Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-02-2014, 12:37 PM
ventricle

Ginger Snaps (2000)
6/10

I thought it was OK. The first half was intriguing. Getting to know the two sisters, their relationship with each other & their mom, & young womanhood. Found the last half and ending disappointing.

Katharine Isabelle sure was smokin...
cigarettes. All the teens were smoking cigarettes. Was that symbolism, a story device (it wasn't just the sisters), or does every highschooler in Canada smoke? Just curious.

SPOILERS....................
The slow change to werewolf, relating to puberty, specifically for a woman, was a nifty story device. But a little bit past the midway point, there was very little development, and it got fairly stale to me. Although the older sister (Ginger) continued the change to the obvious outcome (animalistic, in both ways), there was no more reveal, development nor change of the younger sister, nor their relationship. So I was waiting for the end for the last half of the film... which just seemed a bunch of filler of teen angst, smoking & saying f*ck... I was starting to think this was just for teens.

Also, I thought the ending was disappointing, as it seemed abrupt, contrived & not a resolution to all the interesting aspects of the film, namely: puberty, sisterhood, daughter-mother. I'm all for 'unhappy' or 'realistic' endings, but it should still be the film's resolution. Film saying menstruation means the end of sisterhood & motherhood relationship, or AIDS is deadly? If the ending attempted to say puberty brings an end to childhood relationships & begins new adult relationships, I'd be fascinated; but I didn't see any attempt at resolution.

Am I expecting too much from a horror film? Maybe, but I got the impression Ginger Snaps was something more, not just something a little different.

Last edited by Sculpt; 10-02-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:03 PM

PROXY 2013

A young mother to be is viciously attacked setting off an incredulous chain of events. Well impressed.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:45 PM
Evil Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglewitch View Post
Good, he needs to die for once in one of his movies.
What about Collateral?
Old 10-02-2014, 05:19 PM
ventricle

Dead Silence 2007
6/10

A quality made film. I found quite scary at parts. The cinematography, sets, lighting, sound, and constructed shots of scary scenes, were really well done. It peaked high on my scary meter.

The story, plot and characters, were not nearly on par with everything else I mentioned. I'm not citing the actors, they didn't have much to work with. The story/plot/characters were shallow.

Too bad the producers didn't use some of this large budget to hire a good writer to expand on the story concept adding depth to plot & character; cause with this directorial team, this could have been a huge film hit.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Evil Sweat

Horns (2014)
Meh. First half was alright after that I started caring less and less.
I was mainly disappointed because I expected something different.
Then when I realised what kind of story it was I still thought it was pretty dumb.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:04 AM
Pirate of Bengal

The Best Offer (2013)

Geoffrey Rush once again elegantly shines through here with the lead role of Virgil Oldman, a master auctioneer & an eccentric genius art-expert, known and appreciated by the world. Donald Sutherland plays his close & old friend Billy Whistler who helps him to acquire a secret private collection of master paintings. And then there is Robert, played by the young, talented Britt actor Jim Sturgess who is not only a great craftsman for any sort of "Clock Work" but also a love expert and becomes a close & friendly adviser for Oldman when this brilliant auctioneer & secret art collector becomes obsessed with an extremely reclusive young heiress, Claire Ibbetson who always refuses to be seen in person. And they all get tied up into this twisted tale of undeniable love & a web of mysteries & suspicion.

Comes from the maker of MALENA (2000), this 'GEOFFREY RUSH' film is so beautifully filmed that the little predictable twist at the end not even going to ruin your fun by any means. And for that the credit goes to the awesome cast who just made this film an utterly delightful watch from start to finish.

Highly recommended to V, NE, hammy & newb. You'll have a great time for sure.

>>: A-

Don't Blink (2014)

Oh man! and I thought this was going to be one of those films...where recently dead people take their time to realize what actually happened to them. But it wasn't that kind of movie but I like to tell you what was this all about...some guy gave a fascinating but incomplete idea to the writer/director Mr. Travis Oates and then vanishes without a trace!!

Anyway, just for the good production value, good cast and a seemingly 'interesting plot'...

>>: B-

Last edited by roshiq; 10-04-2014 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:03 PM
Evil Dead

Devil

"Devil" is quite silly at times, but at least it's entertaining and sometimes very thrilling. The acting isn't very good, and the characters are rather generic: overly-serious black guy, crazy old lady, asshole businessman, and boring guy and girl. Many plot points are so silly that they are unintentionally funny. Apparently, you know the devil is near if a child hits his head on the table when he falls, and suicide notes are either completely insane or completely rational, never both. I think I liked this movie because it's sort of a modern version of Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None" which is one of my all-time favorite novels. I recommend it if you can get past the sillier plot points.

C
Old 10-04-2014, 03:15 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
"Devil" is quite silly at times, but at least it's entertaining and sometimes very thrilling. The acting isn't very good, and the characters are rather generic: overly-serious black guy, crazy old lady, asshole businessman, and boring guy and girl. Many plot points are so silly that they are unintentionally funny. Apparently, you know the devil is near if a child hits his head on the table when he falls, and suicide notes are either completely insane or completely rational, never both. I think I liked this movie because it's sort of a modern version of Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None" which is one of my all-time favorite novels. I recommend it if you can get past the sillier plot points.

C
The jam part was pretty stupid but i quite liked it

Old 10-04-2014, 05:25 PM
Evil Dead

Hostel: Part II

If I had to describe this movie in one word, it would be "trashy". Part 2 is almost exactly the same as the first movie, except the three guys are replaced with three women (one is hot off the set of the Princess Diaries), and the gore is so much more gratuitous. There is absolutely no tension or suspense in the movie, mostly because we've seen it all before in the first one. I guess what we're supposed to be scared of is a woman taking a bath in blood and a man getting his dick ripped off. The "protagonists" are so boring that I seriously thought that there were only two girls and not four, and the acting is absolutely horrendous. Where the first one had legitimate suspense and a sort of Wes Craven type vibe to it, this one is just... trashy. "Hostel: Part II" is possibly one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

>> F-
Old 10-04-2014, 07:53 PM
病気の

The Possession Of Michael King, 2014. 6/10

Found., 2012. 9/10

Tags
movie