Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 08:51 AM
For Vendetta

Lukewarm response to The Haunting so far. We will get to it later, if we can.

Moving on...

I am reminded of a certain (very) popular cult classic that people have forgotten in recent times.

Let's revisit the first memories of us sitting down to watch

1 - Do you remember when you first watched it? Theater, VHS or DVD?

2 - Did you get any feedback (from friends or media) prior to watching it?

3 - How was the viewing experience?

4 - How many times have you rewatched it since?

5 - Any memories associated with it, that you wish to share?
Old 01-26-2012, 10:00 AM
Synthetic Flesh

Dawn of the Dead:
Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post

1. I first saw this on VHS in the mid 80's.

2. I had seen stills and read a bit about it in a horror movie book that I had.

3. A bit lukewarm the first time I saw it.

4. I have seen it probably 6-8 times since that first viewing.

5. It was the first of the Romero "dead" movies that I had seen, and probably the first modern zombie film I had seen. I think prior to this, I had only seen older zombie films like "I Walked With A Zombie".

I think I wasn't so impressed on my first viewing because I was used to (and expecting) a film more like these older films - something more plot-driven. However, on subsequent viewings I have come to really like this film, and it is my favourite "modern" zombie film, and probably my favourite zombie film.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:09 AM
From The Beyond

Unfortunately I'm not sure when I first saw it-it's lost in my pre-teen friday night horror viewing but I do remember seeing it in my teens then I saw it again recently. So I've seen it three times-I would say my second viewing must have had the most impact on me-It was the scale of the zombie outbreak and the epic scope of the direction and production. I wouldn't have been able to comment about the film like that at the time but having seen it recently it still affected me in the same way and in no way seemed of it's time-to me it's still relevant today. I think being introduced to this level of gore at such a young age has helped desentisize me in more recent years also cementing my fan appreciate for horror. It's one of those horror films that you could show to action film fans and they would enjoy it to.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:25 PM
Evil Dead

None of those. I watched it on Youtube (I no longer do this, what with the poor visual quality and the fact I now pay for copyrighted material to stay within the law. Silly of me to take such measures so strongly, I know).

This would've been about 4 years ago and it was one of the first horror films I saw.

I was certainly aware of it. It's a very famous film and the fact was not too long after the remake and Shawn Of The Dead, it's one of those titles that even virtually all non-horror-fans know.

Pretty good and I was pretty absorbed by it. As this was one of the first horror films I saw, I remember being blown away by the gore (particularly the sequence where the biker gets his guts ripped out).

I couldn't really count. I'm not good at keeping track of all that and it probably ranks as one of the films I've seen most over and over again. Seen it on the internet, on TV, DVD and Blu-Ray.

I highly reccomend the Blu Ray released by Arrow in the UK (I don't know if Arrow distributes outside the UK, but I don't think so) I got a copy for a good price (£17, which was actually cheaper than the Arrow DVD version which had the same stuff) and you get the Blu Ray cut of the film, two other DVD versions (the director's cut and the Argento cut) plus a lot of special features.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:51 AM
For Vendetta

Anyone else remember their first memories of watching the mighty Dawn of the Dead?
Old 01-29-2012, 08:19 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
1. I rented it at the same mom-and-pop video store that introduced me to so many low-budget, gory classics. I was probably 13 or so.

2. I had read about it in issues of Fangoria. Some of my friends had heard about it, too, and we'd all talk about how awesome it must be.

3. It was great. I watched it with some friends who had heard of it. We all were completely into it.

4. Not sure. Probably at least 10.

5. It's one of those horror films I have that nostalgic connection to. It reminds me of being young, rabidly going through as many horror movies I could find, sometimes borrowing my parents' camcorder and making my own horror movies with friends. I personally don't like it as much as Night or Day, but it's still definitely special.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Misanthrope

I first caught it on VHS. This fucker right here...

...a friend of mine hired it and loaned me the tape and said I just had to see it.

I had heard nothing really before watching it. Don't think it was even mentioned in a lot of the issues of Fangoria I had at the time. It had slipped under my radar and I went into this one fairly blind aside from my friend telling me it had some great gore.

It was like nothing I had ever seen before. It had all the gore and graphic violence that other horror flicks I'd watched at the time promised but never delivered. I found the story and characters really captivating. Loved the tense claustrophobic atmosphere too. I was pretty blown away and it still remains one of my favourite films.

Countless times and three different versions.

Like fortunato mentioned it's a film that holds a lot of nostalgia for me. Brings me back to younger care free times (like a lot of the movies in this thread have/will continue to do) and experiencing the classics for the first time.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:44 AM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
Man, another awesome box. Which version is that?
Old 02-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Immortal horror fan

I've only seen the remake. This and a bunch of movies in the series are on my watch list.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:30 PM
For Vendetta

Anyone else?