Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Evil Dead

"The Man From Laramie" (1955)
-James Stewart

Plot: IMDB
A stranger defies the local cattle baron and his sadistic son by working for one of his oldest rivals.

Phantom's Review: One of the greats. Terrific action, acting and story. A classic.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:21 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Basket Case (1982)

>>: B+
Old 08-11-2010, 04:43 AM
Bad Natured

Pusher 2: With Blood on my Hands (2004). While this sequel to the groundbreaking Pusher lacks the testy fast pace of the original, it instead creates an atmosphere that lets this one stand on its own as a movie. Shot in a linear sequence, most of the cast are actually street criminals, and the biting edginess is almost palpable. Basically, this flick revolves around a scumbag's life after his release from prison. Amidst general stupidity and heavy drug use, the best of life's choices are not always made. This guy is such a lowlife that it becomes unimaginable that the viewer can feel for him, and yet we do. Through the blur of a cocaine haze, Tonny, our antihero, wants all of the same basic things in life as would any person, but instead finds his family and friends have abandoned any semblance of respect for him and even themselves. Of course, things turn foul for Tonny, how could they not? The acting was intense and phenomenal, the direction another example of guerrilla filmmaking. The story was perfectly simple and effective, though sadly believable. Overall, this was an impossibly terrific followup of the original.
derek

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:39 AM
No redeeming qualities

Inception--7/10

A fine movie, no doubt, but I can't call a film "brilliant" when the film's first hour is nothing but exposition.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Team America: World Police

Absolutely love this film :D

The Ferrets like it...
Old 08-12-2010, 01:45 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Watched this again..

Despite being a huge Titus Pullo fan - I was worried a Brit might not make a good Frank Castle then after seeing the intial (non red band) trailer I was afraid my concerns were justified...

Then the redband trailer came out and the rest is history...

This fucking great film is very inspired by Gareth Ennis' version of the Punisher and Stevenson is just perfect. Its crass, funny, violent and everything the previous Punisher films weren't.....

Domic West truely chews up the scenary as Jigsaw along with his psychotic brother Loony Bin Jim.....There's also an all too brief appearance by Maginty...

Last edited by Ferox13; 08-12-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:04 AM
Bad Natured

Early Summer (1951). First things first, this classic burns like incense, slow and wonderful. For those easily bored don't bother. That said, like watching incense burn, the tapestry of our character's existence becomes mesmerizing. This incredible flick is a subtle exposition of Japanese culture as seen through the differing generations that exist under one roof. Even more so, that this occurred during the highly transformation period of Japan at the end of the US occupation demonstrates the rapid evolution of an eastern culture with the contrast between the traditional grandparents, the liberated and business-minded children, and the horribly bratty grandchildren. As the story comes to its denouement, the resultant emotional strife is relegated as inevitable in place of culpability. The story unfolds under the static eye of a beautifully composed camera lens, and the nuances of Japanese culture are elucidated through the brilliance that is routine life. The acting is relaxed and natural, with performances whose genius is hidden in magnified nuance. As well, the beauty of Setsuko, the focal point of Early Summer, becomes almost blinding with each and every smile. Flouting little things such as plot, this story is nonetheless riveting and is a treat to watch. Ozu's direction is inspirational through his uniquely static poetry of the screen.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:05 AM
DIGITALLY REMASTERED

Mommie Dearest with Faye Dunaway, when I watch this film I don't think about Joan Crawford, to me its a cryptic hommage to William Castle, too many references to Mr Castle, some parts of the film was too close to StraightJacket. Christina.......bring the axe.:rolleyes:
Old 08-12-2010, 09:12 AM
No redeeming qualities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
*Punisher: War Zone*
My biggest problem with P:WZ was the schizophrenic tone. It was part Burton's Batman and part Nolan's Batman, and it never achieved a balance between the two in my opinion.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Little Boo

Watched the "The Orphanage". Really well done movie. I was not disappointed at all. Though I felt the plot never really meant anything in the end.

I give it an 8/10