampire and a theatre of vampires, performing as vampires. In this vein, a carnival side show of the 1930’s would allow of group of teenage vampires to blend in with society and also to move around (lest their feeding become suspicious). Also, the different side show acts would allude to the typical high school cliques and social standing within the group.

So begins our story: Le Carnivale Noir (The Black Carnival)

Le Carnivale Noir is a side show carnival operating in Louisiana in 1931. They are a rather unique carnival as they consist entirely of vampires masquerading as humans masquerading as vampires and other creatures of the night. Most of the vampires appear to be teenagers though many of them have been alive much longer. They have just arrived in New Orleans where they will be joined by a new and mysterious act.

Cecilia is a contortionist working for the Le Carnivale Noir and is romantically involved with Nathaniel, the strong-man. Cecilia’s on again/off again friend, Meredith is a stripper in the burlesque act.

The story flashbacks to when Cecilia and Meredith first met in then end of the 19th century. They became vampires together and have had a tumultuous relationship since as occasional lovers until they joined the carnival in the late 1920’s. Because of Cecilia’s unique flexibility, she was given a higher status and pay as a contortionist, while Meredith has resentfully worked as a stripper.

Soon after, Nathaniel joins the carnival and quickly associates himself with the trampy Meredith. Cecilia is more demure, but wins Nathaniel’s heart and the two begin seeing each other behind Meredith’s back. Meredith has fallen hard for Nathaniel and is crushed to find him in love with Cecilia.

The story flashes forward where this new carnival act is introduced. It is an Egyptian Mummy act. The headliner is Ptolemy, a mysterious brooding figure that takes an immediate interest in Cecilia, in which Nathaniel responds by attacking him.

It becomes apparent that Ptolemy and Nathaniel know each other and the story flashbacks to the 1770’s. Ptolemy (who was called Thomas then), was actually Nathaniel’s sire and occasional lover. The two had a falling out and vowed to kill each other if they ever saw each other again.

Ptolemy begins seducing Cecilia in secret, of which Meredith finds out about and encourages, hoping to win Nathaniel back for herself. Meredith plans to expose Ptolemy and Cecilia, but it backfires and Nathaniel rejects Meredith believing that Cecilia is still faithful to him.

Meredith, in a crazed rage attempts to burn the Ptolemy’s trailer with Ptolemy and Cecilia in it. Meredith ultimately exposes them and Cecilia gets trapped in the fire. Nathaniel, realizing that he’s been betrayed, still rushes in to save Cecilia, but becomes trapped himself. Both Nathaniel and Cecilia appear to perish in the blaze. The carnival quickly leaves town. The next night a hand comes out of the ground where the trailer burned, it is unclear whether it is Cecilia’s or Nathaniel’s.

- Posher778 : You are John Carpenter. After finishing L.A. Gothic with Sean Keller (aka our own Roderick Usher), you are raring to do another flick, which would be based on a script of your own idea. Given the recent trend of horror at the BO, what would your script be like?

3 entries by the Elves so far.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Cranky

Quote:

So is your concept comedic versions of Poe stories? I'm a bit unclear- you don't ever really come out and say what the series is. I also don't see the comedy in your synopsis of the pilot episode...

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 12-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
So is your concept comedic versions of Poe stories? I'm a bit unclear- you don't ever really come out and say what the series is. I also don't see the comedy in your synopsis of the pilot episode...
Adapting and modernizing horror stories that I found comedic. Not "haha" funny per say, but irony is a big part of comedy and hanging your pet from a tree and then being subjected to the gallows is pretty ironic.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:20 PM
Cranky

Quote:
Adapting and modernizing horror stories that I found comedic. Not "haha" funny per say, but irony is a big part of comedy and hanging your pet from a tree and then being subjected to the gallows is pretty ironic.
And what is Jamie Lee's role in all this? Is she hostess? Does she appear in the series? Or is she producer?

So many questions left unanswered!

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 12-14-2008, 08:22 AM
No charge for awesomeness

So the Elves 48 hours are up and they only had 3 people answer questions?
Old 12-14-2008, 11:05 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwind22 View Post
So the Elves 48 hours are up and they only had 3 people answer questions?
Yes. 48 hours are up...and it seems like the rest of the Elves didnt want to do the hard work.

Anyway, I request all Judges to send me their grade-sheets based on the entries above.

Then we move on to the Second Test for the Ogres.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:15 PM
Waste Disposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
...and it seems like the rest of the Elves didnt want to do the hard work.

I completely forgot about this:(