Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-01-2013, 01:45 PM
From The Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer View Post
Does anyone else agree this movie is the best of the Phantasm series? It's my personal favorite Horror series and while I love all four of them, I think 2 is easily the best. It's just like how Aliens compares with the first Alien movie, it's a wild and inventive action ride in the same universe of the original movie. I've seen this movie countless times and it's always manages to be incredibly entertaining and rewatchable. It's probably my favorite Horror movie ever and I've seen tons of them. It never gets old for me and you can tell that with the bigger budget he was given, Don Coscarelli was able to take his creation to new heights and explore it in ways he couldn't in the original due to the small budget he had. I can't wait for the Blu-ray coming out next month, it sounds like a true dream come true.

Who else agrees it's the best of the series? As I said before, I adore all four movies and with all due respect to the original which is a classic and a staple of 70s Horror, I always felt Phantasm II was the crowning achievement of not only the series, but also Don Coscarelli's career.
I agree although I actually prefer Alien to Aliens for Phantasm I prefer Phantasm 2 to the first film for the same reasons as you say. I was a lot more shocked and entertained by what happened in Phantasm 2, it really piled up all the horrors in such a way as to be breathtaking and astonishingly dark.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straker View Post
Phantasm I is the best of the series for me, easily. Second movie is great fun and its easy to see it had the budget that the other movies lacked, but if I'm being totally honest, Coscarelli seems like he's at his best when he has less of a budget to swing around. He gets more creative and and the story often shines through more. Phantasm II is awesome and great fun and definatley the easiest of the 4 to watch, but for me the first will always be the best movie, followed by both the second and fourth... and the 3rd, well, that is in a league of its own.

I actually like 3 a lot although I agree it's the weakest. For me it's issues were too much comedy and being a little too much like the second movie, and also Mike being underused. There's no bad movie in the series at all to me, I think all four are great in their own way.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Evil Dead

Just a reminder that on March 26th Phantasm II is hitting Blu-ray, can't wait :cool:
Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Evil Dead

Picked up the new Blu-ray and checked out all of the features sans the commentary, great disc.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:27 PM
Evil Dead

Giving this a small bump if that's okay, hope to see other fans here.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:43 AM
Evil Dead

I`m a fan,i think my avatar indicates this quite conclusively.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Evil Dead

Definitely makes it clear :cool: How do you rank them in order?
Old 05-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Scares Little Kids

how can you choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer View Post
Definitely makes it clear :cool: How do you rank them in order?
I know your question was not directed at me but can you really choose a favorite its like choosing a favorite child you just don't do it you love them all equally.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Evil Dead

I know what you mean, I feel the whole series is great. I still wish a fifth would get made, the series deserves a proper finale.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Evil Dead

Phantasm II is turning 25 tomorrow, anybody else going to try to watch?