Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-07-2010, 01:03 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Damn! Lately found 3 dvds of Sinbad films in a store and bought them instantly (7th Voyage, Golden Voyage & Eye of the Tiger); I wish they'd had Sinbad Of The Seven Seas also!:(

Anyway, Ferrigno as Sinbad is looking awesome!:) Definitely going to check it out soon, added to my torrent download list.

Fire in the Sky (1993)

>>: A-

Galaxy of Terror (1981)

>>: B+

The Girl who Played with Fire (2009)

>>: A-
Old 12-07-2010, 04:43 AM
Bad Natured

The Last House on the Left (2009). For me, this was what a remake should represent, the essence of the original but with either a fresh, updated, or even a "fill in the holes" approach. This remake succeeded on almost all levels. With one exception that I have yet to figure out (the motel maid holding the key), not a scene is wasted. Everything serves to fill in the gaps of the original, gaps that were ignored to a ghastly level. All the "yeah rights" were addressed in a manner that made this remake believable, something that was almost completely ignored in the original. The acting was pretty solid on all accounts. The direction took this film seriously, hinting at exploitation but never stumbling off course, all the while creating a wonderfully shot atmosphere which highlighted the beauty hidden in the gritty realities of life. The camera work was almost an understated picture of perfection. I am a sucker for an enterprising cameraman, but my admiration for this work is bred in both the ostensible as well as the subtle beauty that this lens was decisively attracted to. The only sneer of this remake might be found in the lamentable and unnecessary last scene, but even this is forgivable. In fact, the whole of this flick triumphs over this superfluous ambition in that it does not really cloud the wholesale efforts given to a much denigrated genre. Merci beaucoup.
Genruk

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:55 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho d View Post
The Last House on the Left (2009). For me, this was what a remake should represent, the essence of the original but with either a fresh, updated, or even a "fill in the holes" approach. This remake succeeded on almost all levels. With one exception that I have yet to figure out (the motel maid holding the key), not a scene is wasted. Everything serves to fill in the gaps of the original, gaps that were ignored to a ghastly level. All the "yeah rights" were addressed in a manner that made this remake believable, something that was almost completely ignored in the original. The acting was pretty solid on all accounts. The direction took this film seriously, hinting at exploitation but never stumbling off course, all the while creating a wonderfully shot atmosphere which highlighted the beauty hidden in the gritty realities of life. The camera work was almost an understated picture of perfection. I am a sucker for an enterprising cameraman, but my admiration for this work is bred in both the ostensible as well as the subtle beauty that this lens was decisively attracted to. The only sneer of this remake might be found in the lamentable and unnecessary last scene, but even this is forgivable. In fact, the whole of this flick triumphs over this superfluous ambition in that it does not really cloud the wholesale efforts given to a much denigrated genre. Merci beaucoup.
Genruk
It also lacked pee.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Banned

Inception

excellent......it's nice to have to think sometimes watching a movie.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Stagey, mishmash of a couple of Sherlock Holmes stories (though mostly The Sign of Four). Pretty decent supporting cast outdo the wooden American Charlton Heston in his role as the famous detective...Interestly, Holmes is just after shooting cocaine in his opening scene..

Not great but not a terrible entry into my attempt to watch every Holmes film/show available..
Old 12-08-2010, 05:50 AM
Bad Natured

A Clockwork Orange (1971). Why my mom let me see this as a child is confounding. Having another peek at this near classic, I realized that this is simply a masterpiece, one that most people will not have the fortitude to appreciate. No one wants to look in the mirror and see reality, only preconceived notions. A Clockwork Orange offers no such convenience, but instead agglutinates the worst of human nature into a noxious though charming young man. Kubrick takes us on a journey of this little monster, a man we come to loathe, only to find that society's answer to this little problem is even more loathsome. We are left with no common thread of morality and only a discombobulated sense of humanity whose only repose is found couched in denial. A Clockwork Orange will likely say different things to different people, but it will never offer a palatable morsel of existence verite, leaving us humans without direction for our compulsive and grimy fingers to point at in our efforts to pin down the culprit of humanity's misfortunes. Malcolm McDowell portrays the perfect manifestation of humanity gone awry, a character we'd all like to disassociate ourselves from but that will always remain lurking as an integral element of our own shadows. Technically, artistically, and symbolically, this was a masterpiece of film making on all levels. The choice of music was genius in that it helped to disconnect us from the atrocities that accosted us. The result is an icky layer of scum that cannot be washed away as it is in fact housed in our basic genetic code. We are gritty human animals and no sense of cultural inculcation will ever brainwash human nature out of us. Merci beaucoup.
Genruk

Old 12-08-2010, 07:29 AM
Banned

Centurion

another Neil Marshall movie that didn't get great reviews [ am I the only one who liked "Doomsday" ? ]

I thought this one was pretty good......once you get past the CGI blood.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:20 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
Centurion

another Neil Marshall movie that didn't get great reviews [ am I the only one who liked "Doomsday" ? ]

I thought this one was pretty good......once you get past the CGI blood.

Neil Marshal. SOLD!!

"Harry Potter 7" 7/10

Definitely not the best in the series.

My favourites are still 2 & 3. Back when they didn't cut back on the colors. What's up with that??
Old 12-09-2010, 04:11 AM
Bad Natured

April Fool's Day (1986). This seemingly standard-fare 80s horror flick is far from average. Cornered into a one word description, fun is the one comprehensive term that best describes it. The childish pranks that are played and their result fall prey to the the horrors that will follow. But let us not gloss over the pranks, for they make up a huge element of this flick's entertainment value. And while the notion of sex is a concentration that these youngins cannot seem to fulfill, there is not a gratuitous scene within miles. The acting is a notch above average, perfect for a flick of this caliber. Great editing and fun transitions serve to keep one's chained to the screen. How the shot composure concentrates on color collaborations makes it a visual treat. This is simply a nice variation of the genre flicks of this crazy era. Merci beaucoup.
Genruk.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:48 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Animal Kingdom (2010)

I think if Hollywood made it then this would probably gain the central focus on coming Oscar. That old woman playing the grandma (Jacki Weaver) gave a marvelous performance. Same goes for Ben Mendelsohn as Pope Cody. Liked the ending, I was very much expecting that to happen for the last half n' hour. Overall an excellent slow burn crime family drama.

>>: A

Body Double (1984)

>>: B+

The Truth (2010)

>>: C-