Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Horror Fiction Posts
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-26-2009, 07:14 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Holy crap, Chrono- that documentary footage is chilling. A truly plausable, harrowing premise for a horror film. You knocked it out of the ballpark, IMO. As to the marketing- why not actually sponsor some new research into this fungus? Your film could in fact become NEWS.
Isn't it HORRIFYING?!?!?!

The first time that I saw that footage I was horrified and memorized at the same time. Even rewatching it, it just makes me SHUDDER.

I'm glad that you like it. And thanks for the feedback. :)

I agree with the Marketing - I think it's the one part of my pitch that's SERIOUSLY lacking. I was just exhausted when it came to that part... I really like the idea about sponsoring more research and having more actual documentary clips re: this fungus and other subtle predatory parts of nature (check out the stop motion fungus takeover of Planet Earth: Jungles: Growing Fungi). I really like the spin of natural horror juxtaposed with sensationalized fictional horror. Also, the concept of nature evolving and finding a way to combat its biggest natural threat - Us - is both petrifying, science fictional, but grounded in truth.

I like the idea of an environmental horror film ACTUALLY gaining news based on its sponsored documentaries - Great way to spread awareness of the film AND environmental issues.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 01-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Roshiq- One major quibble right from the start though- in this day there would be no map with pins on it- it would all be computerized. If you can get past that, you have some excellent ideas.
Damn! I thought of that at the very beginning just after my selection of IBTL for a remake; but somehow I totally forgot to write down the point. Anyway, I thought the map with the pins on a wall can still be shown in a way suppose that's a some sort of tradition which they are maintaining for years in that particular cemetery office (besides everything being computerized). And that's may be become a reason for Robert to 'reluctantly or accidentally' put the black pins on the wrong spots at the beginning.
Otherwise, we should go for a remake with the same time period of the original one.:D

Quote:
There are some missteps at the end, IMO. Why not have some brief shots of zombie like creatures? They could be explained as Robert's visions, and could be very scary.
yeah..that's actually sounds very nice and I'm sure anyone would love to see that. But the thing is why I didn't go for that is zombie & vampire are the least favorite segments of horror to me.:o Please don't get me wrong cause I'm not saying that I don't like zombie or vampire movies, that's only just a personal preference of mine after the sub-genre of psychological thriller, slasher and Ghost/Supernatural. So I completely agree...I should go with the idea of having some brief shots of the dead, it definitely add some more entertaining value to the horror of the film.

Quote:
Too much explanation at the end. Just show the priest finding the black pin on Robert's location and end it there.
Totally agree, that would be fine enough. And I know... I'm not good with the 'explanation' things. :(

Thanks to NE & Doc for your precise comments and suggestions and kudos to Chrono for come up with a pretty brave and great project.

Now just for fun I like to tell you the idea that I though at first after getting the challenge. :D
Though _V_ precisely mentioned to choose a movie from the 1950s, 60s or 70s, but I dared to outlined a film that consists 3 remakes of each decades. Something like Bava's Black Sabbath but instead of having 3 independent short horror stories this film (which I even titled as The Unusual) would have 3 short-length remakes of 3 different films of 50's, 60's and 70's.
Like from 50's there would be a short length remake of I bury the Living, from 60's there would be a S.L. remake of Diary of a Madman or The Skull (I was bit confused to choose between this two) and finally from 70's there would be a remake of British horror The Asphyx (a pretty interesting story). And these 3 tales would be told by an old man to his nephew regarding his personal favorite horror films of his time and as the nephew haven't seen those movies yet so he just visualized those stories with present day's scenario.

The selection of movies was primarily based on the synopsis that I have read on different movie sites.
Anyways, as I haven't seen before or have no chance to see right now the above selected movies from 60's & 70's so I didn't finally make myself convince enough to go for the remakes of such movies that I even haven't seen at all! Moreover, it would be 3 times more pressure for me to answering the challenge that way.

But luckily I found Albert Band's I Bury the Living divided into 8 parts on youtube and loved it for a remake.:)

Last edited by roshiq; 01-27-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:37 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Quote:
Ferret- Agreeing with the Doc on this one. The solution of "we'll add CGI and everyone will come see it!" is one of the worst things about remakes of horror movies. Some of the casting seems off to me as well. Additionally- this doesn't seem like a likely Coen Brothers project. This was an average effort.
The reason for the CGI was because Spielberg regularly states how much he hated shooting Jaws and that the shark would never work. Of course, if remade he could go for much better robotics but looking at his recent films I think he favors CGI now. But I do agree, CGI isn't the basis of a good film.

The Ferrets like it...
Old 01-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

I'm going to take a major risk here. Seeing as how I've been taking risks throughout the competition, some turning out better than others, I'm going to have to follow my heart again and do what I originally set out to do.

I thought about this long and hard. I'm remaking not only a masterpiece, but an Asian movie which has been overdone as of late and could bring the backlash of a lot of people. I'm also doing more of a re-imagining than a straight remake, which might bring the wrath of the judges as well. Nevertheless, I'll do what I feel gives me the best shot of moving on.

