Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Upcoming Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-03-2008, 01:18 AM
For Vendetta

October 29, 2008

Warner Bros. intends on producing four DC Comics movies by 2011, including Batman 3. One project that the studio has long kicked around doing -- and almost did this year until it fell apart -- is Justice League of America.

The question was whether Batman, as currently realized by director Christopher Nolan and actor Christian Bale, would fit in the more comic booky realm of JLA. Nolan thinks there is a place for Batman in such a movie -- but not his Dark Knight.

"I don't think our Batman, our Gotham [Nolan's emphases], lends itself to that kind of cross-fertilization. It goes back to one of the first things we wrangled with when we first started putting the story together: Is this a world in which comic books already exist? Is this a world in which superheroes already exist?," Nolan told the Los Angeles Times.

He continued, "If you think of Batman Begins and you think of the philosophy of this character trying to reinvent himself as a symbol, we took the position -- we didn't address it directly in the film, but we did take the position philosophically -- that superheroes simply don't exist. If they did, if Bruce [Wayne] knew of Superman or even of comic books, then that's a completely different decision that he's making when he puts on a costume in an attempt to become a symbol. It's a paradox and a conundrum, but what we did is go back to the very original concept and idea of the character. In his first appearances, he invents himself as a totally original creation."

And when asked whether the studio is pressuring him to make a third Bat-film sooner rather than later, Nolan replied, "They're being extremely gracious. I have a very good relationship with the studio. They know that I really needed to go on holiday and take some time to figure what I want to do next. They've been very respectful of that, which is terrific and one of the reasons I enjoy working with Warner Bros."

Christopher Nolan gave a very diplomatic answer when asked recently whether he could see himself NOT directing another Batman film.

"Well ... let me think how to put this. There are two things to be said," Nolan told the Los Angeles Times. "One is the emphasis on story. What's the story? Is there a story that's going to keep me emotionally invested for the couple of years that it will take to make another one? That's the overriding question. On a more superficial level, I have to ask the question: How many good third movies in a franchise can people name? [Laughs.]"

He continued, "At the same time, in taking on the second one, we had the challenge of trying to make a great second movie, and there haven't been too many of those either. It's all about the story really. If the story is there, everything is possible. I hope that was a suitably slippery answer."

Nolan was also asked whether, given how The Dark Knight ended, if the plan was to bring The Joker back for the next installment. (That, obviously, would be difficult now in light of Heath Ledger's death.) "No, really and in truth, I only deal with one film at a time. I find myself sort of protesting this issue a lot. We've never attempted to save anything for a sequel or set up anything for a sequel. That seems improbable to some people because, particularly with Batman Begins, the film ended with a particular hook [with Jim Gordon showing Batman a Joker playing card announcing the arrival of a new villain in town]. But for me that was just about the excitement of people leaving the theater with the sense that now we have the character up and running."

He added, "Then I got excited about seeing where that character would go. It was planned in advance, but it followed in that way. But we tried our hardest to really do everything in this movie that we would want to see the Joker do and to get that in the fabric of the story as much as possible. We wanted the Joker's final taunt to Batman to be that they are locked in an ongoing struggle because of Batman's rules. There's a paradox there. Batman won't kill. And the Joker is not interested in completely defeating Batman because he's fascinated by him and he enjoys sparring with him. It's trapped both of them. That was really the meaning of it. Of course what happened is Heath created the most extraordinary character that you would love to see 10 movies about. That's the bittersweet thing. It was incredible characterization. It is a bittersweet thing for all of us."

Last edited by _____V_____; 11-03-2008 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:17 AM
For Vendetta

December 16, 2008

There has been a lot of buzz lately that Batman 3 is further along than the powers-that-be have let on. Today's gossip claims the sequel is currently being scripted and that Warner Bros. has an Oscar winner in mind to play the villain.

According to E! Online columnist Ted Casablanca, "Warners sources are leaking to us that Rachel Weisz is being considered for the Catwoman role."

Weisz, 37, starred in the first two installments of The Mummy, as well as The Fountain, Constantine, About a Boy, and The Constant Gardener, for which she won an Academy Award as Best Supporting Actress.

