Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-05-2004, 12:48 PM
zipperface

Send a message via AIM to HappyCamper Send a message via Yahoo to HappyCamper
while i'll agree with most of you, CGI has been over used at times, it comes in handy when there's no other way to accomplish the desired effect. For instance, alot of the movement of Spiderman was done with CGI, mostly the parts, with him swinging from building to building..and i thought it looked pretty good, but that's because they actually spent the time to make it look good. I think the worst CGI i've ever seen was in the movie, "Jumanji"... granted it was a bad movie to begin with, the monkeys looked so incredibly fake and cartoon like...
Just listen to this sentence and tell me what it means. I haven't seen Evil Dead II yet? Would you get the impression that i wanted to see it? Oh, well you couldn't have been dying to see it or else you would have already gone. So in your opinion would I definitely see it?
How the fuck should I know probably!
Why? Because it's a brilliant film, it's so funny, and the soundtrack kicks fucking ass!
Old 02-05-2004, 02:51 PM
King of Klowns

Send a message via AIM to Killer Clown#1
Re: on cg

Quote:
Originally posted by nightbreed
to be completely honest. i cant remember seeing a cg monster that i couldnt tell was cg. as a matter of fact ive never seen anything come out of a computer that could be descibed as "from my darkest nightmares". the closest in realism that comes to mind was gollum, and even he had his moments.

my issue with cg is that it completly kills the makeup industry. answer me this- what looked better, the wolf in American Werewolf in London, or the Cg wolves in American Werewolf in Paris. The zombie effects in day of the dead, or the zombie effects in resident evil?. And granted it does take talent to design and render cg charactors, but i personally believe that there is far much more skill in the application and design of practical effects. there is somthing very special about drawing somthing on paper and watching it come to life in front of you in actual reality.

I mean really movies like matrix II/III and blade II. those fight scenes looked like dick, because we all new it wasnt real. it looked like a fucking cartoon.

what i do appreciate is the melding of the two feilds. movies like LOTR, Last Samurai and others are doing a very good job or integrating both styles. personally i think that were beginning to reach the peak of computer graffics and that instead of seeing effects that are completely cg, well see effects that are a mixture of cg and practical. i expect for the two feilds to evolve togeather in sybiosis.
Agreed:)
Old 02-05-2004, 03:00 PM
NARF!

Send a message via AIM to MythMan84 Send a message via Yahoo to MythMan84
ya it's not that hard to tell a real and a fake monster, it was kewler when they used animatronics i personally thought it just looked realler
Old 02-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to fluffho Send a message via Yahoo to fluffho
i think part of the issue too is to pay someone to be the voice is a lot cheaper than to pay someone to act

make-up can get expensive as well, especially some costumes take between 3-7 hours to apply.

they're pretty stingy too, on planet of the apes remake, they saved all the hair pieces. you'd think that hair is cheap but apparently not! i think it was llama or emu hair
Old 02-05-2004, 04:24 PM
Evil Dead

CGI= SHIT...People use CGI because they think it looks more real and it's pretty much faster. If it is done right it looks okay like in Jurassic park. It only looked good in that though because they used anamitronics mixed with CGI. It doesn't look good in horror movies though. Like in that shit movie Final destination 2. When the guy gets all gut up and his arms and body falls apart his arms don't even hit the ground and they disappear! So yea CGI might work in a space movie or whatever but it wont work in a horror movie! :mad:
Old 02-05-2004, 04:45 PM
Returning after eternity.

Quote:
Originally posted by fluffho
wait..

ik just call it CG

what is the I for?
Computer Generated Imagery

Or..

Computer Generation (CG)