Kwaidan

Directed by: Jim Jarmusch

Written by: Chuck Palahniuk

Original Plot (as taken from IMDB):
This film contains four distinct, separate stories. "Black Hair": A poor samurai who divorces his true love to marry for money, but finds the marriage disastrous and returns to his old wife, only to discover something eerie about her. "The Woman in the Snow": Stranded in a snowstorm, a woodcutter meets an icy spirit in the form of a woman spares his life on the condition that he never tell anyone about her. A decade later he forgets his promise. "Hoichi the Earless": Hoichi is a blind musician, living in a monastery who sings so well that a ghostly imperial court commands him to perform the epic ballad of their death battle for them. But the ghosts are draining away his life, and the monks set out to protect him by writing a holy mantra over his body to make him invisible to the ghosts. But they've forgotten something. "In a Cup of Tea": a writer tells the story of a man who keep seeing a mysterious face reflected in his cup of tea.

Changes in the remake:
I'm going to set the film in the American pioneer days along the Oregon trail. I'm keeping the titles and basic plots of the stories the same, with the exception of Hoichi the Earless.

In “Black Hair,” a Wyoming frontiersman leaves his Native American wife to move west to California to marry a rich business mans daughter. He becomes miserable, and returns to his true love in the cabin in Wyoming to discover that she is no longer who she used to be. His once beautiful wife has died and become possessed by the spirit of the woods to bring her vengeance to him.

In “The Woman in the Snow,” two aspiring miners get lost in a snowstorm in Montana. When they bed down for the night, they are visited by the spirit of a beautiful snow woman, who cannibalizes the elder. She agrees to spare the youngers life if he never speaks again. Years later, the young man has struck gold and made it big in San Francisco. He opens a bank, and engages himself to a beautiful Irish immigrant. Right before their wedding night, he tells her the truth of what happened all those years ago. Little does he know that his wife is the snow woman in disguise, come to test his vows.

Hoichi the Earless will be changed to “Margaret's Tale.” In the story, Margaret is a young blind daughter of a family heading west with a beautiful singing voice. She hopes to sing in California and help support her family while they try to make a new life. They get caught in a snowstorm in the mountains, and many of them die. Out of food and starving, one night Margaret is lured into the woods by a gentleman who offers her food for her and her family in trade for song. When she arrives, there are groups of people in cabins awaiting her. After she sings many songs, they give her hot food and direct her to give it to her party but not inform them of where it came from, lest there be no more. After several nights, Margaret is followed into the woods by a young man who has eyes for her. He discovers her singing to the ghostly spirits of the Donner party, whom have been feeding them the meat of other wayward travelers in exchange for entertainment.

In “A Cup of Whiskey,” we see a young business man drinking and being merry in a saloon. When he peers in his glass of whiskey, he sees the face of a Spanish conquistador. Shaking it off, he drinks it down and continues to celebrate. Flashing back, we see the conquistador employing native slaves to mine gold, and then murdering them and taking all they produced. While the man tries to sleep, the ghost of the conquistador haunts him and tells him he has wronged him. The man tries to fight off the ghost, driving himself to insanity. In the final moments, we see all the wrong the young man has done to others as he slowly puts a gun into his mouth.

Cast:
Mickey Rourke – Husband (Black Hair)
Monique Curnen – First Wife (Black Hair)
Reese Witherspoon – Second Wife (Black Hair)
Jeffrey Donovan – Young man (Woman in the Snow)
Bryce Dallas Howard – Snow Maiden (Woman in the Snow)
Maggie Gyllenhaal – Margaret (Margaret's Tale)
Michael Wincott - Gentleman (Margaret's Tale)
Guy Pearce – Young Businessman (A Cup of Whiskey)
Joaquin Phoenix - Conquistador (A Cup of Whiskey)

Campaign:
For posters, I would do one for each separate story. No words on the poster, just a picture to create the feeling of desolation and loneliness I want to convey to the movie goer.

For TV campaigns, I'd rely heavy on the learning channels to recount supposed ghost tales of the pioneer days and do my best to have interviews with people who had pioneer ancestors tell what their grandparents told them of the hardships.

For viral, I'd encourage all comers to retell their American heritage ghost stories that they've learned from pioneer days, and publish a magazine to be sent to all subscribers for free. I'd insert versions of all four tales told within the pages of the periodical, trying to invite realism and a sense of heritage to the stories that we're telling.

I'll also try to use as little FX as possible. I want all four of these stories to be as dialogue and atmosphere driven as possible. If I can stray from using CGI at all, I will.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Cranky

Well, I like it very much, Mr. Flayed. I think horror films set in the American old West is an underused choice, one that has a lot of potential. I'm a big fan of Jim Jarmush and I think he would take to this project, especially in light of his film Dead Man. He's also done episodic films as well. Great choice.

Chuck Palahniuk I'm not so sure about. He's pretty modern in his focus and I'm not sure if this would be a good project for him.