If Weisz is indeed cast as Catwoman then she would not be the first Oscar winner to play the feline fatale. Halle Berry, who the Best Actress nod for Monster's Ball, starred in the ill-fated Catwoman standalone film. Michelle Pfeiffer played the same in Tim Burton's Batman Returns.

E! also claims that Christopher Nolan will indeed return to direct the film, and that Christian Bale will be back to star. The site adds that "we're very pleased to report that he'll be playing a 'sexier' Bruce Wayne" in the next sequel.

Meanwhile, if any of you have read/ are reading the following article, take it with a huge pinch of salt :-

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle2048300.ece

Last edited by _____V_____; 12-18-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
December 16, 2008

There has been a lot of buzz lately that Batman 3 is further along than the powers-that-be have let on. Today's gossip claims the sequel is currently being scripted and that Warner Bros. has an Oscar winner in mind to play the villain.

According to E! Online columnist Ted Casablanca, "Warners sources are leaking to us that Rachel Weisz is being considered for the Catwoman role."

Weisz, 37, starred in the first two installments of The Mummy, as well as The Fountain, Constantine, About a Boy, and The Constant Gardener, for which she won an Academy Award as Best Supporting Actress.

If Weisz is indeed cast as Catwoman then she would not be the first Oscar winner to play the feline fatale. Halle Berry, who the Best Actress nod for Monster's Ball, starred in the ill-fated Catwoman standalone film. Michelle Pfeiffer played the same in Tim Burton's Batman Returns.

E! also claims that Christopher Nolan will indeed return to direct the film, and that Christian Bale will be back to star. The site adds that "we're very pleased to report that he'll be playing a 'sexier' Bruce Wayne" in the next sequel.

Meanwhile, if any of you have read/ are reading the following article, take it with a huge pinch of salt :-

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle2048300.ece
Are you just ignoring the Eddie Murphy as The Riddler rumor in hopes that it's not true or that by not acknowledging it, it will never happen? ;)

The same guys who got laughed at when they leaked info about Daniel Craig being considered for Bond...
Old 12-19-2008, 07:45 PM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
Are you just ignoring the Eddie Murphy as The Riddler rumor in hopes that it's not true or that by not acknowledging it, it will never happen? ;)

The same guys who got laughed at when they leaked info about Daniel Craig being considered for Bond...
You could say that. If that happens I ll personally go over and shoot Chris Nolan.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:34 PM
Evil Dead

Thumbs down batman movies

i hate batman , so i hate the batman movies:mad:
Old 01-12-2009, 07:01 AM
For Vendetta

January 12, 2009

Remember a few months ago, when Aaron Eckhart was telling all and sundry that Harvey Dent/Two-Face, the villain he so memorably played in The Dark Knight, was definitely dead?

Well, he seems to have maybe changed his mind, having said the following to MTV News at the Golden Globes on Sunday: "I think Harvey - if he's not dead - is in a serious coma and I'm not sure he's coming out. They might pull the plug on him."

Whilst he still doesn't sound too optimistic about reprising his role as the villain in Nolan's second Batman sequel, the fact that Eckhart is now saying his character is alive is certainly more ambiguous than what he was saying back in September, when he told Coming Soon: "He is dead as a door nail. ... He ain't coming back baby!"

The fact that he reckons his character may well be alive will give hope to Bat-fans eager to see Two-Face in Batman 3.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Warner Brothers is starting to piss me off with their fake security breaches and cast members used to leak antinews.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:52 PM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
Warner Brothers is starting to piss me off with their fake security breaches and cast members used to leak antinews.
I think its just a bit of pre-Oscar publicity gimmick, now that they are re-releasing TDK.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Cranky

Where's all the brouhaha over Ledger's win at the Golden Globes? I expected all you Batman fans to be all over this.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 01-12-2009, 08:02 PM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Where's all the brouhaha over Ledger's win at the Golden Globes? I expected all you Batman fans to be all over this.
I celebrated that.

Since nobody took any interest in the BFCA Awards I posted in General, I refrained from making a Golden Globe Winners thread, although I thought about it more than once.

Next stop, the Oscars. There will be a thread for that for sure, interest or no interest.