Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Music
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-13-2004, 03:47 AM
Undead

Send a message via AIM to Thor
Metal

Metal is just that metal and hardcore is just hoped up punk rock, lets not confuse the two styles very different I started out with hardcore, Judge, Youth of Today, Leeway, Killingtime aka Raw Deal, Sick of it All, Minor Threat, Gorillia Biscuits, Underdog, Poison Idea, No for an Answer to name but a few. Metal has a few different genres but it's bottom line still metal, most of it has been done before and was done better then. Death metal: Chuck Schuldiner's Death, Obituary, Early 90's Napalm Death, Morbid Angels' first two offreings great stuff obviously I'm leaving alot out Grindcore How could anyone think of grind with out thinking about Suffocation The Human Waste Ep. is the Shit. The whole point of this is that this new stuff is just the old re-hashed and usually not as good or just really generic and so bland, I'll always explore new things in music but, Korn come on man the guitar sound has been done and done better, pre-packaged viacom garbage. main stream kids have no idea how many basement shows have you been to, do you support your local scene man I gotta go to Toronto if I want to see anthing decent.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:22 PM
BMXICAN

I agree with your taste in music Thor I listened to a lot of those bands you mentioned back in the day. I loved Sick Of It Alls Blood Sweat and No Tears album, fucking wore it out. Agnostic front also. Obituary, Death and I absolutely loved Harmony Corruption by Napalm Death wore that fucker out also. Their Utopia Banished album was good to. Nowadays the stuff I like is
Pro-Pain of course and Skinlab, Pissing Razors, Eyehategod, Crowbar, Diesel Machine, Diecast and shit like that.

Also I just listen to plain old heavy shit, no labels just heavy.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:01 PM
Undead

Hardcore remembered

Man I don't know how I could have forgotten to mention Agnostic Front "Cause for Alarm" "Victim in Pain" Liberty and Justice for..."

Man that was geat stuff back then and now. I vividly remember seeing AF at the Skyroom on Seneca St. in Buffalo, Ny. The year was 1991 it was January 5th. The bill was Agnostic Front, Sick of it All, Biohazard, Zero Tolerance, and No Joke. Under the title "The Superbowl of Hardcore" Shit too bad it's not like that anymore it's just a bunch of dumb kids football moshing and trying to hurt each other, speaking of which two weeks ago I went to a show and this kid was doing that late 90's style kickboxing he hit me so I took it upon myself to kick him back he stated "If you're going to be up front be prepared to be hit." I replied "If you hit me I feel obligated to hit you back." and it ended with that, but I just think kids just don't get it, it was about going out and having a good time. If someone next to you fell down while dancing you made an attempt to pick them up so they didn't get trampled, that no longer happens either. It sucks that things have degenerated into what we have now. No one has any identity, the few kids that I hung out with in high school that listened to hardcore still do and I still hang with them today we're more like brothers than anything, of course we're all into metal, and were then. Anthrax was always big on my list their "Among the Living" album was is classic lets see, man there's just so much, Thrash Metal Oh Man, Vio-lence "Eternal Nightmare" and Oppressing the Masses" just some plain old fasioned metal man I'm a Dio fan whether it be Blackmores' Rainbow or Dio era Black Sabbath or his solo stuff granted he's not as good as he was when he started but it's still Dio Slayers' "South of Heaven" "Reign in Blood" is possibly the best record ever produced well this is turning into a book so that's it for now.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Post-Moderation

I grew up with Reign in Blood, south of heaven was pretty good to, but Reign in blood (especially "dead skin mask") was the only slayer that really rocked my socks...
Old 05-14-2004, 06:15 AM
BMXICAN

Damn Thor I thought I was one of the only ones that listened to Vio-lence! Also Forbidden, Death Angel, Coroner, Heathen, Testament, Biohazard ( one of my faves) Exodus, Seputura, Nuclear Assault, Overkill ( another fav still to this day I listen to Horrorscope alot. I just can never seem to get enough of that album) Kreator, Suicidal Tendencies, and Anthrax another fav, I love the Among The Living album also.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:00 AM
Undead

Thrashard

Yeah Death Angel "The Ultra Violence" man totally awesome Testaments' "Pratice What You Preach" Coroners' "RIP" Biohazzard I only liked the first lp. and "Urban Discipline" Exodus "Bonded by Blood" I don't know if it gets any better. Hmm Sepultura let see how about "Arise" or "Beneath the Remains". Nuclear Assult "Survive" "Game Over" "Handle With Care", Overkill " I Hear Black" "Horrorscope" both greats. Kreators' "Flag of Hate" "Terrible Certainty" "Endless Pain" Suicidal Tendencies "Lights, Camera, Revolution" my personal favorite although How "Will I Laugh Tomorrow" has it's strong points as does "Feel Like Shit Deja Vu" What about Sacred Reich "Ignorance" "Surf Nicaragua"Ep. DRIs' "4 of a Kind" and "Thrash Zone" Manowar lets see I think they say "if your not a friend of metal you're no friend of mine" awesome...
Old 06-26-2006, 05:35 AM
Misanthrope

I listen to Victim In Pain/Cause For Alarm/Urban Discipline/Beneath The Remains/Chaos A.D/The Bleeding/Vulgar Display a lot.

Labels are bullshit really. Straight up honest heavy music is somthing that has always appealed to me. Didn't see Assuck mentioned tho.... amazing shit that everyone should be blasting real fuckin' loud while real fucking wasted.

Whatever happened to that Arioch kid? :)
Old 06-26-2006, 06:38 AM
Your funeral... my trial

Mmmm... necromancy...

Anyway, I think that metalcore is terrible, and grind is mostly so, but there are quite a few notable exceptions, such as:

Pig Destroyer (Absolutely brilliant lyrics. Probably the best grind band around.)
Man is the Bastard (Two basses, no guitar, and drums. Unique stuff.)
Agathocles
His Hero is Gone
Bolt Thrower (Gone death metal now, but the early records are great, especially if you happen to be a Warhammer 40k geek like yours truly.)
Extreme Noise Terror

And of course, the immortal Anal Cunt. How can you argue with songs like "I Snuck a Retard Into a Sperm Bank"?