Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouse mac View Post
Independance Day: biggest load guano Ive seen in a long time
Did any one really rate that film?
Old 06-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Foxhole Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
Did any one really rate that film?

Not sure, but at the time I was in a minority of 1 of those who hated it. Some of my friends came out of the cinema after we'd watched it absolutely raving about it.

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac
Old 06-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Misanthrope

Guy Ritchie's flicks come to mind.

Dude's a really ratshit director considering all the praise lumped on him.

Part of all the Tarantino-lite bullshit that ruined the crime genre for a very long time.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Evil Dead

Sin City, Lord of the Rings movies, Pirates of the Carribean movies, Harry Potter movies - I hate them all.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Cranky

To all you 2001 haters- you find this film boring because you haven't seen it in the proper environment. Now hear me out.

I saw this film on its initial release in a true Cinerama theatre-

Quote:
Cinerama is the trademarked name for a widescreen process which works by simultaneously projecting images from three synchronized 35 mm projectors onto a huge, deeply-curved screen, subtending 146° of arc.
Omaha, my home town, had one of three "super-Cinerama" theatres ever built. Watching a film 35 feet tall and so wide an arc that you had to turn your head both to the left AND the right in order to see the entire image is nearly indescribable.

2001: A Space Odyessy was the perfect film for this venue. No film has ever been made with a wider scope thematically- the birth of humanity up to the end of humanity. The scope and sweep of this theme is told in beautiful broad strokes primarily visually. The marraige of the theme with environment (the theatre) was a mind-blowing - truly an odyessy for the mind. When you see that space station, 35 feet tall, with the majestic circular movements of the camera and the stately Strauss waltz your jaw just drops open and you go OMG, as your head pans the screen and you see each little scene taking place in each little window of the space station. There is no way somebody watching this on a 48" television could understand the impact this film had. Even seeing it in a conventional theatre carries none of the magic of the intended experience.

Some might say the film is no good if it can't convey its meaning whatever way it's shown. That's akin to saying War & Peace is a crap novel because the Classics Illustrated adaptation lacks power.

2001 is the greatest epic film ever made and the few million people who saw it as it was intended know that. It's really a shame people can't have this experience, because even though I was only 12 years old when I saw it at The Indian Hills Cinerama Theater, it's something I will remember for the rest of my life.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 06-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to missmacabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
To all you 2001 haters- you find this film boring because you haven't seen it in the proper environment. Now hear me out.

I saw this film on its initial release in a true Cinerama theatre-

Omaha, my home town, had one of three "super-Cinerama" theatres ever built. Watching a film 35 feet tall and so wide an arc that you had to turn your head both to the left AND the right in order to see the entire image is nearly indescribable.

2001: A Space Odyessy was the perfect film for this venue. No film has ever been made with a wider scope thematically- the birth of humanity up to the end of humanity. The scope and sweep of this theme is told in beautiful broad strokes primarily visually. The marraige of the theme with environment (the theatre) was a mind-blowing - truly an odyessy for the mind. When you see that space station, 35 feet tall, with the majestic circular movements of the camera and the stately Strauss waltz your jaw just drops open and you go OMG, as your head pans the screen and you see each little scene taking place in each little window of the space station. There is no way somebody watching this on a 48" television could understand the impact this film had. Even seeing it in a conventional theatre carries none of the magic of the intended experience.

Some might say the film is no good if it can't convey its meaning whatever way it's shown. That's akin to saying War & Peace is a crap novel because the Classics Illustrated adaptation lacks power.

2001 is the greatest epic film ever made and the few million people who saw it as it was intended know that. It's really a shame people can't have this experience, because even though I was only 12 years old when I saw it at The Indian Hills Cinerama Theater, it's something I will remember for the rest of my life.
... I like 2001.

as far as overrated films go for me:

The Godfather
Scarface
Jurassic Park (don't hit me Ferret!)
Titanic
and anything with Arnold, Stallone, Segal or VanDamme in it.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkytrio666 View Post
The Terminator. Or, for that matter, mostly every James Cameron movie. I hate The Abyss, too. Talk about a director who loves to watch himself make spectacles.
i know a guy who worked with him a few times, apparently he's a huge dick as well.

Click for B-Movie reviews!
Old 06-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Cranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmacabre View Post
YES!

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 06-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Boooo! :mad: :mad: :mad:

and it's Seagal motherfucker :D
Old 06-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
Quote:
you suck.
;)

Click for B-Movie reviews!