Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-03-2005, 11:59 AM
Fulci Lives!

Send a message via AIM to MrShape Send a message via MSN to MrShape Send a message via Yahoo to MrShape
I'm still having fun.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
You pour your attention into a film and everything else disappears
Precisely the reason why films like The Blair Witch Project are so important - these days it seems to take an unconventional approach to the genre to truly grab the viewer's attention.

Films breaking the mould like this are not for everyone of course, as we have seen.

However from this reviewer's persepective, suspending the weight of disbelief (and minimising distractions) long enough to allow such a film to seep into your bones brings great reward when the 90 minutes are over - this probably could not be called fun, but perhaps... exhiliration... the product of fear and adrenaline generated by a plausable situation turned horrific by the unknown (and, crucially, by the end of the film: the unexplained).
Old 08-05-2005, 03:39 PM
Evil Dead

The problem is they are not subtle anymore, the comedy is either there or it isn't

If i want to watch a comedy, that is what i watch, but if i want a dark moody horror I don't expect humor.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:24 PM

Send a message via ICQ to AmericanManiac Send a message via AIM to AmericanManiac Send a message via Skype™ to AmericanManiac
Quote:
Originally posted by meetthecreeper
See Devils Rejects

I laughed out loud at some parts in the film.

Loved it.
Devils rejects was brilliant! Picked up where house did but way differnt perspective. One part actually made my stomach turn :D Gotta give TWO thumbs up to Rob Zombie great film!
Old 08-11-2005, 03:32 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
For me, there's a huge differnce between a "fun" horror movie and a "good" horror movie.

Some "good" horror movies are, for example: The Shining, Session 9, or Night of the Living Dead. For the most part, they take themselves seriously and deliver some genuine chills, plus leave you with something to think about.

Examples of "fun" horror movies: House on Haunted Hill ('99), Creepshow, Freddy vs Jason. They dont nessesarily have any redeeming quality [Ex. good acting], and they may not exactly frighten you. But for whatever reason, they're definatly very enjoyable.

I have examples of each in my Top 10 List:

1.The Shining [1980] - GOOD
2.Pit and the Pendulum [1961] - MIX
3.Theatre of Blood [1973] - FUN
4.The Abominable Dr. Phibes [1971] - MIX
5.Silence of the Lambs [1991] - GOOD
6. Dog Soldiers [2002] - MIX
7. House by the Cemetery [1981] - GOOD
8. Night of the Living Dead [1969] - GOOD
9. The Amityville Horror [1979] - GOOD
10. Last Man on Earth [1964] - GOOD

Honorable Mentions:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre [1974] - GOOD
Day of the Dead [1985] - GOOD
Session 9 [2001] - GOOD
The Fly [1986] - FUN
Dracula [1931] - MIX

As you can see, many of my personal favourites fall inbetween, and that thers plaent of room for "fun" on my list.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:44 AM
whatever gets you through

Quote:
Originally posted by EXTR3MIST
Precisely the reason why films like The Blair Witch Project are so important - these days it seems to take an unconventional approach to the genre to truly grab the viewer's attention.

Films breaking the mould like this are not for everyone of course, as we have seen.

However from this reviewer's persepective, suspending the weight of disbelief (and minimising distractions) long enough to allow such a film to seep into your bones brings great reward when the 90 minutes are over - this probably could not be called fun, but perhaps... exhiliration... the product of fear and adrenaline generated by a plausable situation turned horrific by the unknown (and, crucially, by the end of the film: the unexplained).
I think this is dead-on. I just finished reading a book about the history of horror films and one of the points it made is how all the "classic" horror films (like Dracula, Psycho, Halloween, etc.) were unconventional. Of course, nowadays, we think they are the "standards" - but when they came out they were startling and new. I though it was really interesting to read about how audiences totally freaked out at films like the 1931 Dracula or Psycho. Whether its "fun" I don't exactly know.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:14 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
Quote:
Originally posted by Zero
I think this is dead-on. I just finished reading a book about the history of horror films and one of the points it made is how all the "classic" horror films (like Dracula, Psycho, Halloween, etc.) were unconventional. Of course, nowadays, we think they are the "standards" - but when they came out they were startling and new. I though it was really interesting to read about how audiences totally freaked out at films like the 1931 Dracula or Psycho. Whether its "fun" I don't exactly know.
Yep, you have to wonder how much fun the people that lost it so completely during the first showings of The Exorcist were actually having. :p It is so rare to see something different and truly effective that audiences just aren't responding. We've seen it all before, absolutely nothing is really shocking anymore.

I still have a lot of fun with horror films, but it is very rare when a horror film has an actual effect on me. Meaning they don't stick with me anymore. There is nothing that will stay with me quite like Night of the Living Dead or The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, for example, because when I saw them for the first time, I had never seen anything like them before.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:11 AM

Send a message via ICQ to AmericanManiac Send a message via AIM to AmericanManiac Send a message via Skype™ to AmericanManiac
I think a good horror movie makes people get up and leave during it. How the government tries to do something about it because some kid blames a crime he commited on a movie that he saw.

Im in the process of writing my first script and if I do it correctly how I want it done its going to piss a lot of people off and make people sick :D WHOEVER creates any sort of controversy is music, movies #1 in my book !
Old 10-13-2005, 03:05 PM
whatever gets you through

There's a great line by John Landis - something to the effect that a really good horror movie makes you want to shout - "hey, you can't show that?!?!?!"
Old 10-13-2005, 05:35 PM
sarajane

Cool

some horror movies are still fun. but i like the old a little better. you know the ones that make you jump. i like to turn every light in the house off and watch a good horror film. some films these days dont give me that jump i am looking for in some.
sara jane