Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-01-2006, 08:09 AM
Banned

sure, i'll post my opinion here .. i just hope i get to see it on the big screen 1st.

most of the people i know wouldnt see a horror movie - except one .. and he's got the scheduling difficulties.

i do like atmospheric films .. they dont always have to make sense if they can maintain a cool trippy dreamlike reality and present me with some otherworldly visuals.

i dont like just anything like this .. i have some kind of unknown criteria i cant articulate preprogrammed into my acceptability matrix (i sound like Data) ...

its hard to put a finger on it .. it depends on pacing, subtleties, a lot of little things that need to fall into place in a way that personally appeals to me.

I think i've almost come up with a definition/equation for what makes a movie more style over substance by the way ..

based on something like this :

the more content that is presented in the movie for the viewer - rather than the players in the film ... is the balance of style over substance.

for example :

in Ju-on, or the Grudge :

the elevator scene where the woman is ascending to her floor to get to her apartment ... the cat/boy is on every floor.
She doesnt know that - but we do.
moment like that benefits us the audience - not the characters.... so thats 100% style.

if its handled properly - i love it.

if it has a ham-fisted approach by a director that doesnt understand how to pace or measure these moments - the movie fails.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:16 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
To tell you the truth, i even think the boogeyman was better than this one.

Click for B-Movie reviews!
Old 05-01-2006, 11:37 AM
EVIL CON CARNE

Quote:
i've never even seen the game ... I'll be able to enjoy it on the merits of it's being 'just a movie'
Wise words, I think that if the films are good for those that never had played the games that means that the director has done right his work, I don't care another game fans opinions, if the film doesnt works well for other people that's a bad film, If I wanted just a faithful to the edge adaptation I would play the games again. So if you see the movie please post here your opinion and maybe I give it a chance (It will be on theaters on Spain on July...so take it easy)
Old 05-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally posted by Jacob Singer
I don't care another game fans opinions, if the film doesnt works well for other people that's a bad film, If I wanted just a faithful to the edge adaptation I would play the games again.
I agree with you that the movie should stand on its own apart from the game, though I wish the RESIDENT EVIL makers would have stuck to the game for their story (the games' stories were much better than the movie, IMO). For what i's worth, Jacob, my reaction wasn't influenced by the games; I hated the games, so I didn't go into it wanting it to be like or not like the games. I just hoped it was BETTER than the games. It wasn't. I thought the story pacing and development sucked in the game and in the movie both. And even the review of the gamer I linked to said that the movie was nearly impossible to understand even with a good understanding of the game...much less without one.

A child is missing, and her mother wants to find her...other than that, I couldn't make much sense out of any of it.

I guess I can't stop bashing this movie just because I can't believe how much it sucked. I guess I need to write that damn review already and get it out of my system.
http://www.authorsden.com/macey
http://www.cafeshops.com/aqpwuesthoff
Old 05-01-2006, 12:06 PM
EVIL CON CARNE

DOUH
...sorry I'm a big fan of the games and those words hurts....but yeah, games and films are different "mediums", so it doesn't means that if something works for one would work as well for the other

Last edited by Jacob Singer; 05-01-2006 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:06 PM
Image of the Invisible

Send a message via AIM to ItsAlive75
Quote:
Originally posted by Macey Wuesthoff

A child is missing, and her mother wants to find her...other than that, I couldn't make much sense out of any of it.

I guess I can't stop bashing this movie just because I can't believe how much it sucked. I guess I need to write that damn review already and get it out of my system.
Y'know, this movie's growing on me. There are a few scenes that had be inching in my chair, and not a lot of movies can do that for me nowadays. The scene in the bathroom especially worked on me.

The film's just a bit slow-paced. The Sean Bean scenes (and this KILLS me to say it) were useless... didn't have to be in the movie whatsoever. A moody horror flick that relies on atmosphere and pacing can't be over 2 hours long, it just can't.

And as an avid fan of ALL the games, I can say (at least visually) this movie is extremely faithful. In the one scene where the mother is running down the alley, this is STRAIGHT out of the first game (when she runs past the garage). I couldn't believe it. And let's not forget the babies... STRAIGHT out of the game. Plus the grainy filter that was put over the film was an awesome touch too.

Urge, I'm gonna strongly suggest this flick for ya. NOW you can see it, as I have given my approval.

DEVESTED- The removal of one's vest.

SCTUPP- To deficate on a woman after nonconsensual sex.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:15 PM
EVIL CON CARNE

Quote:
Originally posted by ItsAlive75
Y'know, this movie's growing on me. There are a few scenes that had be inching in my chair, and not a lot of movies can do that for me nowadays. The scene in the bathroom especially worked on me.

The film's just a bit slow-paced. The Sean Bean scenes (and this KILLS me to say it) were useless... didn't have to be in the movie whatsoever. A moody horror flick that relies on atmosphere and pacing can't be over 2 hours long, it just can't.

And as an avid fan of ALL the games, I can say (at least visually) this movie is extremely faithful. In the one scene where the mother is running down the alley, this is STRAIGHT out of the first game (when she runs past the garage). I couldn't believe it. And let's not forget the babies... STRAIGHT out of the game. Plus the grainy filter that was put over the film was an awesome touch too.

Urge, I'm gonna strongly suggest this flick for ya. NOW you can see it, as I have given my approval.

Ok the visual part works well, but do you said about the plot?
What is all the shit about that theres no cult just christian fanatics burning witches? One of the best things on the games is the Silent Hill's cult with their desire to awake the old cult's god (a great reference to Cthulu's mythos)
Old 05-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Image of the Invisible

Send a message via AIM to ItsAlive75
Quote:
Originally posted by Jacob Singer
Ok the visual part works well, but do you said about the plot?
What is all the shit about that theres no cult just christian fanatics burning witches? One of the best things on the games is the Silent Hill's cult with their desire to awake the old cult's god (a great reference to Cthulu's mythos)
True, but I still like what they did with the movie's plot.

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SPOILER

The fact that all those people thought they were staying alive by their faith, when in fact they were in a never-ending limbo was a really great idea. Meanwhile the mother is working under the principle of love for her daughter, and not faith in herself or any God.

I wouldn't want every thing from the game to be in the movie, then I'd know what's going to happen.

DEVESTED- The removal of one's vest.

SCTUPP- To deficate on a woman after nonconsensual sex.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Hellraiser

way to long, it could have been edited down a bit, like maybe to a half hour! the plot sucks , the acting sucks, hmmm what else, oh yeah it just sucks!
Old 05-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally posted by Firemedic
way to long, it could have been edited down a bit, like maybe to a half hour! the plot sucks , the acting sucks, hmmm what else, oh yeah it just sucks!
Couldn't agree more!

And the cult "storyline"? That consists pretty much of all the members running around yelling, "She's a witch, burn her!" "She's a witch, too! Burn her!" "Witch! Burn her!"

That's a STORYLINE? P-U-L-L-L-EAZE!!!

"It's SILENT HILL! Burn it!"
http://www.authorsden.com/macey
http://www.cafeshops.com/aqpwuesthoff