Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-02-2009, 03:04 AM
HDC Idol

I like 2001, too.

And I agree on all counts about Friday the 13th - DEFINITELY overrated slasher. Loved the last frame, though. Classic.

Since people are ragging on The Black Knight (which I thought was good, but not AMAZING), I would like to add that I thought Batman Begins was terrible. Christian Bale is NOT a good batman.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 06-02-2009, 03:16 AM
Misanthrope

What would you rate as good slashers?
Old 06-02-2009, 03:20 AM
Analrapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Since people are ragging on The Black Knight (which I thought was good, but not AMAZING), I would like to add that I thought Batman Begins was terrible. Christian Bale is NOT a good batman.

It's his Batman voice. Made me absolutely cringe during Batman Begins.

Thug means never having to say you're sorry.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:31 AM
Cranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellfire1 View Post
It's his Batman voice. Made me absolutely cringe during Batman Begins.
It really is. It just sounds silly.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 06-02-2009, 03:39 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
Guy Ritchie's flicks come to mind.

Dude's a really ratshit director considering all the praise lumped on him.
Agreed..........
Old 06-02-2009, 05:25 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
What would you rate as good slashers?
Halloween and Black Christmas. Then again, it could be that I'm just not a fan of the 70s/80s slasher film.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 06-02-2009, 06:23 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to BloodRedFlower
Hmmm overrated?

Citizen Kane
:p
Old 06-02-2009, 06:25 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Halloween and Black Christmas. Then again, it could be that I'm just not a fan of the 70s/80s slasher film.
Halloween is overrated..
Old 06-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Foxhole Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
To all you 2001 haters- you find this film boring because you haven't seen it in the proper environment. Now hear me out.

I saw this film on its initial release in a true Cinerama theatre-

Omaha, my home town, had one of three "super-Cinerama" theatres ever built. Watching a film 35 feet tall and so wide an arc that you had to turn your head both to the left AND the right in order to see the entire image is nearly indescribable.

2001: A Space Odyessy was the perfect film for this venue. No film has ever been made with a wider scope thematically- the birth of humanity up to the end of humanity. The scope and sweep of this theme is told in beautiful broad strokes primarily visually. The marraige of the theme with environment (the theatre) was a mind-blowing - truly an odyessy for the mind. When you see that space station, 35 feet tall, with the majestic circular movements of the camera and the stately Strauss waltz your jaw just drops open and you go OMG, as your head pans the screen and you see each little scene taking place in each little window of the space station. There is no way somebody watching this on a 48" television could understand the impact this film had. Even seeing it in a conventional theatre carries none of the magic of the intended experience.

Some might say the film is no good if it can't convey its meaning whatever way it's shown. That's akin to saying War & Peace is a crap novel because the Classics Illustrated adaptation lacks power.

2001 is the greatest epic film ever made and the few million people who saw it as it was intended know that. It's really a shame people can't have this experience, because even though I was only 12 years old when I saw it at The Indian Hills Cinerama Theater, it's something I will remember for the rest of my life.

I was 12 when I first saw 2001. One of the TV channels was doing a whole night of Sci Fi, two films and documentarys, 2001 was the culmination of the evening. Id always heard how good it was and was really looking forward to seeing it.

The first half hour did not disappoint, the dawn of man piece was brilliant but the moment the film moved into space it became a chore to watch. The visuals you describe and the impact they had on you are a far cry to what I experienced, no doubt partly due to the medium I watched the film on. I have given it a second chance but still felt the same, even though I do enjoy HALs final scenes with Dave.

If the oppotunity arose for me to watch it in the type of cinema you describe, I would definately give a go and compare the difference, but i dont think that is likely.

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac

Last edited by scouse mac; 06-02-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to missmacabre
Quote:
Boooo! :mad: :mad: :mad:

and it's Seagal motherfucker :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mothman View Post
you suck.
;)
This is what I mean. I like an action movie just as much as any guy, don't get me wrong. There is, however, this unspoken guy rule where the certain action starts are god. I can't speak ill of David Carusoe around my boyfriend or he goes bat shit crazy about how I just don't get it. These guy's guys actors who can't act worth shit, in movies that only get ratings because there are so many wannabe, macho men in the world.

aaaand I'm prepared for the fact that most of you are gonna want to burn me at the stake now.