Kudos for bringing in the Donner Party story. Why there hasn't been a major motion picture made of this episode is beyond me.

I also like your ad campaigns. People are fascinated with the old West and with ghost stories as well. Cable channels are rife with shows that would welcome your sponsorship.

With the exception of Chuck Palahniuk, an excellent offering.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 01-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Joe Lansdale, not Pahlaniuk.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:31 AM
HDC Idol

So I FINALLY caught up with reading all the entries.

Ferret - Fantastic action sequences, but, out of curiosity, why Jaws? And what other movies were you considering?

Bwind - I've never seen Eaten Alive, but that sounds fantastic!

Roshiq - I've never seen I Bury The Living, BUT NOW I WANT TO. Holy CRAP what a great movie to adapt if done properly. And despite NE's qualm about the pins, I can imagine a secluded and not technologically-savvy cemetery not having it all computerized. I think that the pins work and are REALLY well-used. :D

Flayed - "Margret's Tale" is my favorite of all of them. Simpletly phenomenal. I WANT TO SEE IT!

To All: Bwind mentioned the other movies he was considering remaking... What were your other choices? Just curious.

I mulled over remaking The Incredible Shrinking Man but for the purpose of making it thematically relevant to today's political climate.

Glad I didn't. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
Joe Lansdale, not Pahlaniuk.
What about feedback for CHRONO?!?! :p

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 01-28-2009, 06:14 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post

Roshiq - I've never seen I Bury The Living, BUT NOW I WANT TO. Holy CRAP what a great movie to adapt if done properly. And despite NE's qualm about the pins, I can imagine a secluded and not technologically-savvy cemetery not having it all computerized. I think that the pins work and are REALLY well-used. :D
yeah..or as I have already said in my earlier post that they may have some kinda 'tradition or practice' to maintain the map with the pins. Though I have cast Rufus Sewell for the main role 'Robert' but from the very beginning Sam Neill was in my mind, I think he would perfect for the role if the remake could be made just near or after the time of In the mouth of Madness.

Quote:
To All: Bwind mentioned the other movies he was considering remaking... What were your other choices? Just curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Though _V_ precisely mentioned to choose a movie from the 1950s, 60s or 70s, but I dared to outlined a film that consists 3 remakes of each decades. Something like Bava's Black Sabbath but instead of having 3 independent short horror stories this film (which I even titled as The Unusual) would have 3 short-length remakes of 3 different films of 50's, 60's and 70's.
  • from 50's there would be a short length remake of I bury the Living,
  • from 60's there would be a S.L. remake of Diary of a Madman or The Skull (I was bit confused to choose between this two)
  • and finally from 70's there would be a remake of British horror The Asphyx (a pretty interesting story).
And these 3 tales would be told by an old man to his nephew/grand son regarding his personal favorite horror films of his time and as the nephew/grand son haven't seen those movies before so he'd just visualize/imagine those tales of horror films with his present day's scenario or surroundings.

But finally I couldn't make myself convince enough to go for the remakes of such movies that I even haven't seen at all like Diary of a Madman, The Skull and The Asphyx! Moreover, it would be 3 times more pressure for me to answering the challenge that way.

But luckily I found Albert Band's I Bury the Living divided into 8 parts on youtube and loved it for a remake.:)

Last edited by roshiq; 01-28-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:38 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Quote:
So I FINALLY caught up with reading all the entries.

Ferret - Fantastic action sequences, but, out of curiosity, why Jaws? And what other movies were you considering?
Thanks, I appreciate it.

I think I chose Jaws because I love the film, and though I wouldn't want it to be remade, I've always wondered what it would be like if it was made a bit later, mainly around the time that my favorite film came out, Jurassic Park. How would it differ? Faster or slower paced etc. Also, the day before I got the challenge, me and my Drama teacher were discussing Jaws.

I did briefly consider The Birds but decided against it. Jaws came to my head straight after and then I just went with it.

The Ferrets like it...
Old 01-28-2009, 08:15 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Quote:

What about feedback for CHRONO?!?! :p
Matango is a great choice. I always found it pretty squirmy, but that might be because the first time I saw it, I was five, quarantined in an indoor tent with the chicken pox and it was in a double feature with From Hell it Came. Something really icky about Matango, and you've found a way to ick it up. Even better. Everything about this seems pretty cool, with the exception of the Blair Witch crew being involved. Sanchez and Myrick are not strong directors, just strong hucksters. I don't think they'd be able to deal with such a squirmy, makeup heavy film with so much thematic weight. That might just be my own mortal despite of the Blair Witch Project talking. A lot of thought went into this and your grade will reflect it.

And Flayed, the rest of my feedback:
Good use of Kwaidan. Jarmusch might not be the man for the job on this one, but he's a creative enough choice. I think what might be good for viral marketing and has worked before in antho films would be choosing a different director for each of the four ghost stories. I like the other things you're doing for viral marketing, to help enhance the Americanness of the whole thing.