Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-09-2016, 11:27 PM
Hellraiser

Watched "Green Room" the other night.

Having spent much of my younger days in the "alternative" scene (lots of skinheads, punks, etc. around at the time) as well as playing in bands, it was fun to watch a movie with that culture as a backdrop. Wasn't sure what to expect, but I really liked it. :)

Last edited by satanah; 09-10-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:45 AM
Evil Dead

Shallows (2016)
I.M.D.B.
A mere 200 yards from shore, surfer Nancy is attacked by a great white shark, with her short journey to safety becoming the ultimate contest of wills.

Enjoyable. CGI is a little dodgy in places which detracted from the tension of the scenes, and the shark attack jump scares were predictable and ineffective, but the woman vs the shark aspect as well as the character's medical background kept things interesting. Overall an enjoyable shark monster movie.
7/10

The Pact (2012)
I.M.D.B.
As a woman struggles to come to grips with her past in the wake of her mother's death and the disappearance of her sister, an unsettling presence emerges in her childhood home.

Effectively creepy. Supernatural elements are a tad stereotypical, but there's some genuine scares to be had, and overall is a very well made, entertaining scary movie.
7/10

Megan is Missing (2011)
I.M.D.B.
Fictional drama based on actual events, about 2 teen-age girls who encounter an internet predator.

Tried twice to watch this one. Couldn't make it. Acting was atrocious, the actor's ages were all over the place, dialogue was terrible, scenes were not believeable - couldn't finish.
Not Watchable
Old 09-10-2016, 08:30 AM
Evil Dead

Wer 2013
Old 09-11-2016, 12:06 PM
Evil Dead

The Disappointments Room (2016)

"A mother and her young son release unimaginable horrors from the attic of their rural dream home."

By no means is this a bad movie, it's just... flat. It seemed like they were going for the next The Others with the minimalist scares and reliance on atmosphere, but there wasn't enough story to make the tension rise. It's difficult to talk about anything particularly good or bad about this movie. There was an obvious effort to make a spooky haunted house movie, but the director, DJ Caruso, just lacked the skill to make one. It's a movie that just kind of exists.

5/10
Old 09-11-2016, 06:51 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeg Head1 View Post

Shallows (2016)
I.M.D.B.
A mere 200 yards from shore, surfer Nancy is attacked by a great white shark, with her short journey to safety becoming the ultimate contest of wills.

Enjoyable. CGI is a little dodgy in places which detracted from the tension of the scenes, and the shark attack jump scares were predictable and ineffective, but the woman vs the shark aspect as well as the character's medical background kept things interesting. Overall an enjoyable shark monster movie.
7/10
I rented Shallows a few weeks ago. Didn't like it.

I don't mean to be contrary to your review. Actually, I agree with all the specifics in your review, except the conclusion, that is.

The lead was interesting enough, and I didn't bail on it, but I was getting bored about half-way through, and thought the climax was underwhelming and very brief, (not to mention pretty far fetched and a bit hokey, which was a bit out of place with a rather realistic -- almost a "Gravity" stark realism film).

I didn't think the suspense was effective, which was basically its bread-and-butter; as it wasn't funny, ironic, profound, inspiring, fun, action-packed or scary.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Shallows (2016)
5/10

Old 09-11-2016, 08:14 PM
I am the turtle lord

Class of Nuke Em' High.
7/10
Sex, drugs, violence. Yep it's a Troma Movie
Old 09-11-2016, 11:11 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I rented Shallows a few weeks ago. Didn't like it.

I don't mean to be contrary to your review. Actually, I agree with all the specifics in your review, except the conclusion, that is.

The lead was interesting enough, and I didn't bail on it, but I was getting bored about half-way through, and thought the climax was underwhelming and very brief, (not to mention pretty far fetched and a bit hokey, which was a bit out of place with a rather realistic -- almost a "Gravity" stark realism film).

I didn't think the suspense was effective, which was basically its bread-and-butter; as it wasn't funny, ironic, profound, inspiring, fun, action-packed or scary.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Shallows (2016)
5/10
Ah you see I thought the whole thing was far fetched and hokey. Instantly the shark was behaving like a psychotic murder shark rather than a real shark, so I could roll with the stupidity of it all. I thought it more of a 'woman vs a monster shark' rather than just a fight for survival, so I could forgive the lack of suspense, and I thought it fun/action packed enough for a woman vs shark movie. I see where you're coming from, but I thought it was about as much as you can expect from a movie with this premise. I would recommend it to people who like monster shark movies, as there are only....like....three others I can think of that are any good.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:43 AM
病気の

The Ghouls, 2003. 8/10

Old 09-12-2016, 07:27 PM
Evil Dead

woohoo totally watching Brainscan right now
Old 09-12-2016, 07:40 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Tyskungen aka The Hidden Child (2013)

>>: B

Antibirth (2016)

>>: C+