Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Evil Dead

Silent Hill

I never got to play the original.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Evil Dead

Does it play well?
whats the name of the emu?
Ha, I got pissed off and stopped bothering with post-16bit emus a couple years ago - I suppose they coulda made some advances.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
Does it play well?
whats the name of the emu?
Ha, I got pissed off and stopped bothering with post-16bit emus a couple years ago - I suppose they coulda made some advances.
PSXfin is the one I'm using.

It does alright. The best of the ones I've seen so far. Some of the cutscenes are a little off, but it's not so terrible that you can't play it.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Evil Puppy

Comix Zone

Kick ass beat em' up.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:09 AM
Synthetic Flesh

I have been really enjoying Amiga games via emulation recently, do decided to get the real thing.

I used to own an Amiga 1000 between 1986 and about 1990. I gave it away to a family member around that time.

Anyway, this person used it probably once or twice, and then stored it in their garage. There it has sat for the last 18 years.

I only just discovered that they still had my old Amiga 1000, so since they hadn't been using it, I asked if I could have it back.

Picked it up today, and am amazed that it still works.

The original Kickstart and Workbench disks (the equivalent of BIOS and DOS disks) work fine. The floppy drive works, and the keyboard seems to be fine (although I haven't tested every key).

The mouse doesn't work very well - it sticks, and it is sometimes hard to get the pointer to move to the left. I am going to take it apart and see if I can clean the ball rollers and see if that will work. Otherwise, will have to buy a new one.

The monitor seems ok, although I think the monitor cable is a bit flakey. I have had the picture flicker a few times, etc but moving the cable around helps.

Fortunately, you can still get new mouse and monitor cables cheaply, so I think I will just order some new ones.

Still lots more things to test (games, 2nd floppy drive, an old dot matrix printer etc), but at least the basics are intact.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
Alright, im an emulator Noob, how bout's you guys help me out a bit.
Lets say i wanted a PSone emulator, and a place to download games and play them on that emulator, simply, without too much complicated setup, where would I go?

Click for B-Movie reviews!
Old 08-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Synthetic Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mothman View Post
Alright, im an emulator Noob, how bout's you guys help me out a bit.
Lets say i wanted a PSone emulator, and a place to download games and play them on that emulator, simply, without too much complicated setup, where would I go?
I am no expert on Playstation emulation (actually haven't tried any of the emulators for the PSX). But The Emulator Zone has lots to try:

http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/psx/

As I say, I don't know how well they work or how easy they are because I haven't tried any - I tend to prefer older systems for emulation.

Playstation roms are also going to be a fair bit harder to track down for two reasons. Firstly they are newer and therefore copyright issues are more likely to be a problem (ie they wouldn't classify as abandonware and Sony are likley to want to protect their copyrights). Also, because they were CD based, they will be larger files than older systems.

So I think you would most likely find these files on filesharing networks, and those carry the associated risks.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:05 AM
Evil Dead

Does anyone know what platform the game "journey to the centre of the earth" was on? I know there's probably plenty...this one was a bit like the montezuma titles...pre-16-bit by the look of them.
Always wanted to try that again.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:00 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
Does anyone know what platform the game "journey to the centre of the earth" was on? I know there's probably plenty...this one was a bit like the montezuma titles...pre-16-bit by the look of them.
Always wanted to try that again.
Commodore 64
Old 08-11-2008, 08:15 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManchestrMorgue View Post
I am no expert on Playstation emulation (actually haven't tried any of the emulators for the PSX). But The Emulator Zone has lots to try:

http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/psx/

As I say, I don't know how well they work or how easy they are because I haven't tried any - I tend to prefer older systems for emulation.

Playstation roms are also going to be a fair bit harder to track down for two reasons. Firstly they are newer and therefore copyright issues are more likely to be a problem (ie they wouldn't classify as abandonware and Sony are likley to want to protect their copyrights). Also, because they were CD based, they will be larger files than older systems.

So I think you would most likely find these files on filesharing networks, and those carry the associated risks.
Can you give me a link to an emulator that you use that works? I had a Sega Genesis Emulator and SNES emulator, both of which came with packs of about 200+ games, so there was no strings attached.

As for The PSONE Emulator, i downloaded PSX. where can i find ROMS that work with it?
*edit*
Nevermind, PSX Application wont even open.

Click for B-Movie reviews!

Last edited by The Mothman; 08-11-2008 at 08:24 AM.