Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-29-2008, 12:24 PM
The Dork Knight

Unless there's something obvious(A recommendation, something I've been waiting to see, Eastwood, Kevin Smith ect.), I tend to be a bit indecisive about what to watch. So alot of the time it's the first thing I go over and say ''why not'' to.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:29 PM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSTIN316426808 View Post
Unless there's something obvious (A recommendation, something I've been waiting to see, Eastwood, Kevin Smith ect.), I tend to be a bit indecisive about what to watch. So a lot of the time it's the first thing I go over and say ''why not'' to.
Almost the same as me. I can completely dig that.

And more often that not I end up enjoying my selection. In the end, it turns out to be not bad decision at all.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Zydrate Anatomy

I can watch dark films anytime, be it horror, thriller, black comedies or film noir. I like dark stories, especially with plot twists. Films that are a little bizarre and artistic (Lynch is a good example), I would also through into this category.

Plot is very important though, I can't get through a film if it doesn't have a substantial plot or character development. I spent way too much of my youth watching bad movies on late-night cable and there are just so many great films out there that I don't want to waste time on the bad ones anymore. I will watch a movie if I like the trailer though, but I will stay away if the reviews are really bad.

I'm also a fan of foreign films and other obscure films. I get some sort of weird satisfaction watching something that the mainstream knows nothing about.

Sometimes mood does affect what I watch and I also really love comedies too. Most of these movies are from the 80's when I grew up and some of the movies that have come out in recent years as well. There are a few old ones that grace my collection though, Some Like It Hot is a good example.

I do like to collect DVDs as well though I try to limit my collection to things that I will view many times and ultimately end up memorizing most of the movie lines, which I repeat when viewing the film again much to my husbands annoyance. :p

Dramas and Chick Flicks are definitely my least favorite genres. I tend to stay away from these movies because I tend to find them boring and uninteresting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna26 View Post
Movies and books are how I unwind, and are a pretty big part of my life. I am a total book and movie geek and I am happy with that....:)
As do I. I am an only child and had to learn how to entertain myself growing up, so I would immerse myself in a good movie/book.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:44 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Mostly preferred Horrors which are critically appreciated and highly recommended by HDC members (I maintain a separate xl sheet for that;) ). And very often I go for movies with notable stars/directors also. But as it's a quite hard task to find good horrors locally so sometime I have no option other than grab & watch some B Horrors with an open mind:rolleyes:.

When luckily I get couple of quality horror films with me then I prefer to mix them up with some dramas & comedies or whatever with my movie schedules.

There is a funny/weird thing I like to add here. After bought a dvd (online or locally ) of a highly acclaimed horror film for which I have been waiting for a long time, I like to keep it for a while before give it a watch, there is a strange feeling inside me that tells me to not to see it immediately or in a hurry. There may be nothing special left for me for a long time, so I wait till another good movie add to my collection and then I choose a special day or in a night before some holidays to enjoy it Alone.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:25 PM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

I want to be taken out of my reality. I want to see things that I wouldn't see in my day-to-day life. I want an adventure - be it comedic, tragic, thrilling, scary or just plain fun.

Give me spectacle and spleandor... just make me care.

There is nothing more pointless than a huge set-piece invovling characters that I couldn't give two shits about. Make me care, make me feel and I'll love you for it.

I'm an easy critic. I want to love everything I see. I want films to be good, so I tend to overlook flaws in plot or logic as long as the characters feel real, the pacing works and the film doesn't violate it's own rules

Pacing really is one of the most important elements. When it's perfect you don't even notice it. When it's off the whole film suffers.

Give me a good film, please! Thrill me!

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon

Last edited by Roderick Usher; 09-29-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:35 PM
nightcreature33

Talking Wat makes a GOOD MOVIE

The number one aspect...I look for first and foremost in a movie is story and then lighting and camera work. There are many aspects that have to become one coherent whole in order to achieve a good movie, such as the acting, location, production design/value, sound, and editing. If these are all done well then you got yourself a good movie...
Old 09-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to La Chat Noire
I try if I can to seek out movies that are more atypical, or not predictable I guess. Occasionally I'll be in the mood for standard happy ending romantic comedy, but those moments are rare. Happy endings always feel cheesy and fake. I think sometimes that's why I like horror so much, to an extent. Even when the victim survives, it's never really a happy ending because you know the victim will spend the rest of their life having to deal.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:06 PM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

For the last year my movie watching trends have been mediocre at best. I find myself watching mostly stuff I've already seen.

Why?

I think I've stated this in another thread, but I have a very hard time watching movies with other people around. I like my atmosphere suited perfectly to me, and with roommates that's nearly impossible. If I watch movies in my bedroom I usually just fall asleep. I'm working on turning my garage into a man cave, so after that I'll be able to watch movies more frequently. If I get disturbed once during a movie, a lot of the times I just get flustered and quit paying attention.

A little childish, I know, but (and it'll be a race to see who makes a joke out of this statement first) there are somethings a man just needs to have his privacy to enjoy.

So I watch a lot of movies that I've already seen because it doesn't piss me off if I get distracted during them.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Maggie:}

Send a message via AIM to pinkfloyd45769 Send a message via MSN to pinkfloyd45769 Send a message via Yahoo to pinkfloyd45769
I usually try to find movies that you guys recommend or speak highly of.If i'm going out to get a movie i usually browse on here for titles.My mood never really makes me chose to watch or not to watch a movie.Its more like i'm on a mission to find the movies mentioned here and not much though iis in it other than that.I do find myself watching movies over and over,Spiderman is one that i view quite often.I like all genres,even the mushy stuff.I guess in the end its mostly you guys that decide what i'm going to watch.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Wanna Join?

Mood of course, but what determines the mood? Could be the director, the book it was based of, not so often the actor unless its Nicole Kidman or some such. Even the composer. I'll watch almost anything with a score by Bernard Herrmann or Ennio Morricone. But to go backwards for a moment, one thing that makes me NOT want to watch a movie is if I have, say an R rated version in my collection and an unrated director's cut suddenly hits the stands. This makes the original not just an edited version but a censored one. Cinematic slaughter kills it for me.

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE