Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-13-2013, 09:15 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by metternich1815 View Post
Personally, I am not a big fan of the torture genre. I heard that any beyond two should be explored with caution (in other words, the series is not really that good after two). I heard that six was really terrible. I thought the first Saw was brilliant and the second one was pretty good, but was missing something. Consequently, I view it as good, but that's all. I have not seen any after two.

6 is actually really good, one of the better ones besides the first two IMO, I'd give that one a chance.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Evil Dead

On another note, did anyone go to Universal's HHN Saw attraction? Looks like it would've been pretty fun.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:30 AM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by metternich1815 View Post
Personally, I am not a big fan of the torture genre. I heard that any beyond two should be explored with caution (in other words, the series is not really that good after two). I heard that six was really terrible. I thought the first Saw was brilliant and the second one was pretty good, but was missing something. Consequently, I view it as good, but that's all. I have not seen any after two.
Same here. I'm not a fan o this type of plot (characters being imprisoned, tortured and forced to solve puzzles) but Saw 1 was intriguing. Maybe that was the main reson behind it's success - it was so original and unexpected when it came out that it earned the reputation that could justify so many sequels.

After reading some posts in this thread I want to give this series another chance. Which movies should I skip and which are recommended (except first one)?
Old 06-27-2013, 03:36 AM
Evil Dead

All of the sequels tie heavily into the first movie and build upon various plot points, so you'll want to see all of the sequels. It's also worth noting that each one picks up where the last left off. So you'll want to see all of the sequels at some point.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:07 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer View Post
All of the sequels tie heavily into the first movie and build upon various plot points, so you'll want to see all of the sequels. It's also worth noting that each one picks up where the last left off. So you'll want to see all of the sequels at some point.
I agree completely. To get the most out of any single film in the series, you need to watch each movie in order. That's what got me hooked -- the serial nature of it, and how each movie ties together. If you were to watch one movie in the middle of the series, it would be confusing, and much of the effect would be lost. I'm not saying the story and all it's twists and turns is amazing or anything, but it's like one big soap opera, and that's what makes it fun.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Evil Dead

It's very interesting to go through the series again when you've seen them all, knowing how everything goes down and piecing it all together. It's definitely a series you need to watch in order to understand it.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:20 PM
Dean of Death

I have to say (and I hope that I don't draw too much ire here) that when I watched Saw my immediate response was "these people did not have faith in the central conceit of their film". The movie happened in that room as a play between two characters. Every time we were pulled away from that it became less and less interesting.

In all, I thought it was a brilliant idea, nearly pulled off.

The sequels have seemed derivative and schlocky (don't get me wrong, I love me some schlock).

Just my thoughts.

Last edited by Nates Vault; 06-27-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Evil Dead

Have you seen any of the sequels? They certainly differ quite a bit from the original's approach but they build upon it in an interesting way.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:33 PM
Dean of Death

I believe I have seen them all. My wife loves them. She also loves the Resident Evil movies.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:03 PM
Evil Dead

I've them all many times and have done a couple of marathons of all seven. It's one of my Halloween traditions every October.