Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Music
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-18-2005, 06:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Deposable
People were sick of Disco? Thats why the Sex pistol blew up? The Disco era was 1977-1980. Disco was nothing when Punk started. The Sex Pistols blew up in 1976.... so how can people be sick of a type of music that wasn't even massive yet?

not so much disco - but over produced sterile music ..
the pistols were all about stripping it down and getting back to basic rock and roll .. a la the eddie cochrane covers (scuse me if i spelled his name wrong)

everything i heard about the pistols were that it was all noise, they couldnt play, etc , etc ... then i heard the bollocks album and it blew my socks off ..
to this day it's still one of the best rock albums of all times.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:49 AM
Banned

Quote:

:eek: The Clash is the Beatles of classic Punk. The Clash is nothing less than fucking amazing. THEY have A LOT of talent. Joe & Micks guitar riffs are awesome. I have never heard two guitar players play off each as good as them.... besides Fugazi. The Clash is more creative, has poetry than any other classic punk band.
i'm not a musician, just a fan ...

I started with the first clash album and bought pretty much every one that came out (all on vinyl - still have them)

i could never listen to more than one or two songs at a time ...

and by the time Combat Rock hit - and radio clash ? ugh ... its terrible...

like i said - personal preference - i dont dislike them but i was never that crazy about them ..

but i fucking love the pistols ..

Last edited by urgeok; 07-18-2005 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:10 PM
Misanthrope

:rolleyes: Combat Rock...... terrible album.
I've never really been huge on The Clash either. They defintaley had some great songs but none of their albums have ever really kept me interested. I watched their move Rude Boy recently and enjoyed it a lot.
The Pistols and a lot of the 'punk' bands mentioned here are rock n roll bands to me. Punk for me never really kicked of until bands like Crass and Discharge came onto the scene. But as far as I'm concerned is more an attitude than a style of music. The first punk in my opinion was Hank Williams then their were the 60s garage bands like The Sonics (these guys started the so-called 'punk sound' and were highly influential on bands like the MC5, Stooges ect).
Old 07-18-2005, 11:33 PM
Is Having a Baby!

Quote:
Originally posted by urgeok
not so much disco - but over produced sterile music ..
the pistols were all about stripping it down and getting back to basic rock and roll .. a la the eddie cochrane covers (scuse me if i spelled his name wrong)

everything i heard about the pistols were that it was all noise, they couldnt play, etc , etc ... then i heard the bollocks album and it blew my socks off ..
to this day it's still one of the best rock albums of all times.
Would you say that The Pistol have talent?
Old 07-18-2005, 11:42 PM
Misanthrope

The Pistols had talent.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:40 AM
No charge for awesomeness

Sid didn't even know how to play. That should speak volumes about their "talent" level. :rolleyes:
Old 07-19-2005, 03:43 AM
Misanthrope

The put out a pretty fucking awesome album I say that shows talent. Good music isn't about technique...... there's plenty of artists that can do amazing stuff techwise that in my opinion are untalented hacks in my eyes.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:02 PM
Is Having a Baby!

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis_Christ
The put out a pretty fucking awesome album I say that shows talent. Good music isn't about technique...... there's plenty of artists that can do amazing stuff techwise that in my opinion are untalented hacks in my eyes.
I couldn't agree more. Like Led Zepplin
Old 07-20-2005, 02:38 AM
Is Having a Baby!

Hey, Elvis. You gotta check out these clowns. I found them looking for Crass pictures. I finlly decided too listen too them. I'll tell you more about them in a bit.

http://tommygunpunx.tripod.com/id2.html
Old 07-20-2005, 06:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Would you say that The Pistol have talent?
talent can be measured in many ways ...
it's impossible to put out an album that good without some
form of talent ... raw energy used effectively is talent ...

so yeah.

(although Malcolm may have had more talent than all of them)

like said in an earlier post - there are people who are extremely competent with their instruments - but they lack something ...

look at an obvious example ... celine dion .... sure she has a powerful incredible voice - but she choses to use it on garbage music (in my opinion)

the technically proficient members of Yes have talent ... but i'd take Bollocks over any Yes album anyday...

yeah i'd say that the pistols were talented ... maybe not technically proficient - but that didnt matter as far as the music they chose to make ...

Last edited by urgeok; 07-20-2005 at 05:28 PM.