Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-30-2016, 04:12 PM
Evil Dead

This free speech argument is completely irrelevant. I don't think the argument here is about if they should be arrested or not. You can't just say that someone being insensitive is "breaking taboos." It's just being an asshole. Breaking a taboo would imply that there's some sort of legitimate reason and deeper meaning behind this when there isn't any sort of meaning here. Their intent wasn't to say that reality is scarier than fiction. They're trying to get publicity that they "made fun of the fags who got what was coming to them." I don't get offended by things easily, and I like to welcome debate on controversial topics. There's no debate in this "haunted house," just senseless hatred.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:05 PM
Evil Puppy

Free Speech

Which is not free from repercussions. I would hope there are Christians out there leaving that church in droves, businesses in the community pulling their donations/support from the place, and a general tone around town that says, "Stay away from them, they're as bad as Westborrow.". As for being arrested? No way...
Old 10-30-2016, 07:03 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post

Quote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b064e1b4b30687
QUEER VOICES
Haunted House That Planned To Recreate Scenes From Pulse Massacre Canceled

A Christian haunted house intended to take place in an elementary school has been shut down amid outcry that it planned to recreate real-life massacres for entertainment, including the shooting at the gay Orlando nightclub, Pulse.

Guests of “The Room: A Journey To Hell” on Chicago’s South Side were promised “in your face scenes of dark reality,” according to an online ad for the twisted fun house.

But it wasn’t until ads depicting some of the house’s horrors were released that the public realized just how dark these scenes were.

“When I saw Pulse was mentioned, my head just about blew up. How could they depict that?” one turned-off patron named Nat told the Windy City Times. (Nat didn’t want their full name used.)

The Chicago haunted house planned to feature scenes from Orlando’s Pulse nightclub where dozens of people were shot and killed in June.
Nat added they were particularly incensed by how the event focused on moral choices.

“It’s time to face the consequences of your actions....” the ad read. “The choice is life or death; sin or salvation; heaven or hell. The scenes will be action-packed, real and jaw dropping.”

“Whose moral choices are we talking about?” Nat asked. “Is it immoral to just want to go out and be with your friends and dance? And what really bothered me was that this was in a public school supported by our tax dollars.”

Tyrone Tappler Productions, the event organizer, announced on Twitter Saturday that “The Room” was “officially banned.” The tweet linked to a Facebook post that had been deleted by Sunday morning.

In a later tweet, Tappler, who identifies himself as a licensed minister in an online bio, responded to criticism by calling himself a “trailblazer.”

Earlier this year, the production group had reportedly put out a call on Facebook for volunteers to help recreate the June shooting that left 49 people dead and 53 others wounded, according to the website New Now Next.

“Club Pulse, Dancers, Victims … CAGED PEOPLE/SCREAMERS, Extras needed trying to escape a cage! … SOUNDS INTERESTING? COME OUT THIS SATURDAY!!!” the Facebook ad reportedly read.

Other scenes the house supposedly planned to feature included a botched abortion and the 2015 shooting at a Charleston, South Carolina, church that left nine people dead.

The event was scheduled to take place at Fernwood Elementary School from Oct. 29 to Oct. 30, with tickets ranging from $10 to $20, according to an online ad.

A spokesman for the Chicago Public School System told the Windy City Times that the event was revoked, and that the organizers hadn’t been forthcoming about its content.

“The event organizers mischaracterized the true content of the event, and we did not approve any association with the activities the organizers have now advertised,” spokesman Michael Passman said.

The production company could not immediately be reached for comment Sunday.
Well HDC, free speech or hate speech?
Did you just ask, "free speech OR hate speech?

That kind of blows my mind. If the nation has Free Speech, then how is "hate speech" something other than "free speech"?

"Hate Speech" has been defined, you know, by someone, but I read it's not an legal term. Here's wikipedias definition:
Quote:
Hate speech is speech that attacks a person or group on the basis of attributes such as gender, ethnic origin, religion, race, disability, or sexual orientation.
I've heard hate speech on basically every episode of Family Guy I've happened to watch. I know all you guys against this haunted house event, are also trying to ban Family Guy, because I know none of you are hypercritical.

The US Supreme Court has maintained that speech can be restricted if it specifically promotes imminent violence. So that is the threshold at which it can become something other than "Free Speech", so to speak. There's also restrictions/prosecutions/fines against libel and things related to that.

So what is conveyed at this haunted house could be both free speech and hate speech.

But is what's written is this article enough to conclude there was going to be hate speech? If there is, I missed it. Maybe someone can point it out to me, without making assumptions. And in the above posts, I've read a lot of assumptions.

The bigger point to me is beyond the specifics we're guessing about with the little info we have about this haunt. Namely, freedom of speech is our most fundamental and important right. If we lose that, everything we have is in imminent danger.

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
― George Orwell

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
-- Evelyn Beatrice Hall

“I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.”
― Oscar Wilde

“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
― George Washington

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
― John Milton

“Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Sculpt; 10-30-2016 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:28 PM
Horror Fan

Sculpt, I get the sense you believe hate speech is a made up term, but as you correctly note, not all speech or expression is constitutionally protected. I think there are problems with relying on the court's definition. But, the imminent threat here may be incitement. If some Christians had left the haunted house with its advertised message in mind:

Quote:
The choice is life or death; sin or salvation; heaven or hell. The scenes will be action-packed, real and jaw dropping.
Then the church could be held accountable if an individual(s) took that message to an extreme. This is not a haunt but a recruiting ground. What do you think of that.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:37 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
Sculpt, I get the sense you believe hate speech is a made up term, but as you correctly note, not all speech or expression is constitutionally protected. I think there are problems with relying on the court's definition. But, the imminent threat here may be incitement. If some Christians had left the haunted house with its advertised message in mind:

Quote:
The choice is life or death; sin or salvation; heaven or hell. The scenes will be action-packed, real and jaw dropping.
Then the church could be held accountable if an individual(s) took that message to an extreme. This is not a haunt but a recruiting ground. What do you think of that.
I honestly don't understand how that haunt quote incites violence. Will you please explain it to me?